Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why won't my cream float on my irish coffee??

oddworld

building a lego house
I've used brown sugar, jameson's, strong coffee and double cream.

2 attempts now and it sinks to the bottom despite using the back of the spoon.

Any tips good people of Urban?

you could try giving it a brisk stir before you do the cream, like when you're poaching eggs. and pouring it against the edge of the glass/mug, not the middle.

I've used brown sugar, jameson's, strong coffee and double cream.

2 attempts now and it sinks to the bottom despite using the back of the spoon.

Any tips good people of Urban?
it's too cold and the coffee is too hot? Also try running over that back of a spoon, not straight into the hot coffee.

I used to make emm for a living. Whipping cream, small amount of sugar, lightly whip till thickened a bit, add to glass over back of spoon.

Not enough sugar, even if you put too much sugar in if you then added a lot of alcohol it would have been made less sugary again. If this is the cause you need to increase the amount of sugary coffee to alcohol, probably by making a giant Irish coffee in a bigger glass.

Make your coffee, put the Jameson's in (not too much :( cos it will thin the coffee), put the sugar in (you do need a lot of sugar, three spoons plus for a normal sized cup, you might get away with two if it's a smaller cup), stir it up.

Double cream is fine, turn a teaspoon over and balance the tip of the spoon on the top of the coffee and VERY SLOWLY pour the cream onto the spoon so it goes down onto the top of the coffee, it may initially sink a little bit but should then float.

It's quite difficult to explain. But this method should work.

You are pouring the cream over the back of the spoon, yes?

Ah, 8115 is on the ball.

Too much whiskey will stop it from floating. Have you ever noticed that a slice of lemon will float on the top of a cup of tea but will sink to the bottom of a glass of gin or other spirit.

It's not enough sugar, or not using a spoon, or, not enough patience on the pour.

I've never drunk an Irish coffee, they look vile.

I'd probably drink coffee with whiskey in, I'm sure that's quite nice. But I don't see the point of all the messing around with sugar and cream.

Seriously, it's whipping cream lightly aerated with a bit of sugar in it. Floats every time. The whip leaves the cream as it warms but the cream remains floating. I'm not talking squirty cream here but whipping cream. The stuff that for some reason you hardly see in the supermarkets but use by the gallon in restaurants.

I've made 1000s of the bloody things, I'm not making it up.

You need more practice and experimentation in the art of making irish coffee. Id start now if I were you :)

I would say (but its based on nothing but guesswork) dont let the spoon break the surface of the coffee - just hover it above? there may be some surface tension that would help keep the cream afloat :hmm: maybe.

We've a whole bottle of Jameson's to get through so plenty of coffee's ahead. Might put on weight with all the double cream though!

It's like I'm talking to myself here :D :facepalm:

The foolproof method is to just spoon lightly whipped cream on top. That's it. Nothing else. Spoon it on top. With a spoon. It'll float. Lightly whipped cream, spooned on.

Back
Top Bottom