Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

20 hour room temperature Lasagne - Eat or bin?

The thing is, the ones who’ve convinced themselves they’ll die if they eat anything which was at room temperature for more than 30 minutes will never do so, hence they will continue forever to be inhibited and will throw away perfectly good food, so will never learn. The fact they try to lecture the more savvy posters on this thread who do have experience of safely letting cooked food remain at room temps fatally undermines their arguments.

This ignorance is probably encouraged by daytime tv shows and newspaper scare stories. The increased profits the supermarkets and food industry make from people fearfully binning unspoiled food is doubtless entirely unconnected to the misinformation spread to the public.
I have to be careful as things like e coli are well documented in causing kidney problems and even failure. So I am not going to risk my already not- great health eating something that might be off.

Has keybored posted today? :eek:
Still alive. I decided not to risk it... I don't like chucking away food but a few days off work would have costed a lot more than the replacement meal.

I've batch cooked stuff for years, I almost always leave it in the pot to cool overnight, then chuck the pot in the fridge in the morning and portion it up and freeze it the following evening. There is no way I'd throw stuff out after 2 hours or 20 minutes or whatever some people are banging on about but eventually I had to admit 20 hours in heatwave room temperature is taking the piss a bit.

Still alive. I decided not to risk it... I don't like chucking away food but a few days off work would have costed a lot more than the replacement meal.

I've batch cooked stuff for years, I almost always leave it in the pot to cool overnight, then chuck the pot in the fridge in the morning and portion it up and freeze it the following evening. There is no way I'd throw stuff out after 2 hours or 20 minutes or whatever some people are banging on about but eventually I had to admit 20 hours in heatwave room temperature is taking the piss a bit.
Very sensible

I was going to suggest feeding it to a convenient carnivorous animal ...

Back in the last century when the supermarkets closed early, I had two cats and a dog.
Disorganised as usual I managed to run out of food for the poor things, so I went to Miss Millie's for a generous helping of the blandest chicken they did and none of them would touch it.

Thank fuck you are OK.

I used to live in Bari, Italy where they eat a lot of raw fish, octopus and shellfish , which is both healthy and tasty until you go yellow. However, it is usually Hepatitis A from which nearly everybody makes a full recovery. And, they haven't had a Cholera outbreak in Bari since 1994, which was the year after I left.

If lunch is going to kill me I'd rather it looked like this

ristorante-l-agrumeto.jpg

or this

seppie-crude.jpg

or best of all, this

ricci.jpg

Than something ladled out of gentlegreen crusty stockpot.

A colleague once ate Chicken Sashimi and survived but I wouldn’t fancy that - or sea urchins myself!

A colleague once ate Chicken Sashimi and survived but I wouldn’t fancy that - or sea urchins myself!

Sea urchins are really nice when fresh from the sea cut open and eaten with a spoon or bread a fresh delicate sweet taste of the sea. My experience is mainly in Puglia. I had some in France once but they were bigger and probably (we were in Paris) not too fresh. You should buy or catch them and eat them by the sea.

This is the best way

Sea urchins are really nice when fresh from the sea cut open and eaten with a spoon or bread a fresh delicate sweet taste of the sea. My experience is mainly in Puglia. I had some in France once but they were bigger and probably (we were in Paris) not too fresh. You should buy or catch them and eat them by the sea.

This is the best way

I’m still traumatised from eating sea cucumber in Korea last year.

For reference - eat cucumber instead

I’m still traumatised from eating sea cucumber in Korea last year.

For reference - eat cucumber instead

Sea cucumber is my Number One food phobia and I've never even seen one in the (slimy squirmy) flesh. (And I've eaten giant African land snail, which was horrendous.) Did you know what it was / were you warned? Tell more if your stomach can stand it. I know I want to avoid sea cucumber forever but would enjoy your trauma vicariously.

Sea cucumber is my Number One food phobia and I've never even seen one in the (slimy squirmy) flesh. (And I've eaten giant African land snail, which was horrendous.) Did you know what it was / were you warned? Tell more if your stomach can stand it. I know I want to avoid sea cucumber forever but would enjoy your trauma vicariously.

I was on an island where various types of sashimi and sea creatures are a speciality. We ordered a rather expensive platter of the local delicacies and they were all disgusting (and I’m someone who will try anything). There’s often a reason why local delicacies haven’t really travelled further than the next town.

What I learnt from that meal was that I like fish, and enjoy shellfish up to a point. What I don’t like is things which live in the sea but don’t look like a fish - and in fact it’s better not to eat them.

I have deleted the pictures I took but for reference it looks rather like a piece of raw offal but less appetising and comes in a pleasing slug shape, presumably as a deterrent.

I was on an island where various types of sashimi and sea creatures are a speciality. We ordered a rather expensive platter of the local delicacies and they were all disgusting (and I’m someone who will try anything). There’s often a reason why local delicacies haven’t really travelled further than the next town.

What I learnt from that meal was that I like fish, and enjoy shellfish up to a point. What I don’t like is things which live in the sea but don’t look like a fish - and in fact it’s better not to eat them.

I have deleted the pictures I took but for reference it looks rather like a piece of raw offal but less appetising and comes in a pleasing slug shape, presumably as a deterrent.
Count yourself lucky, there's one that looks a penis. An actual disembodied moving by itself penis.

Koreans eat it for virility, apparently (source: Korean former colleagues).

I learnt the hard way not to put a hot container straight in the fridge. Glass shelf shattered. Sounded like a gun going off.
You didn't take the container from the oven and put it straight in the fridge did you? I let whatever it is cool for about half an hour before fridging it - shelves still intact.

Sea cucumber is my Number One food phobia and I've never even seen one in the (slimy squirmy) flesh.
I've eaten sea cucumber. If you wanted to try it you could ease yourself into it by practising eating pieces of used bicycle tyre. It's not overly slimy when cooked but that's about the nicest thing I have to say about it. And it was served in chunks small enough that you're just eating something-meat unlike snails which tend to confront you with their form and I just cannot stomach.

on the same theme, what was the snail like? I would never, ever eat anything like that. I am reassured that my instincts are correct with you saying it was awful.

I've eaten sea cucumber. If you wanted to try it you could ease yourself into it by practising eating pieces of used bicycle tyre. It's not overly slimy when cooked but that's about the nicest thing I have to say about it. And it was served in chunks small enough that you're just eating something-meat unlike snails which tend to confront you with their form and I just cannot stomach.
Bicycle tyres are vegan, of course, so that’s a big advantage these days.

Before the widespread adoption of refrigerators, I’m sure most people managed to survive dinner on a daily basis. Some even lived into adulthood despite there being no antibiotics. :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom