Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

. If you refer to all types of animation and animated feature films as a "cartoon" then it usually means you look down on the medium and/or you don't know much about it.
This may be so, but it doesn’t render the use of the word inaccurate. The definition of “cartoon” reasonably encompasses all form of animated film.

This may be so, but it doesn’t render the use of the word inaccurate. The definition of “cartoon” reasonably encompasses all form of animated film.
i think in this case the word was used dismissively and pejoratively though, hence the objections

If someone uses the term for stop-motion animation, then they really don't know what they are talking about.

Boss Level. Sci-fi action film. Whilst the script might feel like a shameless Groundhog Day meets John Wick rip-off, it is still entertaining and well enough produced. Worth it if you like the aforementioned basic premise.
Watching it now :cool:

Like I said, the context was clear. I’d already several times noted that it referred to drawn animation. At some point in the discussion, it’s OK to start using a shorthand.
there’s not many drawn animations about these days

Boss Level. Sci-fi action film. Whilst the script might feel like a shameless Groundhog Day meets John Wick rip-off, it is still entertaining and well enough produced. Worth it if you like the aforementioned basic premise.
I watched it. It’s definitely a bit of fun, with some genuinely humorous parts too. Also, it doesn’t overreach itself and isn’t bloated, which are too rare as qualities in films these days. It’s no classic but it’s definitely not bad if you like a shoot ‘em up.

For those who are so genre-obsessed that they will even watch the kind of cheesy, teenagey superhero mush that The Boys satirises — ie people like me — S2 of Stargirl has started. It’s okay. I’d only recommend it in secret to fellow nerds.
We did a few episodes of series 1 but just lost interest. I think we said a while back that we should watch some more, but never did. That's the Luke Wilson thing right?

We did a few episodes of series 1 but just lost interest. I think we said a while back that we should watch some more, but never did. That's the Luke Wilson thing right?
Yeah. I’m not surprised you lost interest — when S2 appeared on my list, I realised I had totally forgotten that S1 ever existed. It’s like those cupcakes that look pretty and taste of nothing. But if you like the whole superhero fighting and saying pithy ironic things genre, it is good background viewing.

Yeah. I’m not surprised you lost interest — when S2 appeared on my list, I realised I had totally forgotten that S1 ever existed. It’s like those cupcakes that look pretty and taste of nothing. But if you like the whole superhero fighting and saying pithy ironic things genre, it is good background viewing.
I think I lost interest after the origin. It looked like it was about to head into a weekly high school growing pains drama. Fight of the week. Buffy. Snooze.

I think I lost interest after the origin. It looked like it was about to head into a weekly high school growing pains drama. Fight of the week. Buffy. Snooze.
Massively sub-Buffy. None of the soul and lacking in either interesting heroes or interesting villains. But I know you watch things whilst you’re doing other stuff. Maybe this is one for that list.

Massively sub-Buffy. None of the soul and lacking in either interesting heroes or interesting villains. But I know you watch things whilst you’re doing other stuff. Maybe this is one for that list.
Maybe. Probably not. I think I may have tried it once already and it just didn't register. I am currently watching atypical while washing up or cooking. Seems to work, but I wouldn't sit down to watch it.
I stretch before a run to big mouth.
My family have taken over the TV at dinner and we only seems to watch Japanese stuff now, or parks and rec, both of which I am bored shitless of.

Has anybody tried Cruel Summer? From the trailer, I can’t decide if it looks American Brat irritating or Twisty Turny interesting.

It's somewhere in between. Not brilliant, but it kept my interest over a few evenings. You'll know after the first episode whether you've got the stamina for the whole series.

Watched this last night, enjoyable nonsense if a little saccharine at the end.

Well, that's just wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Japanese content, but it's always kimetsu no yaiba, ruroni kenshin and boku no hero akidemia. . . mind you I don't think I have seen a good Japanese TV show or flim for years now.
I am frightened to watch the evangellion rebuild, we watched the original TV and film again on netflix recently and I just wasn't interested at all. . . whereas back in the 90s I was obsessed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Japanese content, but it's always kimetsu no yaiba, ruroni kenshin and boku no hero akidemia. . . mind you I don't think I have seen a good Japanese TV show or flim for years now.
I am frightened to watch the evangellion rebuild, we watched the original TV and film again on netflix recently and I just wasn't interested at all. . . whereas back in the 90s I was obsessed.

Was more about Parks and Rec.

Tbf, regards Evangelion, finding the original series a struggle.

I'm fairly into my anime, but I've never enjoyed Evangelion. Maybe I just don't like my Kaiju to take itself so seriously.
Not on Amazon, but I'm going through Darwin's Game on Netflix and enjoying it. (and forcing the young'un to watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199 in hopes of indoctrination)

Was more about Parks and Rec.

Tbf, regards Evangelion, finding the original series a struggle.
I'm fairly into my anime, but I've never enjoyed Evangelion. Maybe I just don't like my Kaiju to take itself so seriously.
Not on Amazon, but I'm going through Darwin's Game on Netflix and enjoying it. (and forcing the young'un to watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199 in hopes of indoctrination)
It was quite revolutionary at the time. I was really hooked. I don't think my brain is in the right place for it anymore, and I am not mad keen on anime like I used to be when I was younger.
I do still quite like the 70s and 80s junk. This modern stuff is mostly not for me . . . . but not nearly as bad as most of the 90s style output.

Amazon have emailed me a £10 reward for use with Prime Video.

I assume this means I can buy / rent stuff in the store?

They are always so hungry to to hook me in that they always give me a freebee before I ever consider paying. . . . I'm not sure I ever have.

Although not my usual cup of tea I really enjoyed this.

Back
Top Bottom