Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you keep watching, or take up, any Olympic sports?

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
To one extent or another I'm very happy watching/playing almost any sport, but life (and ADHD...) gets in the way.

Obviously I'll probably catch bits of the sports that get mainstream coverage; football, tennis, maybe some cycling, gymnastics, etc.

I'm genuinely interested in checking out some more volleyball, though, if it's relatively easy to access.

I might also be interested in actually playing a bit, but age, plus the fact I've done no physical activity since the pandemic, present some friction there.

I always try to watch volleyball, both types. That will continue.

I'm finding weightlifting fascinating. I'm thinking of trying it, but will be watching it too.

Sailing of course. America's Cup starts soon. I will watch as much as possible of that. It is so very exciting.

Otherwise I'll not bother much.

No, I have never done and I doubt I ever will. I enjoy watching sports I don't normally watch during the Olympics but I've never kept on watching - I don't watch sports normally anyway...

Raygun - the Eddie The Eagle of breaking! Love her :D

I won't do it but I will be watching for more TV coverage of the climbing. Speed can do one, but the bouldering and lead I absolutely loved.

I haven't watched any because I don't have a TV or internet fast enough for streaming, but chat on here has reminded me that bouldering is fun and also useful for my main sport. I'll drop in to ask about booking an induction to use the local place when I'm in town this week.

I’ll continue watching the usuals, boxing and football.

After a few years of health issues which I’m almost clear of I’m going to start weightlifting again, no rush with it, I’m proper out of shape so will take it slow & steady, + cycling and swimming.

This is the 4th olympics I’ve watched in a row and thought I really want a go at Taekwondo. So far it has not happened, and so probably have to accept that at 46 I’m probably never going to 😂

Does cycling to work* and occasionally the shops count as taking up an Olympic sport?

* Also only occasionally.

I think I'd need a ladder to have any chance of kicking someone in the head tbh!
Yeah, I've always been more of a kicker than a puncher, so taekwondo is one of the more instinctively appealing combat sports.

But, I was reminded again watching this year that, at 5'6", I really don't have the legs for it. Literally.

What was the one where they were on like a hoverboard attached to a sail over the sea? Kite? I'd give that a go, that looked pretty dope. Most of the other stuff I usually only ever watch at the Olympics.

For me Athletics will always be the big draw. Linford Christie, Michael Johnson and Roger Black in the 90s all inspired me to sprint at school. Cathy Freeman winning 400m Gold in 2000 (and lighting the Olympic torch) will forever be etched in my memory. Kelly Holmes in 2004, Usain Bolt in 2008 & 2012, and that Saturday in 2012 where GB did amazingly, and numerous other Athletics moments seem to all be my Olympic highlights.

What was the one where they were on like a hoverboard attached to a sail over the sea? Kite? I'd give that a go, that looked pretty dope. Most of the other stuff I usually only ever watch at the Olympics.

For me Athletics will always be the big draw. Linford Christie, Michael Johnson and Roger Black in the 90s all inspired me to sprint at school. Cathy Freeman winning 400m Gold in 2000 (and lighting the Olympic torch) will forever be etched in my memory. Kelly Holmes in 2004, Usain Bolt in 2008 & 2012, and that Saturday in 2012 where GB did amazingly, and numerous other Athletics moments seem to all be my Olympic highlights.

Yeah the Athletics is really the heart of it all isn't it. Fair play to the winners in the other sports and I'm sure they all work just as hard but winning on the track in the main stadium is the headline stuff - Keely Hodgkinson is the Team GB star here not that climbing guy.

I'm inspired and going for the 10m sprint. I reckon I could do that.

(Re the diving. If anyone hasn't quite got a grasp on how high 10m is...it's roughly 1.5 average UK houses. Fuck. That.)

I know I should Google it but how deep is the pool?
E2a
5M apparently. But yeah fuck that quite frankly.

Just remembered I was thinking of applying to volunteer at the Island Games here next year, so actually I should probably start watching some of those sports so I have a vague idea of what's happening and how their competitions work :oops:

Yeah the Athletics is really the heart of it all isn't it. Fair play to the winners in the other sports and I'm sure they all work just as hard but winning on the track in the main stadium is the headline stuff - Keely Hodgkinson is the Team GB star here not that climbing guy.
I'm far more impressed by the climber. It's a more detailed and impressive sport. Just legging it round a track half a second faster than everyone else is pretty mindless.

Back
Top Bottom