Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your favourite easy soup!

boohoo

No.
Spicy Lentil Soup - I just throw it all in and hope for the best. For the meaties, you can add Bacon. I don't even blend it! It's also meant to be a good healthy option!

lb dried red lentils (the split orange-red ones)

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground turmeric

1 tin (14 oz) plum tomatoes

2 pints vegetable stock

2 medium onions chopped

1 handful fresh coriander

Cook all the ingredients except the coriander together in a pressure cooker for half an hour (or boil until soft). Chop the coriander and add to the cooked mixture then roughly blend in a liquidiser.

I recently tried this recipe that sojourner posted and it's a damn good soup, it's also piss easy - I mean most soups are easy but this is even less effort than most:

sojourner said:
Egyptian Lentil Soup

Ingredients

2 Onions
4 tbsp Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Ground coriander
250g Split red lentils
1.5 litres Veg stock
Lemon juice (to taste)

Method

1. Chop onions and fry in olive oil until soft and just beginning to colour. Stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander. Rinse lentils and add with the stock. Bring to the boil and remove any scum that appears on the surface. Simmer for 30–40 minutes, or until the lentils have disintegrated.
2. Taste and season the soup. Add the lemon juice before serving (a bit at a time until it’s to your tastes).

I also make carrot based soup quite frequently, I ask the OH to get a couple of carrots for a recipe and he comes home with a bag of the things so they end up as soup:

Ingredients:
About a lb of carrots
1 or 2 leeks
Couple of sticks of celery
A large onion
Thyme & bay leaves

Method:
Chop the veg and saute it for a bit, add a bunch of thyme and a couple of bay leaves and seasoning, then add a couple of pints of water or stock and simmer until everything is soft, remove the bunch of thyme and whatever is left of the bay leaves and stick everything else in the blender when cool, check the seasoning and adjust to taste when reheating. Suitable for freezing.

Spicy Lentil Soup - I just throw it all in and hope for the best. For the meaties, you can add Bacon. I don't even blend it! It's also meant to be a good healthy option!

lb dried red lentils (the split orange-red ones)

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground turmeric

1 tin (14 oz) plum tomatoes

2 pints vegetable stock

2 medium onions chopped

1 handful fresh coriander

Cook all the ingredients except the coriander together in a pressure cooker for half an hour (or boil until soft). Chop the coriander and add to the cooked mixture then roughly blend in a liquidiser.

You forgot garlic and chili, apart from that it's pretty much the way I make it too. Garlic soup is supposed to be nom and dead easy.

Root veg soup:

Fry onions and garlic and chilies. Add as much stock as you want/need along with cubed potatoes, carrots, swedes and whatever other root veg you like. Throw in some ginger if you've got it. Simmer until veg is soft enough for your liking, serve with fresh buttered bread.

So cheap it's almost free and proper very very healthy. And easy.

Really quick and fairly cheap: Tomato and Orange soup.

Do the usual softened onion in olive oil for the base. Add a tin of tomatoes and a third of a mug of freshly squeezed orange juice. (Buy a carton rather than use oranges). Simmer until all is mixed. Push it through a sieve and then reheat it. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust quantities of the ingredients to suit yourself.

Chicken and sweetcorn soup. Take fresh chicken stock (or boil up a couple of chicken quarters), add cans of creamed style corn (or blend a 'normal' can or two) and add soy and shredded chicken. Swirl in a broken egg towards the end of heating, whisking with a fork - this thickens the soup and adds distinctive white strands.

Add thinly sliced spring onions, a swirl of soy and a drop of sesame oil (optional) to finish. It's that easy.

Needs the sweetcorn in that one for sweetness really. How's about a hot and sour pork noodle soup. Chicken stock, about three spoons of soy to each spoon of rice vinegar.

Prepare noodles and put to side while stock cooking. Fry garlic and then minced pork until brown on fierce heat - you want the garlic to be on the cusp of burning, almost nutty in flavour, before adding the pork. Assemble noodles in bowl, topped with minced pork, garnish with lots of coriander, shredded spring onion and finely chopped chilli, ladle over hot stock. Done.

I like a nice easy creamy spinach soup, and then five minutes before turning the heat off throw in a load of chopped smoked salmon.

garlic, onions, spinach, stock, puree, add cream, then the salmon.

They're my stock two quick soup faves I'm afraid. Outside of that I'm pushing the definition of 'easy' a little too much. Love congee and wonton soup too, along with welcoming pots of minestrone and pistou, but they're a bit more involved.

On the plus side, that pork noodle soup is a fine standby for a quick supper, is easily modified and is a huge fave in our house. Giant bowls of healthy(ish) tasting slurp.

Tomato. Open can, pour in pan and bring to boil.

If I'm feeling adventurous I'd go for french onion though. Chop three large onions and brown in the bottom of a large deep pan, the add some sugar to caramelize. Next pour in a pint on chicken or vegetable stock and add a couple of large glasses of white wine. ;)
Finally season and simmer for about 45 minutes. Serve with baked slices of french bread, rubbed in garlic and covered in gruyere cheese.

Leek and Potato.

Leek - sliced
Potato - cubed
Onion - sliced
Stock (I use chicken)
Double cream
Thyme

Fry the onion, leeks, potato in some veg oil for about 5 mins. Add stock, Thyme, bring to boil and season and then let it simmer till veg is soft. Blend with a hand blender and add cream. Done!

I like pea soup

fry onion, add stock, frozen peas, whizz it add creme fraiche if you want, add fried pancetta too post whizzing if you want.

Lentil soup needs dried mint in it :hmm:

The thing is boohoo all soups are dead easy. Chicken soup is probably my fave though.

This is my minestrone:

onions, cumin seeds, chopped chillis and garlic - sweat in olive oil
add leeks, cabbage and carrots in moderation - sweat some more
add a wee bit of stock
add tinned tomatos, mushrooms, boiling water, a few frozen peas, broken spaghetti and lots of paprika
cook till the pasta is done
serve with parmesan

French onion. buy a sack of onions for 1.50 et voila as exactly as Chester says
Yeah nice one Chester. My mother does French onion soup with a similar recipe but uses large amounts of cognac and it smells wonderful.

Im not a fan of soup, but Id countenance eating this one.

I recently tried this recipe that sojourner posted and it's a damn good soup, it's also piss easy - I mean most soups are easy but this is even less effort than most:

Glad you enjoyed it - it's the one I was going to post when I saw this thread :D The lemon juice just makes it, eh? :cool:

Yum - these look fab! I shall have a go at some of them over the next few weeks. I like a good carrot and coriander soup! That's an easy win!

no other recipes? No other favourite soups? Nothing folks, nothing???? *weeps into lentil soup*

I don't do recipes. I throw things into a pot and let them boil, then add more seasoning/ stock/ tomato puree/ salsa sauce etc. til I think it tastes how I want it to.
My soups always have garlic, herbs and spinach in them though, whether it's lentil or beef & tomato.

Just to hijack this thread but I have got a very large sack full of parsnips that need using up. Has anybody got/ done a parsnip soup recipe they could recommend please?

But really, you just need to fry an onion gently, add some chopped parsnip and stock and blend. Add seasoning plus anything else you fancy - cumin-type spices work well, as does apple. Or just add a dash of cream - cream makes any soup delicious.

Back
Top Bottom