Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

I'm moving into Brixton Square soon with my girlfriend (who is black). She wants to know if she will be the only black person in the village?

My Black British friend who grew up in Brixton would reckon she will be in the minority in the Village.

Tony, there are hardly any universal benefits. There's Child Benefit and the State Pension, Winter Fuel Allowance for the over 65s/68s, and a couple more. That's it

Did you ever bother to differentiate between opposition to removal of Child Benefit per se and the deliberate erosion of the principle of universality? People don't appear to realise that the next step may well be to (purely because it's the greatest cost to the Treasury) progressively limit the State Pension until it's only available to a residual number of claimants.

That £500 per week includes any Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, if claimable. If that family of, lets say 2 adults and 2 kids, is in a 3-bedroom Housing Association dwelling in the south-east, that's 50-60% of their total figure gone in rent. Council tax for a 3-bed (so band C or above) in the southeast is going to run to £1000-1200 a years, so that's another £20-25 a week gone, and what you're left with is just enough to keep the wolf from the door if you don't have any emergencies. If any of your white goods break down, you're donalded.

Many of us paid in on the premise that NI was, you know, insurance! That if the worst happened, we had something to fall back on. I have a sense of entitlement purely because the state, well into the '90s, took my money and told me I was entitled to certain things because they were taking my money.

Your detailed and reasoned responses are refreshing compared to some people on this board!

Agreed re: your last point. I'm 30 and I've worked without a break since finishing uni. If I lost my job I'd claim every benefit possible, without shame as I've earned it. But I do not expect to receive thing such as child benefit / winter fuel payments whilst I have a decent income.

I've heard those numbers re: the benefits cap before. It all comes down to housing costs in my mind. In the South, housing is too expensive. It is a pity the government isn't attempting to increase the supply of housing.

The long-term unemployed aren't a massive issue.

But given the finite resources that the state has, the welfare state is now too big. Universal benefits were a mistake and it is good they are being gradually rolled back.

What does "too big" mean, though?
Too big to be affordable?
Too big for your liking?
Too big to be able to operate efficiently?
What?

As for "finite resources", that's not exactly a new problem, and yet, for example, there was no wish or requirement to demolish the principle of universality for around 50 years post-Beveridge. "Finite resources" are an excuse to shift welfare out of public hands into private, thereby minimising expenditure "at the faucet" of public need, and maximising it as private profit.

You're great at trotting out the soft-right tropes about the welfare state. The problem is that few of them play beyond the circle of believers they're written for. They don't stand up to serious analysis.

I have lived in Brixton for years. I always thought it was a desirable place to live. I do not need/ never have needed Brixton to be validated by anyone else.

Your opinion on if Brixton is desirable or not is obviously biased because you live here for so long, and know it well. The unknown is always scary, and to a lot of people (especially following the riots), Brixton, Peckham and other areas of south london have a reputation as being unsafe and undesirable. Maybe I can see that more clearly than you considering that I only moved here last year, and I will admit that this was my attitude towards the area before, and now I love it.

You mention East End. Like Brixton the issue is not change but the fact that in near future it will be simply unaffordable for new people to come to parts of London unless they are well off.

So my criticism of what is happening to London is that its gradually becoming a playground for the well off.

We live in the capital city, it's obviously going to be expensive. Like with every issue, instead of looking at the governments and the way they choose to run the country, we blame other people be it based on race, wealth or social background. The point I was originally making is that who are you or anyone else to decide who can move into a certain area or not, just because you've lived there for a certain period of time.

If someone turned around and said that their criticism of London is that its gradually becoming a playground for the poor, would it be regarded as an appropriate or reasonable comment to make? No probably not. It seems like a slightly skewed attitude to blame the well off for wanting to live in a desirable place and having the money to do so. In an ideal world it wouldn't be like that, but that's how our economy works and that isn't the fault of any group of people - hipsters/yuppies/the wealthy/the poor/blacks/whites/asians/dogs/cats/flamingos. Seems like everyone just wants someone to blame.

