Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Youtube Reggae Blues Dance Disco Clash

Which do you prefer, the 1981 or the 1978

(I like both but prefer the 1981, maybe thats because it's the one I heard first)

Bizarre, I'm a 78/Gussie Clark in the bias stakes, but for me its cos the riddim, though noet exactly complex, I have always loved it cos I heard Jah Lloyd - Green Bay Massacre round about the time the 78 came out, BUT the 81 is so different and so good, hard and possibly wrong to rank them. Anyway here's Jah Lloyd, love this mix, and Jah Lloyd ( or otherwise known as Jah Lion)

Reactions: bmd
Years before Morley, before Digga D could drop the ref as what his ? would get, Ranking Trevor caught the Spirit of South London... lord I loved him for it

Reactions: bmd
I like them both but if I had to choose it would be the earlier one.
Me too, and as the Peckham fella said, it's perhaps a bit unfair to rank them.
Having said that, I lean towards the 81 version. For me the vocals and the riddim are a tighter fit, and I just love that flute.

Anyway...moving on...
I love both of these FANTASTIC versions equally...

Having said its unfair to rank versions, must say I have been a Roy Francis Phase 1 worshipper from time, he did Waiting in the Park with the Chantelles - THE steppers tune from back then. As we are on this comparison tip - did you know the orig version of Shame and Pride? The Diamonds cut it for Jah Lloyd, two years later, the turned up at Channel One with the same riddim track, layed down the vocals and not one note of thanks to Lloyd. Check it, vocals more one cut vibe than the polished Virgin version - "FarI was right on this, Call your Branson? You are a pickle with no place on my plate" Beardy would be space boy was a robbing shit from the off

This actually errol brown as engineer re-recording from around 77 after Sonia had bought Treasure Isle, not the Duke Reid rocksteady original

big tunes P - hadnt heard that junior demus cut - powerful!!
come back to me is such an ear worm tune - stuck in my head now

Back
Top Bottom