Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wierd/silly/amusing/good news

Well said Dawn Butler:

Dawn Butler ejected from Commons for saying Johnson has lied repeatedly

"The Labour MP Dawn Butler has been ejected from the Commons after saying Boris Johnson had lied repeatedly to fellow parliamentarians and the country, and then refusing to withdraw the remark."

“The prime minister has lied to this house time and time again,” Butler told the deputy speaker, Judith Cummins. When asked to “reflect on her words”, Butler added: “It’s funny that we get in trouble in this place for calling out the lie, rather than the person lying.”

"Poor people in this country have paid with their lives because the prime minister spent the last 18 months misleading this house and the country,” the Brent Central MP said."

"It’s dangerous to lie in the pandemic. And I’m disappointed the prime minister has not come to the house to correct the record, and to correct the fact that he has lied to this house and the country over and over again.”

"I’ve reflected on my words, and somebody needs to tell the truth in this house, that the prime minister has lied.”

A step in the right direction:

London's first fleet of hydrogen-powered double-decker buses hits the streets - Hackney Citizen

"London is the first city in England to put hydrogen-powered double-decker buses on the streets after a new fleet was launched this week.
Transport for London (TfL) yesterday added 20 zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell buses to the 500 electric buses already in service in London.
The move follows investments of £6 million from TfL, £5 million from European bodies and £1 million from central government."
We had them in Porto when I lived there nearly 10 years ago

They’ve been around a while, I think the London ones are notable because they’re the first hydrogen powered double deckers, not the first hydrogen buses. The single decker ones usually have a tank on the roof (similar to natural gas powered ones).

The Dub ones are double decker too.

Wow, I didn't know the verdict was out there. I was convinced by her story that it was her dead sister wot done it :D ( both their DNAs were connected to this and a similar crime).

Bloody brilliant news in Tottenham!

Plans for 190 flats on London Latin Village site scrapped after protests

"Campaigners trying to save London’s only surviving Latin market have claimed a victory after the developer behind a multimillion-pound residential plan for the site pulled out.
Grainger on Thursday announced it was abandoning plans for 190 “build-to-rent” flats, with no affordable housing provision, on the Wards Corner site in Tottenham, north London, citing “rising costs” and the strength of local opposition."

This is awesome - Kinshasa street perfomers in DLC making the best of a very shitty situation by creating costumes out of recyled materials to commemorate civil war dead:
4724 (1).jpg4724.jpg

5315.jpg5315 (1).jpg

‘Absolutely madness’: Melbourne teenagers reveal they are behind leading Covid tracking website

"It turns out one of the most authoritative Covid-19 tracking sites in Australia is run by three teenagers.
The trio, who have been running CovidbaseAU, became part of their own statistics after getting their first doses of the Moderna vaccine in Melbourne.
The identities of the brains trust behind CovidbaseAU had not been public before Thursday afternoon, when 14-year-old Wesley with Jack and Darcy, both 15, tweeted a photograph of themselves."

This is not silly, or amusing, but does seem good news to me, if a bit wierd it took til 2021 and this specific murder to get them going:

Sarah Everard’s death prompts men to join groups trying to halt male violence

"The murders of Sarah Everard and Sabina Nessa could mark a turning point in men taking responsibility for male violence against women and girls, experts have said.

Groups led by men that work to end violence against females have experienced a surge in interest from other men, but organisers say if the momentum is not harnessed the opportunity will be lost."

Back
Top Bottom