Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Thread to Celebrate Mustard

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
I thought this could definitely do with it's own thread. Mustard is great isn't it? What's your favourite types? How many do you keep in stock? Does anyone make their own? Make their own fermented mustard even?

I've currently got English, whole grain Dijon, Polish and some American stuff that doesn't really count, but I use it stick rubs to meat when I'm smoking it.

I went to this place a few years when visiting Dijon for mustard tasting and bought loads home with me.

1685383665559.png

Last edited:
For me I love the Colman's English mustard - it's the dog's bollocks. Proper hot. Always have some to hand!

However I do usually keep some French's yellow mustard in (the mild American stuff :oops: ) for burgers and hot dogs, I know this will be controversial, but it has its uses.

Polish mustard is fucking ace, as is German mustard and the various French ones, however I don't always have those to hand.

I've made my own wholegrain "make it up as you go along" type mustard, and a more true to recipe wholegrain dijon.

Do use black or yellow seeds (or a mixture of both)?

I love cooking with the stuff as well. A good dollop went in the pit beans I made for the BBQ on Saturday and I put a small amount in the milk when I make mash potatoes.

I've mostly used yellow seeds. Dijon particularly calls for white mustard seeds which is why there was a shortage last year, because the white mustard crop failed - they can be more difficult to get hold of. You can make a facsimile of it with a mix of yellow and brown mustard seed though, looks slightly darker but that mix replicates the level of hotness quite well if you can't get the white seed.

English and Dijon in the house at the moment.

Used to love Thomy Senth (sp) which I think is common German stuff, quite weak and comes in toothpaste tubes.

I was given one of these a while back which water down into a paste, although I've not tried much with it yet.

I pretty much always have a jar of English in the fridge, usually polish too.

Are we counting horseradish sauce? :hmm:

Got any recipes/methods Epona ? I've tried a couple but it never quite made the grade.

I cant eat meat without a dollop of mustard. I think we must have half a dozen jars on the go on account of the Mrs also loving the stuff. A cheese and mustard sandwich is in the top pocket of my wading jacket most times I go fishing.

I was given one of these a while back which water down into a paste, although I've not tried much with it yet.

I pretty much always have a jar of English in the fridge, usually polish too.

Are we counting horseradish sauce? :hmm:
Ordered. :cool:

Different condiment to the mustard purists but also one of my favs.

Got any recipes/methods Epona ? I've tried a couple but it never quite made the grade.

I cant eat meat without a dollop of mustard. I think we must have half a dozen jars on the go on account of the Mrs also loving the stuff. A cheese and mustard sandwich is in the top pocket of my wading jacket most times I go fishing.

I think this is the one I used for Dijon (with a mix of yellow and brown seeds)

Other times I've pretty much just soaked a couple of tablespoons of whatever seeds I've had to hand in a bit of whatever vinegar I've had to hand - and adjusted the flavour with some sugar or honey once the seeds were soft it if was too acidic. (Or just water and no sweet element for a more English mustard type deal - although I do normally have a jar of Colmans knocking about so haven't done that often, no need).

I think this is the one I used for Dijon (with a mix of yellow and brown seeds)

Other times I've pretty much just soaked a couple of tablespoons of whatever seeds I've had to hand in a bit of whatever vinegar I've had to hand - and adjusted the flavour with some sugar or honey once the seeds were soft it if was too acidic. (Or just water and no sweet element for a more English mustard type deal - although I do normally have a jar of Colmans knocking about so haven't done that often, no need).
Nice one :thumbs: I'll have a crack at that.

Mrs Spy gets through an astonishing amount of Colmans English, so there's always a couple of jars in the cupboard. It's my favourite too but I'm also partial to Lowensenf medium, so there's always a jar of that around too. We've got some Dijon, but I'm not a fan of sour flavours so that gets used as a cooking ingredient rather than a condiment.

I have a few of those. 😊

They are cheap as chips, especially if you buy own-brand ones, and I always bring one back with me when I go to Germany.

I'm definitely inspired to make some now. I'll have to find time to visit my local Indian supermarket for fresh seeds. The tiny spice blender should come in to it's own so I can make small batches.

My Dad used to tell me one of his jobs as child was to make mustard from powder for the Sunday roast? Is this still a thing? Does anyone do that?

I'm definitely inspired to make some now. I'll have to find time to visit my local Indian supermarket for fresh seeds. The tiny spice blender should come in to it's own so I can make small batches.

My Dad used to tell me one of his jobs as child was to make mustard from powder for the Sunday roast? Is this still a thing? Does anyone do that?

I don't, but yeah you can still buy tins of Colman's mustard powder and mix it up yourself (or add it to dishes eg. white/cheese sauce type things)

I keep some English powder. Made fresh, it's that much stronger than jarred I find. I also got jarred English and some Polish for when I'm lazy and want a quick fix

Back
Top Bottom