Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2 Weeks in Japan?

I will have about 3000 pounds to spend all up (including flights, accomodation, food, spending money, train tickets etc) I'm told that will be adequate for 11 days. Fuck yeah :cool:

It's like anything, it depends. If you want to buy stuff, eat in half way decent restaurants, stay in a nicer hotel then yes. If you are just sightseeing, sharing a dorm room, eating food from 7-11 or the local fast food outlets then no. I tend to worry too much so I would rather allocate more money than I need than run out. Airfares are a bit cheaper from Australian than the UK I can imagine.

I was thinking of doing the Trans-Siberian then a ferry to Japan from China; possibly a little ambitious... :oops:

I can eat pretty cheap, but I know how costs can stack up quite quickly. Clearly gonna have to do a lot of research meself :D

Oh, and I think planning on spending more money than you do is a far more sensible approach than the other way round :D

OK, I was wrong, it takes about the same amount of time to fly non-stop from London to Japan vs Melbourne to Japan. In fact, sim might get cheaper flights as there is less competition for business in Australia. But I'm used to things costing a lot of money to get to unless you are just going to Sydney or Tasmania. New Zealand is about $300-$400 return. I thinks that's 176 - 250 pounds.

I was speaking to me mam and she wants to take the family on a proper big holiday for their 30th wedding anniversary next year (when I say family, there's only me, her and dad)...... She wants me to pick somewhere, I'd previously said vietnam, but im thinking japan might be a better option as I can afford vietnam more easily on my own....

Theyre in spain til next week so we're going to discuss it next week....

They love hijacking my holidays, when I booked Iceland I got a very sheepish "Can we come" phonecall from them a couple of days after :D

Flights to Japan are never all that cheap anymore. I've been on direct flights for about £300 or so before, but for the last few years (that new tax thing?) it's always around the £600-£800 mark (cheapest) whenever you go and whatever flight you take. Try not to go when everyone in England or Japan are taking holidays, it's much more expensive in every way.

I'm not sure if you are still going, but personally, if it was my first time to Japan, and it was only two weeks, I would consider not really straying from Tokyo. That might be just me though. I don't really like sight seeing. Japan has a good mix of old and new, and you can see some very different styles of life within a relatively short distance.

I realise kyoto and Osaka etc are very different places, but it might be a waste of journey time and cost to just go on a tourist run. Tokyo has big central shrines that all the tourists love, but you can just take a quick trip to chiba for a walk around temples and areas that look like they are straight out of a period samurai film.

and Obon..

(the date changes each year but is July in some parts of the country and August in others.. )

that being said - an amazing time to be there as the festivals around it are stunning!

Just booked my seats today actually. Sadly high season and connecting flights.
For the first time I will be going up north for a bit as well as Tokyoing. An uncle (in law) owns a farm or something. It is supposed to be very oldy world and out of the way, with baths and toilets a la Totoro.

See, I've had people tell the opposite, that's if your first trip more than five days in Tokyo is a waste of time.
I don't quite understand this sentence.
Are you saying - You've had people have tell you the opposite (to what I said?). If you are spending more than five days in Tokyo on your first trip it is a waste of time?

I would say that if you can 'do' Tokyo in five days, then you are not doing it right. Anyway, like I said, different people like different things. I don't particularly like going to tourist spots. Traveling all day to go to yet another mega tourist shrine in a different location is not really my bag.

I don't quite understand this sentence.
Are you saying - You've had people have tell you the opposite (to what I said?). If you are spending more than five days in Tokyo on your first trip it is a waste of time?

I would say that if you can 'do' Tokyo in five days, then you are not doing it right. Anyway, like I said, different people like different things. I don't particularly like going to tourist spots. Traveling all day to go to yet another mega tourist shrine in a different location is not really my bag.

Yes, I've had people tell me that spending more than five days in Tokyo on your first trip is probably not the way to go. But you're right, people like doing different things on their holidays and all that.

Yes, I've had people tell me that spending more than five days in Tokyo on your first trip is probably not the way to go. But you're right, people like doing different things on their holidays and all that.

Yes, I think if you were a tick the box tourist you could walk around Meji Jingu in the morning then do Harajiku, Shibuya then finish up in Shinjuku for dinner - all in one day. Five days of that sort of thing in Tokyo would be more than enough for me.

I am probably not a good example though as I have been going to Japan once or twice a year, for the last 13 years, always for more than two weeks at a time, and I have never gone any further than Chiba or Yokohama.
It really is about time I did more exploring.
Maybe I should pay attention to some of what this thread may offer.

Thank you so much! Still gotta book hotels and all that :hmm: Oh well, details details :D

I probably recommend it before but I like to recommend the Koenji guesthouse in Tokyo. Mostly because it is cheap friendly and in a brilliant location.
I understand it might not be everyone's bag though. I used to rent an apartment for a few weeks, you can stay in Shinjuku (like being just off oxford street) for the price you would be paying for regular rent in London.

I'm hopefully going on a longer trip next time, so may well go for guest houses. When I went this year I stayed at the Park Hyatt for one night. Dream come true right there :D. I then downgraded to a 4 star (okay, it was a 40th treat and I broke the bank!)

I'm hopefully going on a longer trip next time, so may well go for guest houses. When I went this year I stayed at the Park Hyatt for one night. Dream come true right there :D. I then downgraded to a 4 star (okay, it was a 40th treat and I broke the bank!)
For me it's not really about the money, I just hate those hotels. The guesthouse is very cool. I also prefer to do my own cooking and potter about as if I am in my own home. Hotels do nothing for me.

Mind you if money saving is your thing, then the Koenji guesthouse is cheaper that capsule hotels.

For me it's not really about the money, I just hate those hotels. The guesthouse is very cool. I also prefer to do my own cooking and potter about as if I am in my own home. Hotels do nothing for me.

Mind you if money saving is your thing, then the Koenji guesthouse is cheaper that capsule hotels.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hotels are hotels. I'd like something more personal an social too, as well as saving some cash.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hotels are hotels. I'd like something more personal an social too, as well as saving some cash.
Then Koenji Guesthouse might be for you.
You are pretty much left to your own devices. I'm not sure how social it is though, when I have been it is usually filled with bandmates who already know each other.
However you are right by the coolest late night dives with the friendliest Japanese crowds I have ever come across (bar the really odd places in Yokohama). It's almost impossible not to make friends with the locals/regulars/staff. JR Train right outside that can take you to Shinjuku in a couple of stops.

I've not actually stayed there myself, but I have spent a more than a few late nights in the area (and on the guesthouse roof).

Back
Top Bottom