Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

Sorry. It's still unclear what exactly you are objecting to?

The owner of the pub selling it on the open market as a pub?
The new owner proposing to convert disused garages out the back into homes?
Existing residential made self contained?
The new residential storey on the roof?
Retention of existing A3 (the pub)?
Retention of Victorian façade?
My suggestion that the colour orange is a bit...meh?

Or everything and anything in general, just because it all feels a bit out of your control and you want to get it out of your system?
There there.

Thanks.
Hadn't realised that A3 meant 'working class pub that will continue to serve it's previous customers'
and I always find it soothing to be patronised by smug property developers fighting for their brethren.
Oh but hang on a moment, look:
With the "liberalisation" of planning law a couple of years ago, there is a presumption that A3 uses (restaurants and cafes - NOT pubs) can be turned into shops or professional/financial offices without needing planning permission.
A4 is now pubs!?! and A3 is restaurants that can be turned into shops or professional/financial offices.

You were saying?

For what it's worth, not one of the residents I've spoken to even knew the Angel had reopened for the £40 supper club and, I have to say, not one of them was particularly impressed with the idea when I explained it to them ("flaunting it in our faces" was one comment I heard).

I don't understand why a 'community based' organisation like Brick Box didn't at least put posters up in the window beforehand, because I imagine most of the local residents are unlikely to spend much of their time surfing Brixton Villaaage websites.

I don't understand why a 'community based' organisation like Brick Box didn't at least put posters up in the window beforehand, because I imagine most of the local residents are unlikely to spend much of their time surfing Brixton Village websites.
You are quite right - these people are not only "up their own ass" so to speak, but they may even be putting their "business model" at risk with their insularity. The people at the Asian grocers next to the betting shop seemed to be getting victimised by late-night shoppers recently, and had to increase security. I recall the old Prince of Wales by the Ritzy which got the occasional brick through the window - presumably because the Beenie Man types objected to its "battyism" (or maybe the security measures taken to keep them out).
If the locals who hang out on the shopping parade object the most likely thing is the occasional mugging I would have thought. That might not be so good for business, although maybe it might perk up the secondhand iPhone market!
Don't suppose Lexadon care who is operating in the property prior to the building work - so long as they are not REAL squatters!

Well I went to the Tate Library and the applicant on the Angel Public House is definitely JERRY KNIGHT and LEXADON.
So why is this information not on the net? Look more like manipulation than incompetence to me.
Regarding sundry objections to yuppy supper clubs etc. this application is to turn the Angel Pub into flats on the first floor and above, including building a mansard roof extension, tastefully set back. It also includes demolishing the storage buildings to the rear, and building an L shaped back addition, leaving courtyard access to Valentia Place.
Anybody thinking of objecting to supper clubs is probably wasting their time, I should think, apart from being out of time consultation-wise.

Over to you Ed.

Excellant work CH1:)

To make it clear to people comments on planning application are only taken into consideration if they relate to planning regulations and guidelines. Such as a building being in a conservation area, overlooking other properties etc.

Planning is fairly limited in that case. It can be used to protect buildings and look of an area. It does not cover social or economic issues that much.

I think planning is boring to a lot of people because its limited in this way.

Reactions: CH1
Well I went to the Tate Library and the applicant on the Angel Public House is definitely JERRY KNIGHT and LEXADON.
So why is this information not on the net? Look more like manipulation than incompetence to me.
Just to clarify, the online database does name the applicant as Mr Jerry Knight.

Seems the planning application for building to the rear of Angel Pub has been withdrawn. Are Jerry Knight/Lexadon waiting till after the Barratt deluge in the hope of picking up "disappointed buyers" later on? Or some other problem. I think we should be told.

There's still nothing in the blacked-out pub windows from Brick Box announcing to the local community what's going in in the building or inviting locals to get involved.

Just got the official letter now. I reckon it's nothing more than "withdraw one and get one free" as Tescos would say. Maybe a free one's coming on the Paulet Arms - or yet another one on rear of 365 Brixton Road?

Planning applications are often withdrawn and then resubmitted, if the planners ask for changes that can't really be dealt with as an amendment. Or if they deliberately ask for changes to the application just before time's up when there isn't time to make them. It's a way for the planners to buy more time without getting done for not meeting their deadline.

