Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A question for new veggies/vegans and meat-reducers

I used cron-o-meter over the last year or so as an aid to shifting my belly and it was this that highlighted my consistant lack of B12. I keep meaning to have a go on the marmite. It sits at the back of the cupboard hiding behind just about everything else. Maybe breakfast tomorrow
We stick it in casseroles and pasta sauces. Just a dab, a nice umami hit.

Protein when you don't like mushrooms. A lot of my cooking is meat and two veg style and mushrooms are the most common substitute for the meat bit, bean/lentil otherwise I suppose which is ok but not much variety, so more/wider ideas for this kind of thing would be of interest (though that might just be lots more bean/lentil recipes I suppose, idk hence interest).

I don't think mushrooms have a lot in the way of protein - they sometimes get used as meat substitute because of texture, not protein content. You get your protein from beans/lentils (inc tofu and tempeh) and seeds and nuts primarily, with more coming from grains and vegetables in lower amounts. Really you can't be a vegan and carry on with meat and two veg style cooking, it's a completely different way of cooking.

I don't think mushrooms have a lot in the way of protein - they sometimes get used as meat substitute because of texture, not protein content. You get your protein from beans/lentils (inc tofu and tempeh) and seeds and nuts primarily, with more coming from grains and vegetables in lower amounts. Really you can't be a vegan and carry on with meat and two veg style cooking, it's a completely different way of cooking.

cheers, I have issues due to lack of smell and fucked up taste that mean texture is really important to me and I don't much like "wet" food so a lot of stuff in sauces, stews etc is not really things I am keen on and when I try to not eat meat I often end up with a plate of vegetables that doesn't really satisfy me, I think because it's missing protein, and dropping in some beans or lentils has just never really done it for me and I often see mushrooms in restaurants as the substitute. All the vegan/veggie recipes I can cook take ages and don't work for a post-work evening meal.

cheers, I have issues due to lack of smell and fucked up taste that mean texture is really important to me and I don't much like "wet" food so a lot of stuff in sauces, stews etc is not really things I am keen on and when I try to not eat meat I often end up with a plate of vegetables that doesn't really satisfy me, I think because it's missing protein, and dropping in some beans or lentils has just never really done it for me and I often see mushrooms in restaurants as the substitute. All the vegan/veggie recipes I can cook take ages and don't work for a post-work evening meal.
If you don't like 'wet' food (not unusual to me, my dad won't eat anything wet!) being a vegan is harder but there are some options. Eg dry curries, pasta with a pesto made from herbs / nuts whizzed up in blender, rice/cashews (or tofu) and veg stir fried in soy sauce (but only a dash for flavouring rather than an actual sauce). Or home made veggie burgers made out of beans / veg with potatoes and veg.

If you don't like 'wet' food (not unusual to me, my dad won't eat anything wet!) being a vegan is harder but there are some options. Eg dry curries, pasta with a pesto made from herbs / nuts whizzed up in blender, rice/cashews (or tofu) and veg stir fried in soy sauce (but only a dash for flavouring rather than an actual sauce). Or home made veggie burgers made out of beans / veg with potatoes and veg.

Cheers - somehow I had completely forgotten about stir frys, I think because a friend moved out with his wok and I've never replaced it, I used to make quite a few of these.

Some good inspiration here. I can see a 'go nuts' type session coming together - with milk tasting, cheese making, recipes etc. Any other nut related type stuff?
That and some nutrition advice and quick and simple recipes. Keep them coming :)

I am quite blown away with what you can do with a food processor and nuts / seeds - sauces, pesto, dips. I've only recently really got into nuts, I'm allergic to peanuts so have always given them all a wide berth but unecessarily.

Also the miracle powers of chia and flax seeds as egg substitutes for binding.

I have the honour of suffering enough acid reflux to qualify for a double dose of omeprazole daily. I would like to know competent reference sources that can give me a clue (and ammunition to argue with the doctor) as to how the meds and the condition affect vitamin and mineral absorption. I suspect that I am often anaemic but don't know if that is directly related to diet. Or to diet choices/restrictions.

I have eaten no flesh since June last year. I follow a set route up and down hill most days a week; when I struggle with this I know something is wrong.

Last edited:
BigTom on the no wet food thing. I make mexican style seitan wraps quite often. Its just frying off the seitan in spices (cumin and smoked paprika). I usually add mushrooms and peppers but you can sub them for any other veggies you prefer. Then I chop up fresh tomatoes, chilli, coriander, garlic, ginger, spring onion and add a squeeze of lime and black beans give it a stir and add that mixture and the seitan mixture to a toasted wrap, possibly with cheese.

Again you can sub in other ingredients if there's stuff you don't like. It takes about 20 minutes tops including the prep. Oh I normally have either chipotle or habanero sauce at home so I add a bit of that to the seitan mixture while cooking and again to wrap once it's all in there.

I am quite blown away with what you can do with a food processor and nuts / seeds - sauces, pesto, dips. I've only recently really got into nuts, I'm allergic to peanuts so have always given them all a wide berth but unecessarily.

+1 for a food processor. Especially for vegan diets.

Also, with a balanced diet of any sort getting enough protein is not a problem. A new veggie / vegan need not fear getting enough protein.

BigTom on the no wet food thing. I make mexican style seitan wraps quite often. Its just frying off the seitan in spices (cumin and smoked paprika). I usually add mushrooms and peppers but you can sub them for any other veggies you prefer. Then I chop up fresh tomatoes, chilli, coriander, garlic, ginger, spring onion and add a squeeze of lime and black beans give it a stir and add that mixture and the seitan mixture to a toasted wrap, possibly with cheese.

Again you can sub in other ingredients if there's stuff you don't like. It takes about 20 minutes tops including the prep. Oh I normally have either chipotle or habanero sauce at home so I add a bit of that to the seitan mixture while cooking and again to wrap once it's all in there.

I can't eat anything spicy (not even ginger or uncooked black pepper, sometimes coriander is even too much) so whilst I can drop those things out of mexican/thai/indian food they tend to rely on them for flavour and not end up being great without them. I also can't get black beans anywhere which is annoying because kidney beans just don't substitute very well imo. It basically just ends up being a veg/salad sandwich really, which is ok but not interesting. I've never tried seitan tho.

I got one for Xmas. It's amazing. If you've not made Anna Jones Raw Chocolate Brownies you really should. :)

Back
Top Bottom