Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your Best Whole Chicken Recipes

That is a nice touch.:cool:

I use the following recipe for a whole bird and it's all stuff that you can get in your local spice gaff in one hit, in fact I think you can get most of this in the supermarket now except the Kashmiri chilli powder. It's this that sets it apart for my enslaved tasters now though because it adds that slow burn chilli addictiveness to the tandoori tang.

1/4 jar of minced ginger.
1/2 jar of minced garlic.
2 whole lemons juiced.
About 300 ml of decent full fat yogurt
At least 100 grams of Rajah Tandoori Masala
and about 50 grams of good Kashmiri chilli powder
50 grams of Dunn Rivers all porpoise seasoning. Make sure you get the one with the marine mammal in.
2 grated onions red or brown

Chuck it all in Brenda the blender and let it sweat whilst you prepare your bird.

Get the biggest fattest bird you can find. ;) There's no room for skinny little poisons with this recipe. It's all about the curves.

Spatchcock the chicken or half it and remove all the skin. Deeply score the meat to the bone all over with a sharp knife to get those nice gaps for the spice to get into.

Smother the sticky stuff all over yer bird and wrap it in cling fillum or chuck it in a plastic bag and allow it to marinate as long as you can (I normally do this in the morning and leave it in the fridge until i get home).

Then whack it in tray with a tin foil hat on in a low oven for as long as time allows (I normally aim for about 2-3 hours min on about 90-100) and then turn it up to 190-210 35 mins or so before serving. Baste it as she blows and eventually all the juices will go into the meat and you will be left with a proper tasty coating of dry spice on succulent meat that you can just suck off the bone.

This is something that both my wife's kids and mine request on a regular basis when we chow. I'd claim all the kudos but I learnt this when I worked in a kebab shop when I was a student. :D

It's a full days prep and cook but I have this down to about an hours worth of actual work now and it's a family favourite that is ever-present even if we're having chilli, curry, BBQ or Haggis.
Ok, you win. I'll do this tomorrow and take pictures.

I use the following recipe for a whole bird and it's all stuff that you can get in your local spice gaff in one hit, in fact I think you can get most of this in the supermarket now except the Kashmiri chilli powder. It's this that sets it apart for my enslaved tasters now though because it adds that slow burn chilli addictiveness to the tandoori tang.

2 whole lemons juiced.
50 grams of Dunn Rivers all porpoise seasoning. Make sure you get the one with the marine mammal in.

Chuck it all in Brenda the blender and let it sweat whilst you prepare your bird.

Get the biggest fattest bird you can find. ;) There's no room for skinny little poisons with this recipe. It's all about the curves.

Spatchcock the chicken or half it and remove all the skin. Deeply score the meat to the bone all over with a sharp knife to get those nice gaps for the spice to get into.

Smother the sticky stuff all over yer bird and wrap it in cling fillum or chuck it in a plastic bag and allow it to marinate as long as you can (I normally do this in the morning and leave it in the fridge until i get home).

Then whack it in tray with a tin foil hat on in a low oven for as long as time allows (I normally aim for about 2-3 hours min on about 90-100) and then turn it up to 190-210 35 mins or so before serving. Baste it as she blows and eventually all the juices will go into the meat and you will be left with a proper tasty coating of dry spice on succulent meat that you can just suck off the bone.

This is something that both my wife's kids and mine request on a regular basis when we chow. I'd claim all the kudos but I learnt this when I worked in a kebab shop when I was a student. :D

It's a full days prep and cook but I have this down to about an hours worth of actual work now and it's a family favourite that is ever-present even if we're having chilli, curry, BBQ or Haggis.

This was so on my list to do this year on a BBQ, but to busy and shit weather. Maybe I'll just have to do one in the rain and dark just because....

This is delicious . Peruvian Pollo a la Brasa, The chicken is marinated in olive oil, lime juice, garlic and spices under the skin its best imo on a rottiserie but I've done it in the oven and its been good . There is an accompanying green sauce, which made from sour cream , mayonaise , corriander leaf and jalapeño peppers which is the dogs bollocks .

peruvian-chicken-1.jpg

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/peruvian-style-roast-chicken-with-green-sauce.html

This also sounds really good.

2 whole lemons juiced.

That's similar to what I make but instead of the indian spices I use harissa and lots of black pepper for the marinade then put five or so star anise in the tray along with the lemon halves and a bulb of garlic.

The one where you take all the bones out prior to roasting, it's a faff but worth it. Gotta be handy with a blade. utoob has instructions. Looks great and is a show off dish.

Fucking cane it with 2 fucktons of garlic, lemon( grated rind and juice) and fresh thyme.Add a glass of white wine if you like , then slow roast for about 2 and a half hours.Throw some par boiled decent potatoes in for the last hour or so or serve with mash and all that banging juice/ gravy. Did this last sunday . Fucking beautiful.

Why aren’t you on the telly ?

Fucking cane it with 2 fucktons of garlic, lemon( grated rind and juice) and fresh thyme.Add a glass of white wine if you like , then slow roast for about 2 and a half hours.Throw some par boiled decent potatoes in for the last hour or so or serve with mash and all that banging juice/ gravy. Did this last sunday . Fucking beautiful.
I am intrigued by your ideas, and interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

coq au vin monsieur!

Mrs. Fire makes a good one but I don't think she has a recipe as such.

Break the chicken up, brown off the skin with onions garlic etc., wine, button mushrooms....you know the drill.

I love poached chicken. Glass of wine, loads of garlic and herbs, any veg you've got and fill it up with water. 2 hours. With rice and English mustard for me. I've done it with ricard and fennel, that was lovely.

I only have one whole chicken recipe. Whap a lemon and some garlic and thyme up it and slap some olive oil and a bit of seasoning on outside. Normally have it with roasted spuds and veg, usually those tiny pearl spuds and red onion, carrot, some squash in fingers/cubes, bit of aubergine, stuff like that. It's alright.

I love poached chicken. Glass of wine, loads of garlic and herbs, any veg you've got and fill it up with water. 2 hours. With rice and English mustard for me. I've done it with ricard and fennel, that was lovely.
Poached chicken is great. I did it years ago and not sure why I don't do it more often :hmm:

Oh hang on. It is because I don't have have a big pan :facepalm: last time I got a small bird and did it in the slow cooker.

Poached chicken is great. I did it years ago and not sure why I don't do it more often :hmm:

Oh hang on. It is because I don't have have a big pan :facepalm: last time I got a small bird and did it in the slow cooker.
what was that recipe for poached chicken you told me when we met, when you'd really poached a chicken from a farm?

Back
Top Bottom