The blame is being put solely on hipsters?

I think you need to look up my posts. I post up here about housing/ "regeneration" etc. Among other topics.

You are making a generalization.

I remember the 70s and 80s. Racism was more than saying some unkind words about "hipsters". You cannot make an equivalence between the two. Racism is about something someone cannot help- the colour of there skin. Race is not the same as lifestyle and fashion choices.

I think your misreading what I was trying to say - I was using hipsters as an example. People choose their religion but can still be discriminated against because of it. I don't think any form of prejudice or discrimination is justified, its just a gateway to bigger and worse things.

Your detailed and reasoned responses are refreshing compared to some people on this board!

Agreed re: your last point. I'm 30 and I've worked without a break since finishing uni. If I lost my job I'd claim every benefit possible, without shame as I've earned it. But I do not expect to receive thing such as child benefit / winter fuel payments whilst I have a decent income.

I've heard those numbers re: the benefits cap before. It all comes down to housing costs in my mind. In the South, housing is too expensive. It is a pity the government isn't attempting to increase the supply of housing.

I've said it before, and I'll doubtless say it again until people are heartily sick of hearing it, but neither this government nor a Labour government or any form of coalition government can or will increase the housing supply by a volume significant enough to lower rental and purchase prices. To do so would undermine one of the crutches our limping economy is relying on to keep our recession moving on a plateau rather than downhill.

What does "too big" mean, though?
Too big to be affordable?
Too big for your liking?
Too big to be able to operate efficiently?
What?

As for "finite resources", that's not exactly a new problem, and yet, for example, there was no wish or requirement to demolish the principle of universality for around 50 years post-Beveridge. "Finite resources" are an excuse to shift welfare out of public hands into private, thereby minimising expenditure "at the faucet" of public need, and maximising it as private profit.

You're great at trotting out the soft-right tropes about the welfare state. The problem is that few of them play beyond the circle of believers they're written for. They don't stand up to serious analysis.

Too big to be affordable.

Gordon Brown was running large deficits during a time of good economic growth and strong tax receipts. Much of this was due to massive expansion of the state (including the welfare state).

State support should always be there. But there isn't an endless pot of money to fund everything that people want. Focusing on the essentials is key.

If someone turned around and said that their criticism of London is that its gradually becoming a playground for the poor, would it be regarded as an appropriate or reasonable comment to make?

because it would have very different connotations to saying an area is a playground for the rich. london IS a playground for the rich, and the poor suffer. if you think that's prejudiced then you need to have a work with yourself.

i do agree that blaming the hipsters and yuppies is blaming a symptom, not a cause. it might seem odd to hear me say that, seeing as i'm quite unreasonably rude about those elements of my fellow man. However, racists and muggers are symptoms of capitalism as well and i'm pretty disdainful about them too.

I've said it beofre, and I'll doubtless say it again until people are heartily sick of hearing it, but neither this government nor a Labour government or any form of coalition government can or will increase the housing supply by a volume significant enough to lower rental and purchase prices. To do so would undermine one of the crutches our limping economy is relying on to keep our recession moving on a plateau rather than downhill.

agreed. a rapid 30% fall in residential property values would crush our banks.

but people need to realise that a house is a place to live. not an investment.

a gradual decline or long term stagnation in house prices would be fantastic news.

it will be interesting to see what the reductions in housing benefit does to rents / house prices. removing a floor to the market should force prices down.

nSbPGR4.jpg

Too big to be affordable.

It isn't, though. It only appears unaffordable because costs are measured against receipts accepted. Police receipts better (i.e. harden the dividing line between tax avoidance and tax evasion, and then act ruthlessly with those who cross the line) and things are no longer unaffordable. Hartnett alone knocked the Exchequer for about £4 billion (split it over the decade the screw was running and you've got £400 million a year) from a single corporate taxpayer. Even if we use the Treasury's own £45 billion a year figure of 2011, that's a fair degree of "affordability" escaping for ideological reasons (one of which is, of course, the residualisation of the "welfare state").

