Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Salmond accused (and then cleared) of sexual misconduct.

I''m a dimwit who can't read body language.
Mixed messages, grey areas.
I genuinely didn't know.
Everyone was drunk.
I wasn't there at the time.
She's lying, it didn't happen that way.
That's just not the kind of thing I would do.
x2

It's going to be vile :(
He described the original claims and complaints as "patently ridiculous', which I commented at the time was out of order, but if there's evidence to justify these charges (and I'm assuming there is) it becomes utterly crazy

He described the original claims and complaints as "patently ridiculous', which I commented at the time was out of order, but if there's evidence to justify these charges (and I'm assuming there is) it becomes utterly crazy
It’s not at all out of order if it’s true. The recent change in tone suggests otherwise though.

It’s wording that he’s been using since this became public, along with telling the BBC that he was "no saint" and has "got flaws".

If his defence is that this was a misunderstanding, he will have to explain how there came to be 14 misunderstandings over whatever timescale it emerges these alleged events took place.
It's the Comrade Delta defence all over again! On a rather larger scale

Yeah, I thought when I read it yesterday that it seems like a very deliberate and specific choice of words.
From memory, something like the formulation Harvey Weinstein has used (not attempting guilt by association, just noting the similarity).

Indeed. The whole situation and prospects are all very unsettling, and that’s as someone who isn’t a Salmond supporter. In a way, I can actually understand why some people might want to go into denial, and blame dark forces out to discredit The Movement. I mean, I don’t for a moment condone that, but it isn’t an inexplicable reaction from someone who might have been intensely loyal to the man. We know enough to have seen what has happened in analogous circumstances.
And without speculating about guilt or otherwise, it's going to be rough for his accusers (as in twitter attacks and the rest).

It’s not at all out of order if it’s true. The recent change in tone suggests otherwise though.
Because of the seriousness of this case and its potential knock on effect, I'm not going to pursue this any further, except to repeat my comment from earlier in the thread.
Details published of Alex Salmond sexual harassment claim

Strenuous denial is one thing but to describe the claims as 'patently ridiculous' is out of order, IMO. It should be clear to everyone by now that claims of sexual misconduct against men in positions of power are anything but ridiculous and need to be fully and scrupulously investigated

Because of the seriousness of this case and its potential knock on effect, I'm not going to pursue this any further, except to repeat my comment from earlier in the thread.
Well as I said, if it was incorrect, “patently ridiculous” is more than perfectly acceptable.

Indeed. The whole situation and prospects are all very unsettling, and that’s as someone who isn’t a Salmond supporter. In a way, I can actually understand why some people might want to go into denial, and blame dark forces out to discredit The Movement. I mean, I don’t for a moment condone that, but it isn’t an inexplicable reaction from someone who might have been intensely loyal to the man. We know enough to have seen what has happened in analogous circumstances.

Like this you mean:

cqedQ9T.jpg

It is utterly risible. HTF can any sane person compare the Catalan situation with yesterday's man being accused of various offences?

i have a tinge of sympathy for Nicola Sturgeon, she's going to get roasted alive - Salmonds' wrong-doings or otherwise are his own affair, but she's going to cop hell.

i dipped my toe into twitter, and i came across a good (imv) example of the stuff she's going to face - some tweeter(?) noted that when the egregious Brett Kavanaugh and his accusers were being questioned in the run-up to his appointment to the US Supreme Court Sturgeon was very vocal on Twitter and elsewhere that his accusers (and others who allege that a rape/sexual assualt has been taken place), should be believed from the off.

obviously theres a difference in that in the Kavanaugh things she's just showboating because she's a politician a very long way from political power in the US, and in this she's the head of Government of the country doing the investigation and prosecution, and therefore can't get involved, but she's going to face a very long period of some very, very difficult questions about what she knew, when, and what she did about it.

i like NS - she used to stalk me when i lived in Hillhead, but thats another story - i think she's very bright, very hard working and exactly the kind of person you want nearby when shit explodes over your life, but i think she's going to be in a world of shit, and i'm afraid she's going to be seriously damaged by it, whether she deserves it or not...

(Salmond i can't stand...).

Maybe the thread title could be changed to reflect current reality - lest it look like it's not being taken seriously and instead as variant of Galloway's sexual etiquette bullshit? It's sexual assaults and attempted rapes not sexual misconduct.

Last edited:
On the being believed from the off thing (which i think should be better read as allegations being taken seriously from the off) craig murray claimed that Salmond is 'innocent until proven innocent' - that'll be the wings type nationalist position.

Last edited:
I’ve no idea what Wings is saying, because I don’t look. But I bet there’s a fair few of his followers in that category.

The Salmond crowdfunding appeal for the judicial review of the ScotGov handling of the complaints raised £100,007 from 4146 supporters in just three days. Which is a lot of people.

The Salmond crowdfunding appeal for the judicial review of the ScotGov handling of the complaints raised £100,007 from 4146 supporters in just three days. Which is a lot of people.
the maths on that suggest there were some pretty big donations in there.

Do they? If 4000 people gave £25, that hits the target.

I don’t doubt there were sizeable donations in there. Just not sure how you can tell.
It does show though, that, given all scottish people are working class, just how much better at caring and supporting their king kin that they are than others.

Back
Top Bottom