Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*Your favourite record and what it means to you!

Orbital? Weezer? Harold Melvin? Beatles? An album by Blue? :p

We need more info before we can be all judgemental on yo'ass....

i had no idea there were so many blue albums.

well, it would definitely be weezer.

13 yr old junior high memories...

'Quadrophenia' - The Who

As adolescence dragged me kicking, screaming and crying into adulthood, 'Quadrophenia' provided the only music that knew how to stoke my rage; music and lyrics that I clung to like a frightened cub clinging tightly to it's mother. This music pierced my conscience, it screamed at me, told me to run away, run as fast as I could from the depression, loneliness and confusion that had suddenly snatched me from my idylic childhood.

How vividly I remember those tearful summer evenings, when I would sneak out of my parents house and wander for miles, clutching my stolen bottle of vodka, my precious personal stereo, and my beloved 'Quadrophenia' tape. Where I went and who I met I would never truly know.

Fuelled by the neat vodka, I would run around in the dark, crying at strangers, weeping under bridges, trying so hard to understand the confusion and misery that had taken me prisoner, often crashing flat on my face on the hard pavement. But always with Pete Townshend's lyrics and dazzling guitar riffs spinning and thudding through my brain.

"L-o-o-o-v-e, rain on me, rain on me?"

How I ever got home I'll never know. I remember waking up in the mornings, I remember the vomit, the blood, the vodka-burnt lips, the shaking and the pounding headaches that would last for days. I remember the stomach churning guilt when lying to my mother about where I'd been.

Maybe I identified with the film, maybe just the lyrics; I just didn't know anything anymore. Except that this album 'cared' for me, the music understood me and what I was going through. My bedroom in those days was usually thick with the odour of sleep, loneliness and dead tears, but always filled with the tinny, bashing sound of my personal stereo at full volume, spilling those beautiful, hard songs into my head, one after the other, over and over and over again.

"I went back to my mother, I said, 'I'm crazy ma, help me!'
She said, 'I know how you feel, 'Cos it runs in the family.'"

I was lost in that nasty little vodka-sluiced gutter for a number of years; adrft, directionless, and dangerously lonely. Listening to those same songs today makes me want to forget my early adulthood, not remember it. Yet without them I know things would have been much worse. So I would just like to say, "thanks, Pete". Thanks for being by my side when I was alone and when I needed you most. God bless.

Superb album, one of my all time tops. The film was great, not brilliant, few too many continuity errors, but hey ho.

BUT

You seem to have forgotton the "scene" with Steph and Jimmy in the Lanes, hmmm!

just discovered Red House Painters : Katy Song end of last, the sort of song that makes you half enjoy the bit of sadness you're going through at the time, or at least put it into a wider, more life affirming context, helps you connect back to stuff you've been through in the past etc...stunning song, not sure I can name a whole lot better lyrically, the way if flows/scans etc:

Last edited:
I don't know really, I have so many favourite records. I'll just talk a little bit about Come Find Yourself by Fun Lovin' Criminals. Hopefully more people would have heard it, since it's an old album. I love that album. Every time I listen to it I go into a different world. All the songs have this slick and groovy feel to them that just make you want to lay back and chill. Every track tells a story. The album art is interesting too as it gives the music more themes to work with. I've always considered this album fun and relaxing. The themes expressed in this cd are probably more serious than they actually sound, but it's all good. That's the FLC's world and that's what they like singing about. I haven't heard any of their new songs though, maybe I should.

What do you think?

When i first heard So Young/Tell Me by The Stone Roses it was like for the first time i realized there was an alternative to the mainstream, an alternative to my parents music, an alternative to the charts and the radio. I was at a party in Brentwood Essex of all places. They went on to become one of the greatest, and sort of crossed into the mainstream but ive always loved them and the scene the sprung from, and then formed in the 90s. Yes, to some degree the 'lads' adopted them and they became popular, but it wont ever effect the love i have for their music.

There are too many albums that mean something so just a few favorites from different genres.
Leatherface- Mush. A punk album I struggled with at first because I was younger and the recording sounded too rough for my ears but once it made sense it was just the best punk I've ever heard with the best lyrics I'd heard.
Captain Beyond - s/t album. Just fantastic hard rock from the era of good tone.
John Zorn - Lucifer. An excellent break from western style music but still familiar because it sounds melodic. Just excellent instrumentation.
Gustav Holst - The Planets. Would make a good Star Wars soundtrack if they didn't already have one. Not keen on classical music but when I find some I like then I really like it.

Hurt by Johny Cash for so many reasons not least it is unsurpassed for simplistic pared down brilliance. Every word he sings is from the deepest places of his complex genius heart. And the fact that he was dying and felt the need to get down his feelings and some last songs before he died reminds us that we play the game right on until full time and extra time if we are granted it. It is widely regarded as his epitaph.

Cry every time I hear it and with goose bumps. Every time.

That kinda reads like it is his song.

well he certainly made it his own ......

When Trent Reznor was asked if Cash could cover his song, Reznor said he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." He became a fan of Cash's version, however, once he saw the music video.

