Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

“Perfect“ films

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
It occurred to me whilst watching the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123 that this is a perfect film.

As a heist / suspense film and as a piece of entertainment it is virtually flawless. Perhaps the high point of its genre despite being very much a genre film. Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw at the top of their game as they battle each other.

There must be other films which fit into this category. I also thought of Jaws, Stand By Me. Not necessarily the best film ever made from a technical or acting side but masters of their genre and made without trying to be anything other than a good entertaining story.

Does anyone have any other contenders, or equally, feel free to attack my viewpoint, it’s all good :D

A Bronx Tale.

Robert de Niros directorial debut. Based on a play by Chaz Palminteri, brilliant writer. He's The guy who plays the gangster in it.

It was just so well done. It was subtle and calm but had such an emotional depth to it. It just flowed. Yeah it's a certain type of film, it's that one that Robert de Niro always did back when he was good. But he does it brilliantly. It's not stark or shocking or mind blowing. It's just a gently written piece of cinema that's been put together with a very light touch. It's an absolute pleasure to watch, there's a richness to it but it's not even trying to do anything. It's just telling a little story.

He disliked my nomination. Obviously had no taste :D
I dislike all the choices as there is no such thing as a perfect film and even the OP seems rather confused about that. I just find Star Wars the saddest choice.

While I could point out plenty of individual flaws when it comes to Stars Wars, its biggest flaw is that its success steered Hollywood movies towards the bloated special effects driven franchises, which are monopolising the industry now (and the "fanboy" culture which comes with it). The 70s was the most artistically daring decade ever for Hollywood movies. I'd pick Nashville, Klute, Chinatown, Taxi Driver, All That Jazz, A New Leaf, Dog Day Afternoon, The Godfather, The Taking of Pelham 123 and at least a hundred other 70s Hollywood movies over Star Wars.

Star Wars and what it spawned spelled the end to a period of the most artistically and thematically challenging Hollywood films and now all it produces is market researched corporate product aimed at the widest common denominator.

...and that's me participating in a lighthearted thread about "perfect" films. :D

Carry on...

Last edited:
Rear Window.
A perfectly crafted murder, mystery suspense film directed by Hitchcock starring Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly.
It has the murder mystery, it has a romance interest and it has a dozen different stories as seen by the principle
characters spying in other peoples apartments. The film is seen through the eyes of the principal character who is stuck
in a wheelchair, in his apartment for the entire film.
All shot in a beautifully constructed and lit stage set.

Depends how specific you are about genres e.g.

12 Angry Men is the perfect jury film
Room is the perfect kidnapped and held in a room for years film
The Bridge on the River Kwai is the perfect British POWs in Burma film
Hacksaw Ridge is the perfect army medic not killing anyone in a single battle film
etc

I’ve no time for boom boom action movies but eminently watchable again and again are
Gladiator
The Bourne Identity

packed with relentless, seamless hi octane set ups they just roll through the film and time flies, I never get tired or bored of them despite having seen them both loads

Jaws is another I rediscovered on a big screen HD telly and surround sound

I describe them as films that if they start on terrestrial telly you have to watch them ....nowadays I’ll just flick to smart tv and jack em up in HD

watched citizen Kane a few weeks ago and thought it was pump

Back
Top Bottom