Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Windrush Square opens on Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 February 2010.

Come along to see live music and performances and a lantern-lit procession by local children. This is the first of many community events to take place in this new space at the heart of Brixton.

From 1pm onwards on Saturday 27 February activities will include live music performances, dance demonstrations and family art workshops. There will also be stalls by Spacemakers, Brixton Village and the Brixton Pound. The event will conclude with a lantern-lit procession led by local school children and a magnificent Phoenix.

From 1pm - 4pm on Sunday 28 February family activities and art workshops will take place throughout the afternoon.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/...FutureLambeth/BrixtonCentralSquareProject.htm

I actually think it looks quite good, at the moment through the barricades, and an improvement on what was there before. It will be interesting to see how well it works in practice, and how it ends up getting used.

teuchter said:
I actually think it looks quite good, at the moment through the barricades, and an improvement on what was there before. It will be interesting to see how well it works in practice, and how it ends up getting used.

Me too, looks really good and will be really nice to see the back of the construction and barriers in the centre. How it works in practice will be interesting, but timing is good with spring around the corner. Will there be an ice cream van?

I still prefer how it looked a hundred years ago, with grass instead of concrete, but I guess the changes were inevitable.

I think the Ritzy's cafe is going to prosper.

I still prefer how it looked a hundred years ago, with grass instead of concrete, but I guess the changes were inevitable.

I think the Ritzy's cafe is going to prosper.

I don't think it's concrete actually; the paving looks like some kind of sandstone to me.

I am wondering how long it will be before someone tries to climb one of the giant "windrush" things......

Designing the square
The new square in the heart of Brixton will provide a focal point for the town centre and a much-needed venue for community events, with potentially a new cafe and public toilets.

The redevelopment, which follows several years of consultation, has been designed with safety in mind and includes improved lighting, better sightlines and CCTV coverage.

eh? Can anyone tell me what it's really for and the idea behind. It could have been many things surely. The solution seems to have been create a very flat space. Can't work it out from Lambeth's site.

I was wondering when I went past this morning if those toilets were going to be opened up.

So far I'm having a bit of trouble imagining how/when I would use the space but who knows.

I'm going to miss the Grand Opening too.

Looks pretty, but I reckon that it'll be costly to maintain:

1. Those young trees being regularly ripped up

2. The provision of riot armament in the zig-zag paving around the edges - all those easy to pull up bricks...

eh? Can anyone tell me what it's really for and the idea behind. It could have been many things surely. The solution seems to have been create a very flat space. Can't work it out from Lambeth's site.

The previous layout was incoherent with lots of bits that didn't really relate to each other. Also there was not really one big space that would lend itself to events.

There was the "square" with paths crisscrossing a grassed area at the southern end, and this was fenced off and also cut off from the bit in front of the library by Rushcroft Road. That area was seldom used by anyone.

The bit in front of the Ritzy and the Library was a bit of a jumble of different bits and pieces, and there was that kind of banked up grassy bit on the corner that cut it off from the high street/coldharbour lane. There was that paved area kind of under the tree that was effectively closed off from the surrounding streets, and because the street drinkers tended to congregate there, a lot of people felt uncomfortable walking across that bit or using it so it wasn't really functioning as a "public space" (NB I don't have anything against the street drinkers using the space, and I won't mind if they return to use the new space, but hopefully the new more arrangement will mean that it won't feel dominated by them and people will be happy to use it for other purposes too).

Now, we have a fairly large open paved area which will be good for holding events on, and it's open to the roads on either side so it becomes a part of the town centre as a whole (the road realignments help with this too - hopefully the reduction in amount of traffic going up the first bit of Effra Road will mean the square doesn't feel so much like it's surrounded by main roads. The gentle steps facing towards the KFC corner I think are a good way of accommodating the level difference there, as opposed to the embankment/wall that was there before. I think the big tree sits well in the space, and the way the lighting is arranged makes it seem like an attractive gathering point.

I was a bit unsure, when proposed, whether the "windrushes" would be a bit gimmicky and pointless but I think they have been done well, a good balance between being too literal but also recognisable and something that people can identify with and which marks the space out as distinctive and "Brixton" rather than any old public square anywhere.

