Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your favourite easy soup!

Fry mushrooms and garlic till they are nicely sautéed, in butter. About 200g and two cloves of garlic per person.

Add equal parts coconut milk and veg stock about 100ml per person. Add some dried lemograss.

Bring to simmer.

Before serving add basil and lime juice.

Await amazing praise from guests about this is singularly the nicest soup they've ever tasted and have to have the recipe. Keep stum about what a piece of piss it actually is.

Just to hijack this thread but I have got a very large sack full of parsnips that need using up. Has anybody got/ done a parsnip soup recipe they could recommend please?

Yes! Spicy parsnip as boohoo says! Although Delia goes one further and adds grated apple to a cooked curried parsnip soup afterwards too, which I really like (although I've never been arsed to make the crisps to go with it)....http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/curried-parsnip-and-apple-soup-with-parsnip-crisps.html

I made this soup the other night.

Fry spring onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in sesame oil
Add stock (think it was chicken stock, it came from my freezer :hmm:), rice vinegar and probably soy sauce if you want it saltier
Add a handful of beansprouts and a few langoustine/big prawns/whatever

Literally takes minutes. I'm going to do the same tonight with meatballs (turkey mince, garlic, ginger, chilli) instead of langs and maybe miso soup powder :)

Today I chopped a couple of spring onions and chilis. Fried them lightly in sunflower oil with some five spice, tossed in some frozen mixed veg, and then a little dark soy sauce. Added some boiling water from the kettle, opened a 20p pack of chili noodles from Low Price over the road, mixed in the flavouring then gave the noodles 3 minutes in the soup.

Spicy vegetable noodle soup. Effing ace. Took just over 8 minutes in total.

I made this soup the other night.

Fry spring onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in sesame oil
Add stock (think it was chicken stock, it came from my freezer :hmm:), rice vinegar and probably soy sauce if you want it saltier
Add a handful of beansprouts and a few langoustine/big prawns/whatever

Literally takes minutes. I'm going to do the same tonight with meatballs (turkey mince, garlic, ginger, chilli) instead of langs and maybe miso soup powder :)
That's gorgeous! No noodles though?

Just to hijack this thread but I have got a very large sack full of parsnips that need using up. Has anybody got/ done a parsnip soup recipe they could recommend please?

Not soup but you can make parsnip crisps. It's the only way I'll eat parsnips :D They need to be thinly sliced imo but if you like parsnip that probably doesn't matter.

Not soup but you can make parsnip crisps. It's the only way I'll eat parsnips :D They need to be thinly sliced imo but if you like parsnip that probably doesn't matter.

I tried making these the other week but they came out either very soggy and limp or burnt to a charcoaled crumbly mess. I can't seem to get the right balance. How did you do yours, if you don't mind me asking? Ta

cauliflower and broccolli is a good soup.

break off the florets, then chop the stems. add diced potato, caramelised onion, garlic, bit of milk and some veggie stock, ground pepper and herbs to taste.

when it's done, blend small quantities in a liquidiser to make it extra creamy.

Delicious!

This soup is amazing, honestly.

Potatoes (I'd say 2lb/1k)
Cabbage (half the weight of potatoes.)
100g chorizo
tbs paprika
10tbs olive oil
one ham and one veg stock cube.

chop the chorizo and gently fry in the oil and a tablespoon of paprika for 6-8 minutes. (We want the flavours in the oil.)

Half then thinly slice the potatoes (no need to peel them if they are decent), give them a proper rinse then boil.
Cut up and add the cabbage, put in the 2 stock cubes and a couple of teaspoons of salt, plenty of pepper.

After 10 minutes pour in the chorizo and all of the oil in the frying pan. Finish cooking the potatoes.

This soup is best if it is allowed to cool completely then heated up again (or on the 2nd day).

They're my stock two quick soup faves I'm afraid. Outside of that I'm pushing the definition of 'easy' a little too much. Love congee and wonton soup too, along with welcoming pots of minestrone and pistou, but they're a bit more involved.

On the plus side, that pork noodle soup is a fine standby for a quick supper, is easily modified and is a huge fave in our house. Giant bowls of healthy(ish) tasting slurp.

Sounds yum - will be doing that one.

We have quite a bit of soup in this house - perfect for when you've a young child and need to cook something quick and easy that's hard to get wrong. Sorry no recipes - I tend to throw bits together and hope for the best. This year my plan is to become a better cook, rather than a slapdash usually-turns-out-ok one.

So, let's have your minestrone recipe Tarranau :)

I made the pea and mint based on one of the recipes Queen of Goths put up. Was very nice... considering I'm not that keen on peas! :D

Roasted veggies and basil soup.

