Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

We like Rude. We love Food. Its perfect really.
Let us sate your every appetite with Rude Food.

Get warmed up with canapés off a peachy bottomed lady, slippery nipple in hand, and let us finish you off with an unctuous, well rounded sweet with curves in all the right places.

It's much more than just a dining experience, you will be immersed in interactive saucy art, inspired by the classic and tastefully shot Rude Food from David Thorpe in the very early eighties . Slick and sexy, but nothing stays like that for long does it?
Forty fucking quid.

Reactions: CH1
oh ffs!
how FUN + QUIRKY and soooo sexy crazy COOL!

like to see how the apologists justify this

How does this event meet their stated aims to "... provide transformative tools and essential inspiration in order to improve social, emotional, economic and cultural health for all" :confused:

How does this event meet their stated aims to "... provide transformative tools and essential inspiration in order to improve social, emotional, economic and cultural health for all" :confused:
Not quite sure how this elitist food event fits in with their website guff either:
We look for inspiration from the streets of the world; the places that are visceral and rough and ready; where the street drinkers hang out; where the bins are kept.
By establishing our initial bases in working markets in south London (Tooting and Brixton), we are freely accessible to a diverse audience, many of whom would traditionally self-exclude from arts experiences
http://www.thebrickbox.co.uk/about-us.html

Crickey, you've really got it in for them, haven't you?
I'm just quoting their website and letting people make up their own minds.
Nah, none of their events look like my kind of thing, but I'm all up for a bit of diversity.
Me too. But not at £40 a head as that tends to rather limit the 'diversity' of the people who are able to attend, particularly in a poor area.

It's not an exclusively poor area though.
I get angry sometimes at some of the effects of gentrification, but I can't get angry at an arts venue putting on art.
40 quid is a fucking joke though

Yet it will probably still be well attended.
Of course. There's no shortage of well-off people willing to come down to Brixton for a jolly good feast in a private party. But how does this £40 sexy tuck-in relate to their stated aims about being a 'community' arts venture putting on events that are 'freely accessible to a diverse audience'?

Of course. There's no shortage of well-off people willing to come down to Brixton for a jolly good feast in a private party. But how does this £40 sexy tuck-in relate to their stated aims about being a 'community' arts venture putting on events that are 'freely accessible to a diverse audience'?

There's no shortage of well off people already IN Brixton. LIVING HERE! OMG!

40 quid is a fucking joke though
That's what I'm angry about.

The Angel could have been a brilliant venture. They could have brought in working artists and invited the local community to come in and get involved, and put on all sorts of great, inclusive projects - and still had their posh £40 meals. I'm sure there's no shortage of kids on the estate who would love to get involved with something like this.

Instead, it sits there with its windows permanently blacked out to the local community, while behind closed doors those who can afford it enjoy the exclusive slap up meals, 'decadent' Edwardian dressing up parties and sexy food jaunts.

Let the toffs have their fun.
At least we'll know where they are.
We could always start our own arts project
Well, I say 'we'. I can't be arsed

Let the toffs have their fun.
At least we'll know where they are.
We could always start our own arts project
Well, I say 'we'. I can't be arsed
What's wrong with Redgate Gallery or Block 366 then?
Wrong part of Brixton?
SNOUT NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR A RECEDING TROUGH ??????

Editor - why don't you ask them if they would like to host an Offline night?

Then the bar proceeds could go to a community interest group rather than a commercial enterprise. You could stipulate that the takings are used to put on something inclusive.

Having on offline there would introduce the actual local community to the venue, and vice versa.

The money from the offline night might mean they put on fewer hoity-toity nights for revenue-generating purposes.

Everyone's a winner, no?

Sorry, but my club nights only take place in venues where the admission is free and open to all, there's beers on tap and there's a decent sound system.

I don't believe the Brick Box/Angel fit any of those criteria as all of their evening events are priced at a minimum of £5, there's no decent sound system and - AFAIK - there's no beer on tap.

However, if there was a chance the pub could reopen as it was - i.e as a proper community pub - I'd be the first offering to help.

Then the bar proceeds could go to a community interest group rather than a commercial enterprise. You could stipulate that the takings are used to put on something inclusive.

Having on offline there would introduce the actual local community to the venue, and vice versa.

The money from the offline night might mean they put on fewer hoity-toity nights for revenue-generating purposes.

Everyone's a winner, no?
naiive
firstly, why should an established night at an established location move to bolster some half arsed attempt at occupying a building for what mostly seems their needs? and to get the funding rolling in rahrah.
2 why can't they even try and live up to their stupid spiel and try to be more inclusive themselves.

you can say, "at least it is being used" and "well they are doing SOMETHING" etc but the bottom line is (from what i've gathered and read) that they're quite happy to play with the premises while chucking the odd bone to "mums and kids" and not do much else for the community.
oh unless there's a royalty a visiting and they have to round some urchings up, take down the boards and play to the brief for a few hours... imagine all the riches it'll bring! chingching

cross posted! also, yeah, the beers would likely be shit small and expensive, so not the same at all
e2a and warm!

oh unless there's a royalty a visiting and they have to round some urchings up, take down the boards and play to the brief for a few hours... imagine all the riches it'll bring! chingching
I may have misunderstood, but I thought the cash had already been raked in from some sort of community grant.

Back
Top Bottom