Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Youtube Defeats Adblockers

Karl Masks

Birds Angel Delight
Seems they've finally managed it. I cannot watch it at all without disabling the ad blockers and I haven't found anything that works. Any ideas or is it game over for those who don't want to watch bizarre conspiracy promotions, white supremacist hip hop, and whatever other shit YT wants to sell me.

There's lots of very clever people writing software to force you to watch adverts and lots of equally clever people writing software to stop them from doing so. Just because the pendulum has swung in one direction doesn't mean it won't swing back the other. Be patient help is no doubt on the way.

Seems they've finally managed it. I cannot watch it at all without disabling the ad blockers and I haven't found anything that works. Any ideas or is it game over for those who don't want to watch bizarre conspiracy promotions, white supremacist hip hop, and whatever other shit YT wants to sell me.
TBH I pay for the premium service. It’s better value than my Netflix subscription.

One of the biggest things that fucks me off about YouTube ads is the jarring out of context tone. Like I watch a few serious videos, analysis of news and whatnot and you get some cheery fucking advert for a Google pixel or something. I do watch fun stuff on there as well. and adverts are annoying in different ways. As are all those shorts.

I just closed the 'You can't use an Ad-Blocker 'pop-up (clicked the X in the top-right corner) and carried on watching without seeing any ads. I'm using Firefox with uBlock Origin.

Oh, that's interesting, I'll have to try that.

I am using uBlock Origin, and YT has blocked it twice in the last 4-6 weeks, I turned off uBlock, skipped the ads, turned uBlock back on, and it's another 2-3 weeks before YT spots it.

I can't slkip the ads though. It's reached the point where watching any content is blocked unless I disarm. I'm going to try Ghostery.

I've just tried and DuckDuckGo browser is still playing things in the Duck Player (you have to turn that option on) and it seems to still be blocking ads for me. About DuckDuckGo

e2a - this is on my MacBook Air by the way, not a phone/tablet

Perhaps it's Opera and not the extensions. I've not found a blocker that works, Ghostery doesn't. Not sure I can be bothered to try another

So far so good with Firefox, uBlock Origin, Duckduckgo Privacy Essentials, Privacy Badger & pi-hole. Not signed in and just click the X. Will be interested to see how long it lasts, and whether it'll still block with them all except pi-hole turned off.

You do know the adverts reflect your browsing habits. Hence I never see any white supremacist, conspiracy or hip hop ones.
It was mainly during the pandemic. Some white rapper had a video that got shown, clearly not an advert. Likewise presentations, often up to an hour long, for all sorts of crank guff. I don't think browsing habits were involved; i think it was paid for content

You do know the adverts reflect your browsing habits. Hence I never see any white supremacist, conspiracy or hip hop ones.
While this is prob true to a point, it's not just about what is interesting to you, but also that your browsing habits possibly make you interesting to advertisers or video makers, right?

They want to create new consumers, as well as keep current ones.

While this is prob true to a point, it's not just about what is interesting to you, but also that your browsing habits possibly make you interesting to advertisers or video makers, right?

They want to create new consumers, as well as keep current ones.
They mostly try and get me interested in stuff I already own. :D

I just closed the 'You can't use an Ad-Blocker 'pop-up (clicked the X in the top-right corner) and carried on watching without seeing any ads. I'm using Firefox with uBlock Origin.
Same here. Can't remember what adblocker I use but it still works fine. At least for the moment.

Opera with adblock seems to have solved the problem, but don't log into youtube, just create your playlist. Bit of a chore but worth doing.

One of the biggest things that fucks me off about YouTube ads is the jarring out of context tone. Like I watch a few serious videos, analysis of news and whatnot and you get some cheery fucking advert for a Google pixel or something. I do watch fun stuff on there as well. and adverts are annoying in different ways. As are all those shorts.
And the fact that, having had a very negative experience with one of their advertisers, I'm inclined to think that the whole bunch of them are chancers and dodgy.

Adverts help small time content creators though. It takes hours and not insignificant expense to put stuff together that folk thumb their noses at getting for free with the minor hassle of being put out by an ad they could simply ignore.

have 2 ad blockers running ..

pause one and refresh

when it prompts you to do the same to the other comply

but unpause the first one

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

This is just bullshit. The cost of Youtube Premium is ridiculous at twenty quid a month. That's more than double most streaming services.

The alternative is having ti sthrough adverts that can last up to five minutes. Youc an't refresh the screen, you can't skip them. FFS, this is way too much. 15 seconds is one thing, but someone selling me their 'work from home' crypto/gold/premium trader service is out of order. Fuck this shit.

Back
Top Bottom