Put olive oil in an oven tray wait for it to heat up then add garlic, red peppers, red onions and diced tomatoes after 10 mins add a tin of chopped tomatoes cook for a further 10 mins. Put the mixture in a sauce pan add fresh basil (torn, not chopped) , seasoning and chilli (scotch bonnet for me) cook for a further 5 mins then put in a food processor and blend.
I sometimes add king prawn to the soup or chicken for my son.

Having another bowlful of your lentil soup tonight, boohoo. It's become a favourite round here when I want something tasty but can't be arsed to cook properly. :)

Parsnip and apple soup is lovely - about 1/4 weight of green sharp apples to parsnips, serve with sour cream.

My favourite is lentil soup that my boyfriend makes = no effort from me! Although, I have some mint to use up so maybe I'll try that pea and mint soup for tomorrow's lunch :cool:

This is a kind of spicy roast tomato soup that I made last night - really quick and cheap.

Put about 5 medium sized tomatoes, a quartered onion, a few garlic cloves and a courgette (all unpeeled) into a dry frying pan or wok on a high heat, turning them until they're blackened and soft on the inside. The garlic takes a lot less time than the rest, obviously. Take them all out and peel the onion and garlic, put the whole lot in a blender. Heat some olive oil and a rehydrated chipotle or whatever chilli you like. Chuck the pureed veg in, add seasoning including sugar and cook for a little while - I guess 5 mins - thinning with stock if you need to.

This is a kind of spicy roast tomato soup that I made last night - really quick and cheap.

Put about 5 medium sized tomatoes, a quartered onion, a few garlic cloves and a courgette (all unpeeled) into a dry frying pan or wok on a high heat, turning them until they're blackened and soft on the inside. The garlic takes a lot less time than the rest, obviously. Take them all out and peel the onion and garlic, put the whole lot in a blender. Heat some olive oil and a rehydrated chipotle or whatever chilli you like. Chuck the pureed veg in, add seasoning including sugar and cook for a little while - I guess 5 mins - thinning with stock if you need to.

mmmm, I'm going to make some roasted tomato and garlic soup right now! YUM.

I just made a nice Leek, Potato and Rosemary soup... I don't do measurements:

Nuff pots - Maybe 6 medium sizers
Nuff Leek - 3 bigguns
Garlic - 4 big cloves
Rosemary - 2/3 storks worth, fine chopped
Veg stock cube
Salt + Pepper... Nuff

Don't know if it's my favourite... But it's bloody lush!! :) :cool: :)

I made a quick tomato and mascarpone today:
Fry a red onion, add a little garlic, add a can of chopped tomatoes, 1/2 pint of veggie stock, blitz and add mascarpone then season and serve.

My mum makes an amazing Chorizo soup, with a tin of tomatoes, red pepper, onions, chopped chorizo and tiny pasta. It's delicious.

This cold and drear weather demands a revival of this thread.

I've just put one onion, three sticks of celery and a couple of veg stock cubes in water and cooked up. Then I added a load of watercress and spinach, simmered for a couple of minutes, added a knob of butter and ground black pepper and shoved a stick blender in the pot. Bloody lovely and fresh and green so I can kid myself Spring has arrived.

God, it's so good. I've just had another bowlful. You can make just about anything into a really good soup with a stick blender. Leftovers, even. The only thing that's helpful to have is good quality stock cubes. Kallo brand are very good.

carrots, parsnips, butternut squash. peel, cut up, simmer, blend. add some veggie stock, add some orange juice.you can do something similar with worcestershire sauce instead of OJ.

in a slow cooker, some cut up bacon and a tin of toms, some mixed herbs, and paprica, preferably smoked. simmer for a couple of hours. add some lentils simmer for another hour, add a cup of rice and some thyme and oregano (or mixed herbs if that's what you have), simmer until cooked.

throw a head of cut of brocoli and a cut onion into a pan.add veg stock and water and simmer. blend. add some blue cheese.

cut up a couple of leeks and onions. fry very slowly. add water, veg stock and some potato. simmer. mash up a bit.

heaps of good recipes so far.

im a fan of whatever is going on special cheap or in season.

roast it all in hot oven to caramelise sugars with what ever spices i feel like. cumin coriander onion garlic chili salt pepper and so on.
put in pot bring to boil with good quality stock homemade prefered.
blend the lot. may add spring onion and bacon bits if desired for texture. done.

standard base soup - equal volume of onions and potatoes sauteed then cooked until soft with stock, add salt/pepper/spices to taste.
Depending on availability (and time available!)
the other ingrendients can be some combinations of one or more from tomatoes, brassicas, mushrooms, leeks, parsnips, or whatever is about....
If meat needed then ham, bacon, chicken.
Sometimes it will get blended until very smooth, sometimes not!

Most of those will freeze for latter consumption.......

oh, I always pepper tomatoes as I cook them, and almost brown them (and onions) for soups

Back
Top Bottom