Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

It's basically like watching a film on ITV, it's fine for what it is, plenty of familiar fare 👍

Nice, I just checked and the PS4 supports it now.

Edit: also, on spec it looks nothing like free Spotify- looks like no more than the ads you might get on ITV. There’s a chunk of almost an hour with no ads.

Last edited:
The itv4 of streaming platforms?
Well, I've watched Old Faithfuls on there, but also more left field stuff like Alice Lowe's Prevenge, so there is a breadth of stuff there.

Some of it is stuff that was previously on the main Prime list, or Netflix, but I'd say overall the general quality is better than main Prime (where there are vast seams of batshit loony conspiracy theorist docs and terrible no-name actioners).

On your phone it functions like one of the add-on channels, only without additional payment, on your telly there's a separate app.

Why do I never see batshit conspiracy theorists docs? I just get the big hitters pushed at me, or ones that they think i might like.
It’s almost as if someone is trying to prevent me from watching them….

Why do I never see batshit conspiracy theorists docs? I just get the big hitters pushed at me, or ones that they think i might like.
I have scrolled a long way, but they are there - particularly if you go through war movies until you hit the 'swastika background' tranche of stuff

They’re onto you, man.
Choose your dentist carefully.

Has anyone watched anything on IMDb yet? The ‘with ads’ caveat has put me off so far.
I imagine they’re like every ten minutes or so
I was halfway through watching Dark Matter, which was already available on Amazon ad-free. Then they changed it to IMDb-TV and now I get to watch the same thing, but with ads. :mad:

I find it impossible to even look at Johnny Depp these days never mind watch a whole film with him.
In this film he shows himself to be an utterly terrible actor. At the very least, an actor who couldn't pick a decent script. This film looks like it was written to give a drunk a job with a plausible reason for him to turn up drunk everyday. Even when (I think?) He's not supposed to be drunk, he clearly is.
The end is so flipping lame, it's like a 15 year emos poetry.

In this film he shows himself to be an utterly terrible actor. At the very least, an actor who couldn't pick a decent script. This film looks like it was written to give a drunk a job with a plausible reason for him to turn up drunk everyday. Even when (I think?) He's not supposed to be drunk, he clearly is.
The end is so flipping lame, it's like a 15 year emos poetry.
It's a long time since this eh? :(
dead-man.jpg

I recommend you don't watch. . . .
Hotel Transformainia.

Yes I know it's a kids film, but it doesn't have to be this bad, other kids films prove that.
I'm not a flimmaking expert, so when I can see multiple fundamental plot problems from the ground up that could have easily been addressed, I just can't understand how so many people, making such an expensive film didn't just sort it out. It's infuriating because it's just so lazy.

Watched The Tender Bar last night with our Narnia. It was gushy but quite good and alright for a Sunday night, Mrs really liked it.

I care a lot.

Good, and interesting too. Takes your sympathies on a journey and you wonder who in hell you are actually rooting for. I wasn't 100% on board with the montage end but I am not sure what I would have done instead. There were a couple of moments when I was watching where I thought it would just be fun to end abruptly rather than take the usual route.

But yes, recommended. Something different from the usual trash.

We‘ve been watching “Fernando”, which follows racing driver Fernando Alonso as he competes in the Le Mans 24 hour race, Indy 500, Paris Dakar rally and then in series 2 returns to formula one with the Renault team.

Might not interest anyone who’s not into motorsports, but it’s a good behind the scenes look at the challenges he sets himself. Just don’t watch it with dubbed English soundtrack.

Watched

Joker -
Basically a 30 minute character piece stretched out to the length of a film. Would have been alright maybe if the reason for him appearing on the telly had been more logical or at least a smoother transition. Took me three false starts to actually sit all the way through it.

The Night Before -
Same old Seth Rogen buddy comedy bollocks by numbers. Just about watchable, but I'm bored of this shite now.

Jexi -
So bad I couldn't finish it. How did they get so many of the bigger names to cameo?

Timer -
Even worse. Didn't get as far as I did with Jexi. Another sci-fi romance thing with flawed internal logic and vapid characters.

The Protege -
I like Maggie Q, but after a fairly decent, but rather run of the mill action flick set up, it just became a bore. Couldn't finish it.

Coma -
Fucking stupid premise that could have been good with some tweaks. Unwatchable trash. Didn't finish it.

Life of Pi
Enjoyable

Back
Top Bottom