“ I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure.

Just listened to the original - like it a different feel to JC's - more restrained.

Yeah, I think it's better and more poweful than the original, as Cash has a more powerful and authorative voice and has certainly lived the life that the lyrics look back upon, but Reznor should still be acknowledged as the creator

My favourite at the moment is Evanescence Fallen. I love all the tracks, especially this one

I love the sound and the words. It is hard to say exactly why. Part of it is that I heard a girl singing this and she did so with such amazing emotion, she had tears in her eyes as she sang.

Michael Henderson... Solid

Fuck arse funked up thump bass led instrumental simple rhythmic drums, crunching noisy screeching guitar all played by Henderson, amazed no one has sampled it... Nearly 40 years old... Still love it.. Genius

This guy was Stevie Wonders bass player at 18, Miles Davis came along and stole him. One of the greatest bass players ever.

Last edited:
Michael Henderson... Solid

Fuck arse funked up thump bass led instrumental simple rhythmic drums, crunching noisy screeching guitar all played by Henderson, amazed no one has sampled it... Nearly 40 years old... Still love it.. Genius
Stacy Kidd - Let love Enter:

Stacy Kidd - Let love Enter:

love that track... but from Henderson. the bass line on Solid the title track from album is my fave, I have never heard it sampled... I use to Dj as a teenager
Henderson did a gig with Norman Connors last month burying the hatchet after Connors stitched him up on You are my Starship from 1976.

Mantovani and His Orchestra - Charmaine

This is one that feels like it should have been passed down through generations to me and somehow it hasn't, so it's not one of those sentimental things that remind me of a person or a particular thing.

I could have picked something that I had experienced, but this feels more like something that isn't quite there anymore, never really was there, but you can still feel that it has gone and as such feels almost liminal.

So it's appropriate for its time, when so much had been lost, without it feeling like good old days music, it makes it feel timeless. It's like the old building you walk past everyday without ever noticing, a walk in a field, or the reception area of a futuristic office block. Like old air!

I've been trying to post on this thread ever since I joined... is it a New Order, or a Clash? Wait, perhaps something by 4 Hero, there again, got to be Bowie surely?! What about a 'Summer of Love' house classic, or one of many amazing hardcore tunes I've come up to at 2am in the morning?! :hmm: :mad: :confused:

It's so difficult.

I think I've decided it's this though...

1fu0kn.jpg

I first heard Mother of the Future in the 90s, blasting out from somewhere on a glorious summers day, but it wasn't until 10 years later that I found out the version it actually was - which turned out to be by Carlos Garnett on the Black Love LP.

Not long after I tracked down a copy in this little record shop in Camden (on the corner of one of the back streets of Camden High Street - to this day not sure what the place was called?). I still remember the moment as the guy behind the counter played it just to be sure it's the one I wanted. And if I wasn't already excited enough, I discovered for the first time the track Banks of the Nile also on the album.

Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

This album it means a new ''season'' for me! Before this record my influences composed from heavier style.
The first listening it was disappointing. And i said:''Ι wasted my money.'' When i listened this album carefully,
stay in my CD player for 3 months!!!
After,i bought all discography of Pink Floyd.
And David Gilmour he was a reason that i started guitar lessons.

'Wrong', Depeche Mode. It could have been written for me and yet if you knew me you wouldn't believe it.

My favourite at the moment is Evanescence Fallen. I love all the tracks, especially this one

I love the sound and the words. It is hard to say exactly why. Part of it is that I heard a girl singing this and she did so with such amazing emotion, she had tears in her eyes as she sang.

srsly ? :confused:

Hurt by Johny Cash for so many reasons not least it is unsurpassed for simplistic pared down brilliance. Every word he sings is from the deepest places of his complex genius heart. And the fact that he was dying and felt the need to get down his feelings and some last songs before he died reminds us that we play the game right on until full time and extra time if we are granted it. It is widely regarded as his epitaph.

Cry every time I hear it and with goose bumps. Every time.

You may know this, but I still want to mention it. Hurt is originally by Nine Inch Nails. Johny Cash's version sounds way better though

This is a real oldie, from 1972, which strangely enough they play on the local radio station here in rural France, and which has some excellent advice:

Creep by Wagner because it is a wonderful song - and the joke that was Wagner on the X-Factor who was usually rubbish really brought off the song as he was singing about himself. Cut through the bollocks about the X Factor as well.

Sun Ra - Space is the Place.

Resistance. Subversion. Destruction. Pining for an irrevocable futurity. Need I say more?

Punk... Well. It was fantastic raw music. However, certainly not how me and many I knew expressed (and continue to express) opposition to conditions that will always remain antagonistic to our existence.

Last edited:
Röyksopp - The Inevitable End

If I had to sum this album up in one word it would be "beautiful".

Such joy, melancholy and synthetic sounds that tracks cover the full spectrum of human emotions.

Without any doubt, for me, album of 2014 and completely recommended.

"Skulls" is the first track on the album and is such a powerful wow track.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom