Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adopt a Small Country or a Country with very few athletes

Come off it, it's not as if you've any other claims on your time and energy at all. ;)

I've been tidying house. Guests that were meant to turn up at 10.00pm on Tuesday night have now changed their tickets and land at midday Monday :mad:

S'NOT FAIR!

Well they both have Monday off, so he figured he'd give her an extra day for shopping :D

I have a feeling we won't be seeing much of them at all other than to come home to crash out. They go back on Friday and we've got two hospital appointments then. On another day they're here, we should really be going to a funeral, but not sure if we'll go or not.

Said in the paper this morning that's there's a small number (10?) of athletes who are competing individually, stateless. How does that work?

Anyway, I'll adopt China please.

Said in the paper this morning that's there's a small number (10?) of athletes who are competing individually, stateless. How does that work?

Anyway, I'll adopt China please.

Netherlands Antilles and South Sudan. The guy from Sudan lives in America and isn't eligible to join the US team and South Sudan has no Olympics Committee.

(or something like that)

Here you go

Netherlands Antilles

The Netherlands Antilles Olympic Committee, which had planned to continue functioning after the dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles, had its membership withdrawn by the IOC Executive Committee at the IOC session of June 2011. However, Dutch Antillean athletes who qualify for the 2012 Olympics are allowed to participate independently under the Olympic flag.[2]

South Sudan

South Sudan gained its independence from Sudan in June 2011. As of the 2012 Summer Olympics, it had not formed a National Olympic Committee, meaning that athletes from the nation were unable to enter with a NOC. One athlete, Guor Marial, qualified for the men's marathon and has been accepted as an independent Olympian.[3][4]

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/countries/palestine/athletes]Palestine[/url]
[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/countries/iraq/athletes]Iraq[/url]
[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/countries/afghanistan/athletes]Afganistan[/url]

All have 6 or 8 athletes, I remember the cheer the Iraqi athletes got at the Beijing opening ceremony (& the camera panning round to catch the blank expression on Bush's face).

Too many for me to keep track of though:oops: , I'm going to look for a country with 2 or 3 athletes at most :).

Bhutan and Brunei?

I was friends with Dani Beaubrun's mum - we had babies at the same time and we were in a mums group together. The kids learned to swim together - Dani being somewhat better than my son clearly...........:D

ETA - this is in answer to Minnie's 'how come'!

Thanks Minnie, really wanted to know what was what with that, but had forgotten all about it 5 minutes later.

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/countries/palestine/athletes]Palestine[/url]
[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/countries/iraq/athletes]Iraq[/url]
[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/countries/afghanistan/athletes]Afganistan[/url]

All have 6 or 8 athletes, I remember the cheer the Iraqi athletes got at the Beijing opening ceremony (& the camera panning round to catch the blank expression on Bush's face).

Too many for me to keep track of though:oops: , I'm going to look for a country with 2 or 3 athletes at most :).

Tuvalu
Tonga
Togo
Timor Leste
Solomon Islands
Sao Tome and Principe
St Vincent and Grenadines
Nauru
Lao
Kiribati

I was friends with Dani Beaubrun's mum - we had babies at the same time and we were in a mums group together. The kids learned to swim together - Dani being somewhat better than my son clearly...........:D

ETA - this is in answer to Minnie's 'how come'!

Did you live in St Lucia then? :cool:

Gabon me up Minnie. Since we read about the country in the Fortean Times we have seen references to Gabon all over so Gabon for the Goths!!

There was a bit on the local news about athletes from Vanuatu who were staying somewhere round these parts in the run up to the Olympics. The reporter said that Vanuatu is the happiest place in the world.
So I'll have those three happy athletes, please - a runner, a judoist and a table tennisonian.

You did and I suggested to you you start a new thread so it doesn't get buried, but having just looked at thread, post is not there :confused: Internet connection was playing up last night so maybe I thought it posted and it didn't :facepalm:

So as you didn't start one, I did.

I shall credit you :facepalm:
:oops: Thanks Minnie! Good work btw.

There's a page on the bbc site with all the countries and their flags, which is pretty cool

I'm adopting St Lucia seeing as its adopted me (and apparently still thinks I work there and should be paying tax:D)

4 athletes, one of which I've known since she was a baby:cool:

I bagsied SL already, but we can share it :) (I have been there a few times so do have some feeling for the place!)

2 bottles of Piton please!

I bagsied SL already, but we can share it :) (I have been there a few times so do have some feeling for the place!)

2 bottles of Piton please!

This is very true, but as she did live there for 20 years...

Hm, looks like you'll have to share then :D

Who's going to nab all the other countries

Right, countries adopted so far

Minnie the Minx – Netherland Antilles and South Sudan
Twentythreedom – St Lucia and Sao Tome and Principe
Mattie – Equatorial Guinea
Me76 – British Virgin Islands
TwistedAM – Northern Ireland
Weltwelt – Mongolia, Liechtenstein and a country called Michael Phelps
Greebo – Andorra
Felixthecat – St Lucia
Ms Ordinary – Sao Tome and Principe
lagtbt – Malta
QueenofGoths – Gabonned up
Espresso – Vanuatu
PaulHackett - Colombia
BlueSquareThing - Iceland
Ich Bin Ein Mod - Paraguay
boohoo - Mauritius
ericjarvis - Zambia

I'll take the mid size but perennially unsuccessful Colombia..

And not just because Carlos Valderrama carried the torch

Yes - it is him

Back
Top Bottom