Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wood Green chitter-chatter..

I lived in Hornsey when I first moved to London so was familiar with the WG down to Finsbury Park bit. Then living in Hackney, I'd done the NG to Clissold Park section loads and sometimes up to Turnpike Lane. But never the northern bit and never all at once until I fulfilled my walking all of GL ambition. :thumbs:

(This could be an idea for an Urban walk combined with N London drinks...? :hmm:)
Did someone say North London drinks?

Reactions: Sue
(This could be an idea for an Urban walk combined with N London drinks...? :hmm:)

There's a good walk from Wood Green up to Broomfield Park and Arnos Grove... but the issue I think may be getting South Londoners to cross the river.

a few urbanites have been known to cross the river in either direction in the last year or two.

in case you're not aware, there is a 'thread of threads' for 'real world' urban gatherings - probably worth posting on there if something does happen.

Reactions: Sue
no later than 25 April 1961, when 629 trolleybus became 269 bus.

general 'feel' is late 50s / early 60s.

I was wondering for a minute what all those weird dark shapes in the sky were, then I realised they were power lines for a trolley bus :thumbs:

The Big Art Fun Adventure sculpture trail launches tomorrow, with many owls to be found in Wood Green (and surrounding areas):

We’re delighted to announce that in the summer of 2024 North London Hospice and Wild in Art will bring an exciting and iconic art sculpture trail to our community – Big Fun Art Adventure!

More than 30 giant owl sculptures, alongside a parliament of 30 smaller owlets designed by local schools and community groups, will hide in plain sight on the streets and in the parks of North London in the summer of 2024.

Each owl will be sponsored by a business and individually designed and decorated by local and regional artists, designers and illustrators. Each sculpture will celebrate the vibrancy, culture, and creativity that North London has to offer.
Big_Fun_400x400_6.jpg

1723796330988.png

For anyone who travels north from Wood Green, the Piccadilly line will be closed for two weeks from Saturday until 1st September to get the line ready for the new trains...

Oh, that'll mess with the art adventure a bit :(

Nice one of Green Lanes from 1944.

yes, although i'd question 1944 (may have been a postcard sent in 1944 of course) but the photo very much looks pre-war - no sign of the war (e.g. kerbs painted white for visibility in the blackout, netting on bus windows to reduce risk of glass flying around if a bomb drops anywhere near, and looks like the bus has a silver painted roof, which was done away with quite quickly in the war, as they were too visible from above.)

would say 1938-39 as there's a trolleybus heading towards the photographer, tram rails are still in place but don't know exactly when they were dug up. Trams in that patch were replaced by trolleybuses in a couple of stages in 1938.

bus looks similar to this survivor (photo taken at event last year) - the standard London bus of the late 30s

That's the Salisbury isn't it, behind the bus?

yes, i make it about here

This isn't Wood Green.. but easily recognisable.. when Green Lanes was..

View attachment 440378
Ah yes, the Castle, once part of the New River reservoir works - now a place for indoor and outdoor climbing!
I often walk round that way and get a coffee from their cafe, it's a nice place. I can remember the filter beds across the road when I first came to London late 1997 and lived in the Finsbury Park area, they were redundant by then and the housing estate was built shortly afterwards.

They used Eastern National's Wood Green depot for the TV version of 'On the Buses' (and some of their buses as well)

1950s OS map showing the site here.

1970s picture of bus on the Wood Green - Southend service (at the Lordship Lane end) here.

It closed in 1981. More here.

Back
Top Bottom