I'd expect another, slightly modified application to appear for the Angel fairly soon.

560300_441380819220391_289262136_n.jpg

*awaits the baying mob*

If Brick Box is run by people who were involved in Shunt, it will be arty, farty and quirky and not to everybodies taste with some hit and miss. I use to pop into Shunt regularly and witnessed some amazing ideas (the mini boating pond in the vaults), some fun stuff (roller skating/free massage -not at same time!) and the ridiculous (people throwing paint over each other). For someone who is rather tired of clubbing and doesn't want to sit and drink, Shunt was a beautiful venue and at a £5 a great evening out!

https://www.facebook.com/events/131735920287555/

I suspect the Brixton they're talking about won't bear much relation to the Brixton that has been lived and breathed by the community who have lived around the pub for years. They certainly didn't take the time to try and get anyone involved.

I was aware of this project from twitter (which I'm sure must have some Brixton users who have been around for more than a few years). I think some people just aren't good at thinking about how you attempt to reach everyone - leaflets/posters/facebook/website/mailing list. Or don't have the resource to do it.

I was aware of this project from twitter (which I'm sure must have some Brixton users who have been around for more than a few years). I think some people just aren't good at thinking about how you attempt to reach everyone - leaflets/posters/facebook/website/mailing list. Or don't have the resource to do it.
How much effort does it take to put a poster in the window? I think it's hugely unlikely that - given their past - Brick Box are particularly lacking in the necessary PR skills, if so inclined.

Truth is, I don't think anyone in the surrounding community has the slightest idea what's going on, unless they perhaps glimpsed the procession of Edwardian gentry strutting down Coldharbour Lane for the whizzo £40 supper jaunt a while back.

All this make me feel sad that the old Cooltan Arts has gone. That was a proper community art project run by locals that didn't need grants and exclusive suppers for the well heeled to do their thing.

Sigh.

How much effort does it take to put a poster in the window? I think it's hugely unlikely that - given their past - Brick Box are particularly lacking in the necessary PR skills, if so inclined.

Open doors are doing the event so not down to Brick Box to promote the engagement of locals into the project.

if I did a mural thing there, I would do 95% or promotion and engagement with the locals. Having just been knee deep in a project which should engage locals, it meets lots of difficulties - so people engaged in some things and not in others, working with other organisations- where does communication responsibilities lie, etc, etc.

Open doors are doing the event so not down to Brick Box to promote the engagement of locals into the project.
It says, "Hosted by Brick Box" on the flier and they are the people who love to go on about how they're all about community.

Plus there's loads of street drinkers around the area (on account of them taking over their old pub) and given their stated desire to hang out with them, I thought they might have been keen to let them know what's occurring.

Reactions: CH1
All this make me feel sad that the old Cooltan Arts has gone. That was a proper community art project run by locals that didn't need grants and exclusive suppers for the well heeled to do their thing.

Sigh.

I do miss the place. However I know some of my Brixton friends(born and bred, ordinary folk) would not have liked cooltan or the crusty dreadlock look or the drug fuelled parties or the run down building. I know as I remember some of them giving me the look of what is with the multi coloured clothes and raggy hair - it's not something they saw as aspirational.

How to serve a diverse community like Brixton is a complex issue. By putting barriers down, you stop some of the diversity happening or allowing people to experience different things. If no-one wants the Brick box events, they will fall on their face.

Sigh.

Never went to cooltan so much as once in the 20 years I've lived in Brixton. I had never heard of it until coming on urban.

I do miss the place. However I know some of my Brixton friends(born and bred, ordinary folk) would not have liked cooltan or the crusty dreadlock look or the drug fuelled parties or the run down building. I know as I remember some of them giving me the look of what is with the multi coloured clothes and raggy hair - it's not something they saw as aspirational.

How to serve a diverse community like Brixton is a complex issue. By putting barriers down, you stop some of the diversity happening or allowing people to experience different things. If no-one wants the Brick box events, they will fall on their face.

I remember the first time I went to the Albert about 15 years ago. My then boyfriend warned that I might not like it as it was full of 'crusties, you know, the dog on a string brigade'.

If no-one wants the Brick box events, they will fall on their face.
I'm sure there's a certain kind of folk who will simply lurve Brick Box events, but I suspect that not that many will be from the actual surrounding community.

Back
Top Bottom