Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon's 'The Boys' - fighting superheroes gone bad with an awesome Karl Urban Cockney accent

2 eps in and we like it more than the comic. As one website said, it 'curbs Garth Ennis' "edgelord" tendencies', so rather than being 'darker and edgier' it actually has the heart that the comics were short on. I think that's helped a lot by great performances from the guys playing Hughie and Annie. It says a lot that we can forgive Urban's dodgy accent (otherwise he is a great actor and has the right charisma for Butcher). Would have been better if they'd just let him stay Kiwi, though, would have worked fine with the character.

I enjoyed it. Liked a lot of the characters. I laughed a few times. I agree Urban should have just spoken with his own accent. It would have worked just as well.

It took enough turns to stay interesting. Dennis Quaid's kid was good.

Weird thing though. The day after I watched the last ep, I couldn't for the life of me recall what had happened (I wasn't chemically impaired) and had to go watch the ending again....

The comic was so fucking awful in the usual Ennis way dialled up to 11 that, like Preacher, unless they deliberately hired a bunch of homophobes and misogynists to do the screenplay it was always going to be an improvement. I have the whole run on comiXology and it's the most embarrassing thing I possess.

The basic story is strong, also in the usual Ennis way, but I wish it could exist without justifying the source material.

We'd been discussing it in the Amazon Prime thread. I've finished, and it's fucking great. The perfect mix of comedy, action, drama and pace for me. As good or better than most Marvel/DC superhero series out there.
I'll grant you that it's better than DC if only because it satires the good old fashioned apple pie values of DC comics by replacing them with fame and avarice. Corporate seduction. The goody two shoes of DC has always bored me to varying degrees.

A whatif Superheroes began now rather than in Superman's original era.

Movies and Instragram and Twitter and monetisation too hard to resist.

Marvel makes great popcorn movies though. They are great at what they are and not to be compared to this in my mind.

I'll grant you that it's better than DC if only because it satires the good old fashioned apple pie values of DC comics by replacing them with fame and avarice. Corporate seduction. The goody two shoes of DC has always bored me to varying degrees.

A whatif Superheroes began now rather than in Superman's original era.

Movies and Instragram and Twitter and monetisation too hard to resist.

Marvel makes great popcorn movies though. They are great at what they are and not to be compared to this in my mind.
Movies yes, though my comparison was against the series. Undoubtedly Marvel's series are well produced and written, but with some of them I find the pace a bit too slow, and the length of a typical season often very long. This was relatively short and sweet and it keeps your attention peaked.

really enjoyed the show. sheriff banshee was my favourite character. karl urban was great, too. he looked like he enjoyed his role. have no issue with the accent.

the last episode was rushed, though. hughie dropping the hidden hand cuff wire from his mouth. very next scene they are taking out a guard. clearly wanting to end the episode as soon as possible.

Movies yes, though my comparison was against the series. Undoubtedly Marvel's series are well produced and written, but with some of them I find the pace a bit too slow, and the length of a typical season often very long. This was relatively short and sweet and it keeps your attention peaked.

I thinks a lot of shows need trimming(not just superhero stuff). We don't need 13 eps unless there is 13 eps of stuff we need.

Why have filler episodes (because they are really obvious). Also, with Netflix and prime etc, why do they have to apply rules....why can't a show be 7 eps....or 9....or 3 with a 30minute finale....

These streaming services set out to break moulds yet seem to be reforming all that old TV thinking.

Network shows used to run for 24 episodes ffs....too much.

Just give us a great story told in the time it requires, don't take a story and make it fit an amount of time.

Vast improvement from the source material so enjoyed it. The comics get very tired because every other page is a gay or rape joke or both.

Complete rewrite aside from the bare bones. Good.

Urbans great, Pegg remains a bit shit in his later years. Starlights grand and Hughie is alright but wish he'd been not a comics fan and still British.

NO SPOILERS please but there have been some very funny moments (I'm up to episode 5). Loving it so far.
Apart from the slightly dodgy British accent by Karl Urban (which is of course a very insignificant issue indeed) I couldn’t really fault it. It has the right dose of humour and well delivered. And plenty of drama & character development to counter it and make it a well rounded series.

Apart from the slightly dodgy British accent by Karl Urban (which is of course a very insignificant issue indeed) I couldn’t really fault it. It has the right dose of humour and well delivered. And plenty of drama & character development to counter it and make it a well rounded series.
The accent is so outrageously ridiculous I've grown to love it :)

watched this series today after picard ep2

Why can we not get a second dredd movie or a series ffs

*shakes fist at the sky

:mad:
Karl Urban was having so much fun in this though his english accent was patchy at times.

Yes to another Dredd it was great!

Reactions: Ax^
This thread introduced me to the idea that Urban's accent is supposed to be London? I just assumed his Aussie twang had been corrupted from years living in New York. I feel very conflicted.

This thread introduced me to the idea that Urban's accent is supposed to be London? I just assumed his Aussie twang had been corrupted from years living in New York. I feel very conflicted.

I think he’s a kiwi?

anyway, love this too. Just found it.

I think he’s a kiwi?

anyway, love this too. Just found it.

You're right, I think I was confused by his liberal use of cunt in this role. The TV re-enactment of Butcher's crimes is a highlight of the second series for me.

Wow. New episode today (7, S2) was fucking superb. By far the best of this season, and as good as the best in S1 for me :)

Last edited:
I spent 51 minutes going ‘this is a good episode, but I’m not sure it’s that good’ and then...
Yeah the ending was great. Also, whereas Butcher does seem to have gone OTT with his use of the word cunt in this season,
when his mother used the expletive in this episode I nearly choked on the beer I was gulping down at that moment :D )

Back
Top Bottom