I know some folk are grumbling about the amount of grassed areas - but I think they've got it about right - if there was more it would just get churned up whenever events were held and anyway, if you want to lounge about on the grass I don't think central Brixton's really the place to do it - Brockwell park is just up the road after all.

Having said all that, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we won't really know how successful it is until people start using it (or not). It's not unknown for these kinds of spaces to seem good on paper, but then for some reason they just don't work (someone was telling me about a study they'd done on Gillett Square in Dalston which had a similar makeover, but for one reason or the other just doesn't seem to be working - people don't use it).

The obvious thing would be to put the farmer's market and the old Brixon Bazaar stalls on there at the weekends to give it some focus. My main concern is that it will become a drug dealing space. Before the redevelopment, there were always drug dealers patrolling both corners between Rushcroft Road and Saltoun Road after dark. :(

Seems to me that the design changed as it went on. From what is being built there it now appears to be a flat open space. Not a space designed for people to congregate on.

So what is a "Public Square" for . This one has all the hallmarks of what architects call "Defensible Space" . It is easy to police and maintain.

The whole point of a square is imo is that it provides a space for people to freely come and go and mingle. I may be wrong but I cant se that happening with this space. It will be heavily regulated public space.

Seems to me that the design changed as it went on. From what is being built there it now appears to be a flat open space. Not a space designed for people to congregate on.

So what is a "Public Square" for . This one has all the hallmarks of what architects call "Defensible Space" . It is easy to police and maintain.

The whole point of a square is imo is that it provides a space for people to freely come and go and mingle. I may be wrong but I cant se that happening with this space. It will be heavily regulated public space.

So, what would you have done differently?

What constitutes a space designed for people to congregate on?

And in what way does the new design hinder people from freely coming and going and mingling? :confused:

I'd have probably put more chairs and seating points together for a start.

Little isolated outcrops of chairs don't really encourage people to come together, especially if some 'clumps' of chair consist of 2 wooden seats faced in different directions from one another,

I ain't sitting on no giant kidney bean.

Christ, what's wrong with these architects. It should at least be a giant gungo or pigeon pea. How frightfully common and unsuitable

:(

Maybe they went for a pigeon pea but were told it wasn't culturally inclusive enough. I mean everyone likes a kidney bean.

I'd have probably put more chairs and seating points together for a start.

Little isolated outcrops of chairs don't really encourage people to come together, especially if some 'clumps' of chair consist of 2 wooden seats faced in different directions from one another,

They aren't much different from 2 or 3 person benches really. If you imagine each cluster being a standard bench, I think that would be a fairly normal provision of seating for this kind of space. I agree there could possibly be a few more though. But you can only put them around the edges if you want to retain the possibility of the space being used for events/large gatherings.

Maybe the giant kidney beans are the 'defensible' thing. Which would really work since there's two of them in a corner, leaving 3 sides completely open (those saplings wouldn't survive a concerted charge)

The "defensible space" concept usually applies to stuff like the areas in front of people's houses; it's about making people feel responsible for the care of an area, and discouraging the existence of empty spaces where ownership or responsibility for their care is ambiguous, because it is those kinds of spaces that fall into disrepair.

It's a perfectly sound principle if you ask me, and I don't see that it's been applied to this new square in any negative way.

The whole idea of following those principles is that you reduce the need for stuff like CCTV surveillance and policing.

Maybe it will turn bright green like Trinity Gardens has 2 years after being reconstructed! That's pretty cool, and good for the planet too!

Drunkard! :facepalm:

Why don't you pop down to the new square with a can of white lightening and join your mates? Oh, wait ~ is it true you got expelled from the Brixton Street Drinkers Massive?

It was the first drumming out from that august group for over thirty years, I was told :cool:

I also fall into the 'too much flat open space' school of thought - which I assume they did to make it easier to police but it doesn't exactly make for a sociable space. I guess time will tell how it gets used, and those people who were right can have a round of 'told you so' in six months time :p

Back
Top Bottom