Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

“Perfect“ films

I don't think any film is perfect and for many it might have been perfect at the time and perhaps not so much any more.

I've just watches once upon a time in Hollywood for the second time and I think it could be a contender. I don't like all of Mr Ts work but this one is pretty solid on the tension, intrigue and reward. It looks great and has lots of nice touches that make it sing. There are a couple of bits that I'm not so keen on or sag a little, but I'm being picky to call them out.
Bit mainstream perhaps, but it is good. I like some of his other flicks but not so much. . . Death Proof was terrible.
I also dig the good the bad and the ugly and have done since I was a young lad.

I don't think any film is perfect and for many it might have been perfect at the time and perhaps not so much any more.

I've just watches once upon a time in Hollywood for the second time and I think it could be a contender. I don't like all of Mr Ts work but this one is pretty solid on the tension, intrigue and reward. It looks great and has lots of nice touches that make it sing. There are a couple of bits that I'm not so keen on or sag a little, but I'm being picky to call them out.
Bit mainstream perhaps, but it is good. I like some of his other flicks but not so much. . . Death Proof was terrible.
1705958533093.jpeg

???

I had no idea of his involvement.

I thought Fantastic Mr. Fox was pretty perfect, while not my favourite movie ever it was still great. I also absolutely love The Suicide Squad (the new one, not the bad one), i cant find anything about it I would change. same goes for Excision, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and Tyrannosaur
I was a bit dubious after the mention of, the perfect fine but no better, Fantastic Mister Fox, but those last two are stunners, so I decided to look up Excision. Traci Lords! Malcolm McDowell. John Waters!! 75 minutes of weird comic genius. But five minutes of disappointing ending.

Still worth seeing tho, so, ta.

I’m surprised Ocean’s Eleven (I was thinking of the 2001 remake with George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts et al, but the original version with the Rat pack would be a fair shout too) hasn’t got a mention yet.

Robocop. It’s one of my favourite films ever and I recently re-watched it. And the making there off.

I think I'd have to disagree in fairly strong terms (but I would, because I've always been lukewarm on most Tarantino). It's an absolute mess of a film in my opinion and if you didn't have a clue who/what Sharon Tate/Spahn Ranch were when you watched it (I didn't, and it's never stated in the film itself), then you'll probably have absolutely no clue what's meant to be going on, and I certainly didn't. The rest just seemed to be a threadbare patchwork of self-congratulatory vignettes, movie nostalgia, or feet. Whilst I'm not disputing the film had some great touches, it just came over as even more sprawling and messy than most of Mr. T's latter day output. I pity the fool.

Robocop. It’s one of my favourite films ever and I recently re-watched it. And the making there off.

A classic and no mistake. Us movie-loving oldsters at the office maintain a whiteboard which is basically a nostalgia-laden list of movies from the 70s, 80s and 90s that we recommend to the younglings* to watch, with marks out of 10 written next to them as and when they get watched. Robocop's consistently one of the best-ranked; despite the occasional ropey special effect and the ludicrous zig-zagging in tone, it's far greater than the sum of its parts and the completely bald-face satire of 80s-flavour capitalism strikes a chord with a lot of them.

As someone said in their definition of the thread above though, "perfect" being "I can't think of any way to improve it" - I can think of a way of improving it, which'd be fixing Dick Jones' arms. That is all it needs, but that makes it imperfect I guess.

* The company feels a bit like Logan's run at times. I'm ten years older than my boss and there's at least twelve people in the office that were born this century. Grosse Point Blank is also very popular (I have to wonder how much of that is due to the excellent soundtrack though).

I think I'd have to disagree in fairly strong terms (but I would, because I've always been lukewarm on most Tarantino).
I can't say I am a big fan. Though I have enjoyed a few of his films.
It's an absolute mess of a film in my opinion and if you didn't have a clue who/what Sharon Tate/Spahn Ranch were when you watched it (I didn't, and it's never stated in the film itself), then you'll probably have absolutely no clue what's meant to be going on, and I certainly didn't.
I don't think that is true at all. I think it just adds another layer. It's really not important.
The rest just seemed to be a threadbare patchwork of self-congratulatory vignettes,
I don't know about threadbare, but yes. A few enjoyable vignettes. I think that's what is good about it. Nicely threaded together and with some fantastic tension.
movie nostalgia, or feet.
I didn't really get a huge sense of that other than the time it was set and the subject matter. I don't remember any feet.
Whilst I'm not disputing the film had some great touches, it just came over as even more sprawling and messy than most of Mr. T's latter day output. I pity the fool.
I thought it was quite tight apart from the bruce lee bit and the fast forward time jump just before the end. A simple, not overly complicated tale.
What I really liked was that cinematicly it told that simple story very well and in an engaging way. On paper it sounds shite, but as a film I was all in.

Yeah it's not 'perfect'. I'm not sure anything is. I did thibk it was a very good example of inserting intresr, intrigue and tenstion into almost every scene. I'm not usually one to applaud Quentin's work, but I can imagine the whole film falling completely flat if the script had been in the hands of another director.

Back
Top Bottom