Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

At the time of posting at least, I just watched my first ever 0% Rotten Tomatoes-rated film :cool: : Killers Anonymous

I’m not going to vouch for its quality let alone recommend it because it’s laughably bad. But there are unquestionably far worse films out there with a RT score in the 20s and 30s % range. In any case it passed the time and was an adequate lowest common denominator fodder if one is prepared to watch that stuff in the first place.

Far more disturbing than the film’s quality is the question of what was Gary Oldman doing appearing in this film, and shortly after his Oscar-winning acclaimed performance In Darkest Hour to boot.

Its not new but its quietly fucking brilliant, documentary film called The Street.
It was excellent, surprised I didn't know about it so thanks. Then watched New Town Utopia, which popped up in the related titles and which I think I've seen before but also excellent and worth a watch again.

New Stath movie up. Might give it a go tonight. Need something mindless and entertaining after a heavy night.

Will report back.

Also binged final series of Hanna last week. Very good.

I noticed Prime now has a Czech comedy by Milos Forman called 'The Firemen's Ball' which is one of my mum's favourites - I've never seen it, but think I will try to give it a watch.

It was excellent, surprised I didn't know about it so thanks. Then watched New Town Utopia, which popped up in the related titles and which I think I've seen before but also excellent and worth a watch again.
Think I'll look at both of these - of personal and professional interest!

I noticed Prime now has a Czech comedy by Milos Forman called 'The Firemen's Ball' which is one of my mum's favourites - I've never seen it, but think I will try to give it a watch.
That’s brilliant news. It’s his first film. Then he went to the states (post Prague spring), made an absolute turkey (Taking Off) and then made Cuckoo’s Nest - one of the greatest films of all time. But it all starts with Fireman’s Ball.

I've just watched a film called A Bucket of Blood on amazon prime. Not well acquainted with Roger Corman kult klassics which it seems this one is, but it was much more enjoyable and well made than I expected. A 1959 satire/drama (?) about Beatniks. I was laughing all the way through but I wasn't sure whether I was laughing at the things Corman would have wanted me to laugh at.

Edit: Just realised this is a colourised version of a black and white film. I wondered why the colours were so rich.

Last edited:
I just watched the latest Guy Ritchie film, Wrath of Man, which I guess Amazon has exclusive release rights for. It’s a crime heist action film starring Jason Statham, and for the first third it feels like your average by-the-numbers action film.

But then it does improve; the the storyline becomes non-linear, and there’s an effort to make the characters a bit more three dimensional. Also, suddenly it’s not all about Statham even if he remains the main protagonist.

Still, regardless of whether you like him or hate him, you would usually expect a degree of flair and character richness from any Guy Ritchie movie. This is a very formulaic and dry effort from him, and ultimately it felt like a poor man’s Heat, but as a free new release film, you could do worse if you’re looking for mindless action drivel. Not terrible by any means imo.

Recommend this too, inoffensive and relaxing but still entertaining, ...enjoyed it.
Another one of those films where no one ever turns on the lights in their house. I'm giving it a try, but finding Kelly's character annoying instead of endearing.

The Wailing - Korean film by director I didn't know.

Starts off with two incompetent cops in a village trying investigate a series of murders. As film goes on it gets darker and darker. Some genuine scary moments. Particularly liked the way the first section of film leads one to think this is going to be comedy horror. But it goes down another path.

Well shot in the Korean countryside and well acted.

Not for the faint hearted.

Saint Maud - British horror film. Came out recently. Nurse gets a job caring for an ex ballet dancer who is now disabled and dying.

Two great performances kept me gripped. Quite a surreal film. Some of it harking back to good old fashioned ghost story films. But still the film felt fresh and new. Not just tired old film cliches.

Its more psychological than violent. The nurse becomes obsessed by God and some of film is seeing things from her point of view. So it's got a surreal edge to it.

Its also a story of two needy people who are facing a crisis. One psychological one because they are nearing death.

Hyena- violent British crime film. Really enjoyed this. Set in London showing the seedy side of London with great soundtrack. Well shot.

Corrupt cop life starts to unravel. Him and his team are supposed to be in the drugs squad. They spend most of their time getting off their faces and doing deals with local organised crime.

Then the Albanians turn up. Who don't play by the unwritten rules. Along with his team being investigated for corruption.

No good guys or redemption in this film. Goes along at hundred miles an hour.

The cop spends next days trying to avert disaster.

Extremely violent and plenty of bad language. Great Brit thriller.

By end of film I almost felt sorry for him.

Last edited:
Well, I've done a search on this thread and I simply cannot believe that there's NO mention of the "coming soon" Amazon Original "Jack FUCKING REACHER" series

So far there's one trailer for it, and whilst I really like Tom Cruise in the films there's no getting away from the fact that I'm 1cm taller than Cruise (170 Vs 171cm) and I'm not a giant amongst men

The chap in the Amazon series definitely seem to fit the bill height wise and the trailer was lookin' good

Well, I've done a search on this thread and I simply cannot believe that there's NO mention of the "coming soon" Amazon Original "Jack FUCKING REACHER" series

So far there's one trailer for it, and whilst I really like Tom Cruise in the films there's no getting away from the fact that I'm 1cm taller than Cruise (170 Vs 171cm) and I'm not a giant amongst men

The chap in the Amazon series definitely seem to fit the bill height wise and the trailer was lookin' good

Was given a few Jack Reacher books recently. Are they a decent series?

Unless it’s a reboot, I’m sure I remember seeing and indeed giving a try to S1 on Amazon a couple of years ago. Seems to have good ratings but we didn’t really get into it within the first couple of episodes, and abandoned it. Wasn’t bad but still felt a bit slow and not gripping enough to let us craving for the next episode.

Unless it’s a reboot, I’m sure I remember seeing and indeed giving a try to S1 on Amazon a couple of years ago. Seems to have good ratings but we didn’t really get into it within the first couple of episodes, and abandoned it. Wasn’t bad but still felt a bit slow and not gripping enough to let us craving for the next episode.

Reacher isn't a reboot and hasn't been released yet. You might be thinking of Jack Ryan, also on Amazon.

Jack Ryan had two series too. I actually liked series one. Series two wasn’t as good

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom