Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*Your favourite record and what it means to you!

Yeah, I think it's better and more poweful than the original, as Cash has a more powerful and authorative voice and has certainly lived the life that the lyrics look back upon, but Reznor should still be acknowledged as the creator

I heard Johnny Cash first, and was then told it was a Nine Inch Nails song, so of course listened. I absolutely agree with you, two completely valid and authentic readings.

Yes, sorry about that , it is the lyrics website I quoted that from that is to fault there I think. Punks have never really had a proper respect for grammar and spelling. Damn them ! Probably a bunch of council estate prols TBH.;) (was that on purpose lol)

One of my favourites.

I was 16 when it came out, and was an absolute favourite in the school club.

The set on the autochanger was:

Which way you going Billy? The Poppy Family
My Sweet Lord. George Harrison
Woodstock Matthews Southern Comfort
Honey Bobby Goldsborough
Galveston Glen Campbell

There was one young lady whose boast was that by the end of the set, you would have err somewhat soggy underpants. :oops:

At the moment I'm listening to the Fratellis a lot, especially the album from which this comes.

The lyrics would perhaps have been better written by someone with an understanding of English. 'Tow' to pull along. 'Toe' digit attached to the foot.

I will say it more clearly . The lyrics I quoted clearly use the word tow . Also this thread is called whats your favourite record and why.......... . . . . . . .

Edited (Age deserves respect+dont wanna be banned )

Last edited:
It's not really a fave but it's something which has been in my head for the last week or so. And why not!

I think it's pretty cool but quite sparse but it's all still there innit :D

Last edited:

Who'd have thought a song could have "Hashtag Cookie Jar" in its chorus. The Japanese debut song by South Korean band Red Velvet. Oh so catchy: propelled by its retro funky bass and percussion; and not forgetting that cool trickling breakdown. All of which is supported by superb, uplifting vocals. What a bop: one of their best Red side songs.

Last edited:
East of the River Nile - Augustus Pablo
I bought my first copy in the late 70s when it came out
it, along with Joni Mitchell's Blue and John Martin's Solid Air have been constant companions ever since
But its Pablo I could never do without
it was recorded in multiple studios, remixed and finished at Tubbies probably, but I love the way you can hear some stylist twist and guess at the producer - tbf the Blackark stuff is well obvious ...
it is a thoughtful, fully realised run through all the emotions
I love it

I defy anyone to dislike it
From track one, Chant to King Selassie I ,it is perfect

The instrument he's playing is a Hohner Melodica, here's mine.

Like myself, It is a bit ancient and battered, I've had it 45 years. :)

1m9wJkP.jpg

A song, one with the same name as my first love, a girl I haven't seen for over 30years but I still think of a lot.

Hope it doesn't break the rules as much as my heart broke at the time.

In Gorbechev we trust - The Shamen.

I defy any man woman or beast to take a potent amount of halucinogenics with this playing on the stereo and not come out the other end a changed person.

Loved the Shamen since the early indie stuff. In Gorbachev We Trust is indeed n amazing record. I used to have it on tape and tracked down a digital upload a while back as I hadn't heard it in years. Will's death was awful and the band with Mr C in tow were never the same again unfortunately.

my favorite record is from Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers
Islands in the Stream

Every time I listen to this song it just makes me want to dance all over the room and lighten my mood

DILLINGER.roots rock reggae punk rock reggae..live at the music machine. played this LP none stop in the 70/80/90/and present.
living near moss side in the 1980 this was the perfect LP. blasting though the windows.i was a young punk 18/19 years old. i even ended up
getting a CB200 motor bike which i swapped for a tv set.the atmosphere on that album and electrifying audience.just going to stick it on now
it still plays today almost on most of the tracks. but cocaine seems to stick :eek:

It’s just flawless innit.

think she was on about gentrification and how it changed her life and relationships, i think, not that gentrification means sweet FA to me cos I swerve it. For many reasons.

Great long running thread :)

I had to pull together a list yesterday of my favourite albums and it reaffirmed my long held view that Dubnobasswithmyheadman by Underworld was still my favourite all time record.

220px-Underworld.dubnobasswithmyheadman.jpg

It's just so beautiful and era defining for me. It takes me to a time when I was discovering more interesting music beyond guitar bands and metal. It seemed like a lightbulb moment in finally 'getting' a whole genre of music I'd not noticed until then. It sounded futuristic, fresh, other worldly, yet also distinctly homegrown. I love every track, every sample used, every synth, vocal, b-line and drum loop. I was 12 when it came out, and though it didn't register for a few months, as soon as I heard it, it was like a whole other window on the world just opened.

Moreover, they'd remain my favourite band for years to come with equally good follow ups in Second Toughest In The Infants, Beaucoup Fish, 100 Days Off, Oblivion With Bells and the live DVD/album. Not forgetting the best Olympic opening ceremony soundtrack I've ever heard, countless amazing gigs through the years, and mutual friends made at some of them.

ETA. I also love the backstory about how they were previously the modestly successful pop act Freur, and then they became 'Underworld' (first version) who made a couple of hideously untrendy guitar albums before they reinvented themselves As Underworld MkII with Darren Emerson to produce this masterpiece.

Last edited:
I found this one recently after not hearing it for thirty-five years. Not really sure it belongs on this thread, but for some reason this always stuck with me from age 12. Evocative and connected to the Sydney working class of my mother and wider family. Strong memories triggered. Phew.

The Times They Are A'Changing, Bob Dylan.

When I first heard this at 15 years old, life was never the same again. His strange weird little voice, the haunting images. The political angst. I thought I had discovered Socrates. 30 years on he's won the Nobel prize for literature. Glad to have shared the same world as Ol Bob Dylan!

Yes - Close To The Edge

I had this album as a young teenager back in the 1970s, I have been a fan of Yes for 50 years and seen them live more times than I can remember but it’s close to 40. I have everything that Yes has ever released but there is something about Close To The Edge that puts it above every other album ever produced.

Oh man, a great first post. I first saw them at Loftus Road and seen them a few times since. Have also seen Rick going solo.

Yes - Close To The Edge

I had this album as a young teenager back in the 1970s, I have been a fan of Yes for 50 years and seen them live more times than I can remember but it’s close to 40. I have everything that Yes has ever released but there is something about Close To The Edge that puts it above every other album ever produced.
Nice profile pic.

Back
Top Bottom