Gordon Brown was running large deficits during a time of good economic growth and strong tax receipts. Much of this was due to massive expansion of the state (including the welfare state).

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Brown was running up those deficits on sound independent advice. "It's fine to go into the red at this stage of the economic cycle, Chancellor!". Neither Brown nor those consultants and economists who gave him such advice saw "the credit crunch" coming.
As for "expansion of the welfare state", the only expansion was a tax credit system that replaced other methods of redistribution and enhanced uptake, all budgeted for anyway. Cost expansion mainly resided in the infrastructure programmes for the NHS and DfE, much of which was undertaken through the ridiculously cost-ineffective PFI and PPP programmes.

State support should always be there. But there isn't an endless pot of money to fund everything that people want. Focusing on the essentials is key.

Oh my, my favourite cliché, the one about the "endless pot of money"! :D
We're all well aware that funding is limited. It's writ large on our lives. We also know that funding is being progressively limited at source for ideological reasons, not because the limited resources of the Treasury are anywhere near exhaustion!

it will be interesting to see what the reductions in housing benefit does to rents / house prices. removing a floor to the market should force prices down.

It would be interesting to see mass evictions and homelessness would it not?

It would be interesting to see mass evictions and homelessness would it not?
I've already taken in people who can't afford to live in rented places in London any more....and I've had a phone call tonight already asking for a bed for the night on my sofa. I'm already living in interesting times.

I've already taken in people who can't afford to live in rented places in London any more....and I've had a phone call tonight already asking for a bed for the night on my sofa. I'm already living in interesting times.

Not liking.

agreed. a rapid 30% fall in residential property values would crush our banks.

but people need to realise that a house is a place to live. not an investment.

a gradual decline or long term stagnation in house prices would be fantastic news.

It should force prices down, all things being equal, but the problem is that all things aren't equal. For example, the MASSIVE excess of demand over housing supply in Greater London alone exerts enough of an upward pressure on prices that the removal of your floor is unlikely to work to do more than put prices on hold for a small amount of time, and as we're moving into "buying season" in a couple of months, it may not even do that.

It isn't, though. It only appears unaffordable because costs are measured against receipts accepted. Police receipts better (i.e. harden the dividing line between tax avoidance and tax evasion, and then act ruthlessly with those who cross the line) and things are no longer unaffordable. Hartnett alone knocked the Exchequer for about £4 billion (split it over the decade the screw was running and you've got £400 million a year) from a single corporate taxpayer. Even if we use the Treasury's own £45 billion a year figure of 2011, that's a fair degree of "affordability" escaping for ideological reasons (one of which is, of course, the residualisation of the "welfare state").

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Brown was running up those deficits on sound independent advice. "It's fine to go into the red at this stage of the economic cycle, Chancellor!". Neither Brown nor those consultants and economists who gave him such advice saw "the credit crunch" coming.
As for "expansion of the welfare state", the only expansion was a tax credit system that replaced other methods of redistribution and enhanced uptake, all budgeted for anyway. Cost expansion mainly resided in the infrastructure programmes for the NHS and DfE, much of which was undertaken through the ridiculously cost-ineffective PFI and PPP programmes.

Oh my, my favourite cliché, the one about the "endless pot of money"! :D
We're all well aware that funding is limited. It's writ large on our lives. We also know that funding is being progressively limited at source for ideological reasons, not because the limited resources of the Treasury are anywhere near exhaustion!

1) In this age of globalisation a competitive tax system is key. We need to attract business to the UK. Lower corporate taxes would be a good thing as it would create jobs.

2) Agreed. Brown made bad decisions and much of the western world got hooked to a massive debt binge.

3) Listen to the budget. The deficit is huge. Public debt is approaching 100% of GDP. You cannot tax your way out of this kind of hole. The treasury is broke!

Back
Top Bottom