Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2 Weeks in Japan?

Nice, keen to hear how you get on. We are also planning a visit at some point. We live in the region but never been to Japan for some reason.

I'm going to a farm in north japan this year. They don't have an inside toilet, or one that flushes. It's going to be interestingly old school.

Everybody's going to Japan (except me) :(

:p

Have the time of your lives. My nextr trip is in the 'idea gathering' stage! :)

sim, if you are prone to getting lost I highly recommend renting a pocket wifi to use with your smartphone etc. Helped me already and it's the second day I've been here.

sim, if you are prone to getting lost I highly recommend renting a pocket wifi to use with your smartphone etc. Helped me already and it's the second day I've been here.

Im pretty good at directions etc, but thanks..... Ill bear it in mind.

Incidentally, it's exactly one year to the day that I visited Japan. I'm pretty sad about that, but happy that the countdown to my next trip has started :D Also, going to make some sushi and and drink sake tonight :D

I have one of those mini fold up ones from home but it looks very sad hanging out with the tall full sized ones at the front of restaurants etc :(
Go to the hyakuen shop. Those see though or white ones you see everywhere are only haykuen (100yen / 70p). Hyakuen shops (bit like pound shops) are in most shotengai (Japanese style shopping street - sometimes half indoors)

Incidentally, I have had to cancel my trip in August due to work. Ticket booked and everything. No refunds. Bummer. I was looking forward to visiting somewhere other than just Tokyo.
We were going to stay with relatives in the north who live a very rural existence. Think Totoro. They have no plumbed toilets etc etc.

Sounds like an easy mission for tomorrow :)
The bigger department store hyakuen stores are AMAZING. I stock up on slippers, sieves, cooking stuff, whatever, all good quality all 100yen. If you think Japan is expensive ,visit the hyakuen shops and see the other side of the story. Pound shops here are joke.

Also, if you get to go to a car boot sale, they tend to be insanely cheap, far far far cheaper than ours. More about a clear out and having a community moment than making money.

The bigger department store hyakuen stores are AMAZING. I stock up on slippers, sieves, cooking stuff, whatever, all good quality all 100yen. If you think Japan is expensive ,visit the hyakuen shops and see the other side of the story. Pound shops here are joke.

Also, if you get to go to a car boot sale, they tend to be insanely cheap, far far far cheaper than ours. More about a clear out and having a community moment than making money.

A friend who visited Japan recently kept imploring I go to Seria as she thinks they are the best chain 100 yen shops.

I've been looking to see if there are any flea markets on when I'm in Kyoto but so far no luck. I'll keep trying.

A friend who visited Japan recently kept imploring I go to Seria as she thinks they are the best chain 100 yen shops.

I've been looking to see if there are any flea markets on when I'm in Kyoto but so far no luck. I'll keep trying.

I'm not sure where you are but they tend to be in the shotengai away from the central big shots like shinjuku etc. I guess you sort of need to know where they are. Probably not worth making a big trip for, but I tend to fill my suitcase with things that would cost around a fiver back in the UK.

Does anyone know what plug adapters I need?

I think I need one that converts voltage aswell as the plug don't i?

Does anyone know what plug adapters I need?

I think I need one that converts voltage aswell as the plug don't i?

English to Japanese. Two flat pins, a bit like the US but flat.
What are you plugging in?
Mobile things like laptops, phones etc usually don't need any kind of step up adapter. I doubt you are taking a TV, amplifier or fridge etc etc.
Japan is 100v to our 240v

Tired of getting lost all the time :mad: Still loving all the food so far :cool:
The food is wonderful. From the street or a family mart, all yummy. Well mostly. I got addicted to nukuman (from family mart). I don't know if I could every eat one again now.

As for getting lost, almost all streets have maps on them, which, unlike most english street maps, hare positioned in the same way that that are facing.

The food is wonderful. From the street or a family mart, all yummy. Well mostly. I got addicted to nukuman (from family mart). I don't know if I could every eat one again now.

As for getting lost, almost all streets have maps on them, which, unlike most english street maps, hare positioned in the same way that that are facing.

I don't know how many bloody parfaits I've eaten so far :oops: I guess since I'm from Melbourne so I'm used to things being on a grid like system. To be honest it was mostly Shinjuku that confused me. Especially the giant train station. I liked other parts of Tokyo way more. I went to Kamakura on Saturday. That place might be touristy but I found spending the day their lovely.

Anyway, last night in Tokyo. Off to Kyoto tomorrow.

I don't know how many bloody parfaits I've eaten so far :oops: I guess since I'm from Melbourne so I'm used to things being on a grid like system. To be honest it was mostly Shinjuku that confused me. Especially the giant train station. I liked other parts of Tokyo way more. I went to Kamakura on Saturday. That place might be touristy but I found spending the day their lovely.

Anyway, last night in Tokyo. Off to Kyoto tomorrow.

I know shinjuku quite well because I have rented two or three apartments there in the past. I do remember being a bit lost there though when I have strayed out of my comfort zone. It's actually the grid style bits that I get lost in, because there are no street names and it all looks the same. Japan can be crazy in some places because house and building numbers are not in sequence, and sometimes a road won't have a name.
I have a harder time in Shibuya. Smaller, but somehow I have difficulty finding the two places I want to visit there.
The walk from SHinjuku through meji jingu to harajuku and then to shibuya is a good one that takes in all the sights and let's you get your bearings a bit. Just popping out at JR stations can be a bit weird.

I was wondering why my asthma was so bad but I had one of the antihistamines I brought from home so I'm sure it must be hayfever related. Which is weird since I don't have any other symptoms. Anyway, I loved taking the bullet train.

Incidentally, I have had to cancel my trip in August due to work. Ticket booked and everything. No refunds. Bummer. I was looking forward to visiting somewhere other than just Tokyo.
We were going to stay with relatives in the north who live a very rural existence. Think Totoro. They have no plumbed toilets etc etc.

Can you transfer the flight?

Back
Top Bottom