Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Salmond accused (and then cleared) of sexual misconduct.

ive nae time for Blackford - that fucking suit and wescoat of his makes most fair minded people squirm. And have you seen his hair?;);)

I hate it when people post twitter threads, but here’s a twitter thread:

Survations polling for the Courier has been overlooked in the Alba furore. It used a deliberately large sample size of more than 2,000 Scottish residents surveyed between March 11 and March 18. It predicted 1/

The SNP to gain an overall majority at Holyrood with the party expected to win 67 seats. It predicts Labour to win 24 seats, and the Tories 22. The Scottish Greens would win 11 seats and the Lib Dems are predicted to repeat 2016 with just five seats 2/

This would represent a disaster for the Conservatives dropping from 31 to just 22 seats and be a major blow for the Union 3/

It would also mean the biggest gains would be for the Scottish Green Party and mean BOTH an SNP majority and a pro-indy majority (with the Greens). It's in this context that the Alba Party launches, essentially to 'solve' a problem that doesn't exist ... 4/

added to this there are no policies or strategies being put forward by the new party other than the mystical thinking that their presence would change Boris Johnson's mind #magicalthinking

The bbc and the other right wing shit rags are all making similar points - suddenly discovering their moral integrity, suddenly questioning whether another Indy party might split the SNP support base and weaken the cause (as if they care two craps), suddenly poor Nicola's authority is being undermined blah blah blah. What they fear is Alba's potential to produce an electoral result that might lead to an uncontrollable surge towards Independence and an economic shift that could cause their paymasters to have to stump up some tax to finance a comprehensive welfare state in a post covid slump.

This observation from today's bbc news site, which remarks on Alba's formation. its typical of the general perspective; Alba is a development that is jeopardizing Nicola's SNP and the future of independence. i even heard a rank rotten tory (could have been an editor of Spectator) on last nights 'questiontime' spouting the same line:

"The likes of the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats will no doubt have watched Mr Salmond's announcement with popcorn in hand, hoping it will put a dent in the SNP's electoral juggernaut".

if people don't mind me saying so, there are plenty contributions on here which sound similar to the above. There are entirely legitimate criticisms to be levelled at Salmond, but its important to separate those from what might be quite an encouraging development which could shake up Nicola's holyrood fan club.

People outside of Scotland will need to know that Banff isn’t near the Lothians.
I'm not from Scotland, but even I know that Alberta must be pretty far from the Lothians.
And a comparison of favourability ratings:
In passing, I'm fascinated by how much more popular/less unpopular Starmer is than the Labour Party. That seems weird to me, what have Scottish Labour managed to do to make the rest of the party more offputting than Starmer?

In passing, I'm fascinated by how much more popular/less unpopular Starmer is than the Labour Party. That seems weird to me, what have Scottish Labour managed to do to make the rest of the party more offputting than Starmer?
there's a similar gap between the party and the leader in the rest of the UK iirc

I'm not from Scotland, but even I know that Alberta must be pretty far from the Lothians.

Maybe he’s just not been in the limelight long enough to really piss people off.

while it's not a view that I share (or I suspect that many on here share) i am aware of people (in england at least) out there (the not very political floating voter types who focus groups tend to take very seriously) who see starmer as respectable / sensible / prime ministerial (i.e. posh-ish bloke in smart suit who doesn't have any dangerous radical opinions like that nasty mr corbyn did) - they will still almost certainly still vote tory or limp dem at the next election though...

anVQAX9.png

"The likes of the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats will no doubt have watched Mr Salmond's announcement with popcorn in hand, hoping it will put a dent in the SNP's electoral juggernaut".
They are saying it because it is true. The sleepy cuddles party is not going to take votes from Lab, Con or the LDs. It does have some potential to damage the SNP (and possibly the Greens).

I mean look at both of the Westminster constituencies of the two MPs that have defected. I'm skeptical Salmond and scum will take much of the vote, but even a small drop in the vote may lost the seat to Labour (or the Tories)

Though looks as if Salmond's hoovering the shit out of the SNP which might be a good thing. Has the terf Cherry signed up yet?

Though looks as if Salmond's hoovering the shit out of the SNP which might be a good thing. Has the terf Cherry signed up yet?

On another forum I visit it's agreed Cherry probably won't defect. She is no friend of the current SNP regime, that's for sure. But if she is seen to stand alongside Salmond, that would torpedo her 'feminist' (broadly defined) credentials.

Is this going to get ukip-y with various splitter parties ?
Don’t know. I mean, my feeling is still that this is the Change UK Mark II, that it won’t poll enough in all regions to hit the threshold, that Salmond himself may get through if he’s top of Alba’s NE list, but that the quality of people being attracted as candidates will overall be off putting.

That said, I’m not in the market for a sexpest party who welcome “accidental” antisemites. So who really knows.

Well, if you look at the Alba Party website, it tells you.

Depends on which Alba Party domain you look at. ;)

Alba party officials have been left red-faced after the Scottish version of its domain name was hijacked within hours of Alex Salmond firing the starting gun on its Holyrood election bid.

While the official Albaparty.org adress has been promoted as the party's website, the version using a '.Scot' domain has been commandeered on behalf of another party.

Searching for Albaparty.scot will take internet users directly to the website of the SNP - SNP.org.

:D

He’ll be needing a big hoover. And therein lies the reality of the psychodrama: there is no serious alternative from Alba to the SNP strategy to deliver independence save for a some calls for performative action (which are deliberately magnified to justify the vicious nature of the split) or any serious policy differences between the two camps about the political economy of an independent Scotland. Instead we have a popularity contest between two personality cults. Odd that so many are being swept along with it all

He’ll be needing a big hoover. And therein lies the reality of the psychodrama: there is no serious alternative from Alba to the SNP strategy to deliver independence save for a some calls for performative action (which are deliberately magnified to justify the vicious nature of the split) or any serious policy differences between the two camps about the political economy of an independent Scotland. Instead we have a popularity contest between two personality cults. Odd that so many are being swept along with it all
I'm not sure there will be so many tbh but let's see.

Salmond reminds me of George Galloway. Someone who fails to realise they should be embarrassed by their behaviour and just fuck off out of public life.
100%, plus a few more per cents chucked in. Though I suppose the behaviour they exhibit guarantees they are not the kind of person who will ever be embarrassed or can conceive of politics as anything other than personal power and advantage. 'Alpha Males', yuck.

Back
Top Bottom