Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

300 hospitalised in Indian district, health minister says ‘mystery illness’

While we're (or just me!) musing on the mystery illness stuff, anyone come across Morgellons disease before? Fascinating stuff!

While we're (or just me!) musing on the mystery illness stuff, anyone come across Morgellons disease before? Fascinating stuff!

I get where you're coming from, and that you're considering all sorts of plausible possibilities, but maybe this would be better for a thread on psychosomatic illness?

Morgellons is fascinating (not being sarcastic - I do think so), but there's a danger of this thread veering down that route when, at this stage, none of us really knows a thing.

(I say this knowing I'm also guilty of potential over-speculation.)

I get where you're coming from, and that you're considering all sorts of plausible possibilities, but maybe this would be better for a thread on psychosomatic illness?

Morgellons is fascinating (not being sarcastic - I do think so), but there's a danger of this thread veering down that route when, at this stage, none of us really knows a thing.

(I say this knowing I'm also guilty of potential over-speculation.)

Fair enough, totally don't want to de-rail. Happy to halt my wild speculations pending more info.

2020, the year that keeps on giving...

(I'm glad someone mentioned Bhopal already. Also reminded of the several volcanic gas outpourings causing mass casualties, and of course Flint still doesn't have drinking water that won't burn...)

I've been thinking about the Flint Mi water crisis a lot recently alongside the recent weird grim Michigan election bullshit.

That looks like such a weird fuckig sentence.

What does it say, what does it mean? Or is it just crap syntax, not actual weirdness...

Unrelated

But I had no idea. So mentioning it.

Also this
Every day is a school day, and it's sometimes shocking

A friend of mine did the antifreeze suicide in Alaska. She was Inuit, she was a musician poet storyteller, she was a lesbian with three extraordinary children, she was a powerful strong beautiful sad woman.

A friend of mine did the antifreeze suicide in Alaska. She was Inuit, she was a musician poet storyteller, she was a lesbian with three extraordinary children, she was a powerful strong beautiful sad woman.
Sorry for the loss of your friend x

Unrelated

But I had no idea. So mentioning it.

Also this
Every day is a school day, and it's sometimes shocking

don't misjudge it this has happened in india more than once

and it is quite recent to religious holidays

Say more please. Or point me to a paper please.
What’s the significance of religious holidays....?

Well I've heard that regardless of religious predilection , if you drink

and have to put up with religious holidays you tend to drink more

be happy the calendar is telling you to be

more Booze please

I don't know about religious festivals but in Russia it's often from dodgy alcohol being sold as drinkable on the street or in markets and shops, often to homeless and other vulnerable people. I don't know much about Iran but iirc the ban on alcohol has led to a situation where it gets sold on black market with no quality / safety controls

I don't think it has a great deal to do with religion tbh. A lot of the time this dodgy alcohol is on sale in small towns with very high unemployment and a low life expectancy, high poverty rates etc. I don't think this looks like alcohol poisoning though, probably some other sort of pollution?

Is there a comparable drinking culture in India? I know it’s bad in Russia but I’ve always assumed (perhaps incorrectyl) that India doesn’t have a booze issue

Is there a comparable drinking culture in India? I know it’s bad in Russia but I’ve always assumed (perhaps incorrectyl) that India doesn’t have a booze issue
It's not so much having a booze issue as in lots of alcoholics, but issues with booze that contains things booze ought not to. India does have a history with that, although I would guess it wouldn't be such a mystery if that was the cause in this case.

India has massive booze issues (obviously not all over) but yeah, lots of places the only way you are supposed to be able to get any alcohol - if you're not rich - is the goverment run liquor store, and so people do make their own. If it's anything to do with that though i'd be surprised its not almost entirely men who are sick.
eta 65 children under 12 are involved apparently, dont think its a homebrew issue. .

Last edited:
Looks like it was heavy metals poisoning but they don't know the source.
According to the Hindustan Times, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences found traces of lead and nickel in blood samples from some of the patients. While heavy metals can have neurotoxic effects in the human body, there is not yet a clear source. Waterways, milk, food sources, and other avenues of possible contamination have been tested so far, but no evidence has been found.

“We have tentatively identified the primary cause of this strange phenomenon, but it is not yet clear what its source is and how and why it has happened. For instance, the chemicals were found in the bodies of the patients but not in either water or any other food substance,” health commissioner Katamaneni Bhaskar tells the Times.

The majority of the patients have been released from the hospital, and the 84 who remain are expected to be discharged soon, according to The Indian Express. A 45-year-old man is the only fatality among the patients, though he had a heart attack unrelated to his hospitalization.

Health officials from across the country continue to search for the culprit. Bhaskar tells the Times that he expects investigators will identify it within the next couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom