Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Pearoast?

734230_10200326692866584_819204860_n.jpg

An unbelievable set of interviews:

Moving to an NGO wasn't always easy. First there's the vernacular. I would get asked what I thought of the rights-based approach to development? I had no idea. I could tell you about the delta on CDSs, though. Also, you make sacrifices. Before taking this job I went on holiday to Vietnam, staying in very nice hotels ... I realised that this would no longer be possible, I had said goodbye to that kind of lifestyle.

There are a lot more people like us making the change than outsiders might think. Oxfam's Rob Nash did the same as me. He left Lehman Brothers where he was on the stock-lending desk, to work in the non-profit sector on financial aspects of sustainable development and poverty reduction. One colleague at JP Morgan became a maths teacher, another at BNP Paribas set up a retirement home. Also, there are far more people inside corporations and banks who want to make the world a better place. So why don't they join Oxfam or other NGOs? One reason might be the golden handcuffs. They've settled into the lifestyle, sent their children to expensive schools ... Neither of us have kids.

At the same we are running a series of seminars for Oxfam employees called "banks, bankers, and banking", to improve the internal understanding of the sector.

We have to work with corporations that want to change, but even more so, we must call out those who don't.

NGOs could help set-off internal debates in these companies, help shape the internal political economy of these corporations. We must empower insiders. Provide them with evidence to help them in their internal battles, work out how we can best push from the outside to help those on the inside. We need to tap into internal debates in companies.

For a number of years now Oxfam has worked with parliamentarians to help them see what life is like for poor communities. Why not do the same for bankers? That would be quite something, imagine twenty white guys in a refugee camp in east Congo, all of them connected to trade in the minerals mined there? I wonder about the impact of that.

Here's to idiots all round!

An unbelievable set of interviews:

Here's to idiots all round!

I met a load of those NGO careerist filth types when I was a volunteer with development charity here and then worked at a mag writing about the sector ("corporate social responsibility" too), it was a big part of what made me face up to what I'd always known was true, that it's not a substitute for proper political change, and get out.

I met a load of those NGO careerist filth types when I was a volunteer with development charity here and then worked at a mag writing about the sector ("corporate social responsibility" too), it was a big part of what made me face up to what I'd always known was true, that it's not a substitute for proper political change, and get out.

These types are just the worst. These finance sector professionals just walk into new jobs - devil knows how.

The guy admits that after he has secured his new job, he doesn't have a clue about a popular rights approach to development (ie in crude terms, less awareness than an ordinary GCSE Geography student), but he still wins, they all win. ((middle class))

These types are just the worst. These finance sector professionals just walk into new jobs - devil knows how.

The guy admits that after he has secured his new job, he doesn't have a clue about a popular rights approach to development (ie in crude terms, less awareness than an ordinary GCSE Geography student), but he still wins, they all win. ((middle class))
Remember when first hearing about "participatory development" thinking "only the middle class would need a whole theory to realise that poor people aren't thick or clueless about their situation."

Remember when first hearing about "participatory development" thinking "only the middle class would need a whole theory to realise that poor people aren't thick or clueless about their situation."

Likewise only the middle-class would think middle-class people training the poor in financial security will help the poor not be poor.
Only the middle-class would think sending a party of powerful middle-class people (politicians and bankers) on holiday to Africa would help people in Africa. The arrogance of winning.

Likewise only the middle-class would think middle-class people training the poor in financial security will help the poor not be poor.
Only the middle-class would think sending a party of powerful middle-class people (politicians and bankers) on holiday to Africa would help people in Africa. The arrogance of winning.
We had a microfinance component in the projects we were doing, which ditched most of the dogma and basically ended up being a way for village women to buy piglets on tick to rear and make some money on; later attended various microfinance conferences etc. and realised it really is full of free market headbangers who think it's just a case of providing the bootstraps so everyone can pull themselves up by magic - where we worked lots of villages were three hours walk up a mountain from the nearest road and further than that from a market. You must have heard the term "development tourism" too - like an extended gap year where middle class types get to do something touchy-feely amongst the exotics. Even more interesting was meeting local technicians etc. who helped with the training on microhydro power projects and the like - they said they'd been out and about doing just this sort of peer training during China's collective era but rarely got a chance to get out of the county town post-reform as their bosses concentrated on monetising stuff (rural energy office selling solar water heaters, for example) and only gave projects to political clients in the village who nine times out of ten were the best-off, best connected anyway.

We had a microfinance component in the projects we were doing, which ditched most of the dogma and basically ended up being a way for village women to buy piglets on tick to rear and make some money on; later attended various microfinance conferences etc. and realised it really is full of free market headbangers who think it's just a case of providing the bootstraps so everyone can pull themselves up by magic - where we worked lots of villages were three hours walk up a mountain from the nearest road and further than that from a market. You must have heard the term "development tourism" too - like an extended gap year where middle class types get to do something touchy-feely amongst the exotics. Even more interesting was meeting local technicians etc. who helped with the training on microhydro power projects and the like - they said they'd been out and about doing just this sort of peer training during China's collective era but rarely got a chance to get out of the county town post-reform as their bosses concentrated on monetising stuff (rural energy office selling solar water heaters, for example) and only gave projects to political clients in the village who nine times out of ten were the best-off, best connected anyway.

It's like "poorism" when you pay money to a local company (though usually run by a Westerner natch) to do tours of poor places:

KIBERA.jpg

Except with "development tourism" your costs are paid by taxpayers back home or people who donate to charities.

China stuff sounds important. Do have any solid analysis of China's campaign to "open the West"/"develop the West"? It looks an attempt to prolong the boom, by formalising rural relationships and giving individuals loans (for machinery hire or purchase) to sustain demand in the industrial sector. You should start a China thread - or at least a recommended China reading by internet.

Also: The Adam Smith Institute helped reorder the Chinese civil service in the 1990s - as part of development programme. LOL!

China stuff sounds important. Do have any solid analysis of China's campaign to "open the West"/"develop the West"? It looks an attempt to prolong the boom, by formalising rural relationships and giving individuals loans (for machinery hire or purchase) to sustain demand in the industrial sector. You should start a China thread - or at least a recommended China reading by internet.

Also: The Adam Smith Institute helped reorder the Chinese civil service in the 1990s - as part of development programme. LOL!
Would have to think on a considered reply to the "Go West: strategy thing, but it is well seen that so much of the money ended up going to Chongqing (saw some figures that said there was more money PPP in five years than the Marshall Plan!) which was already a major metropolis and was going to get included in the next wave of capital investment either way (though obv this helped create the "favourable conditions" just as the tax breaks etc in Shenzhen did back when).
Not just the Adam Smith thing - we met various now senior Chinese officials who'd been cherry picked way back in the 80s while still up-and-coming grad students by the Ford Foundation to go off to the US and do an economics masters in the Chicago kool-aid.

Fascinating article from TV presenter Rick Edwards, who is now their expert on male textiles:

A while back I lost my lovely blue Comme des Garçons wallet. It's infuriating to misplace any wallet, but I had huge affection for this one. So I bought an identical replacement. Subsequently, the wallet that I had insisted to the police had been "stolen from my pocket" turned up at Baker Street lost property, all contents intact. This meant two things: 1) I had to apologise to the police for wasting their time, and 2) I had two identical wallets.

But it's nevertheless worth thinking about splashing out on a far-from-ostentatious Uniform Wares watch, or even a minimalist Braun (because it's always a pleasure to have a watch that matches your electric toothbrush).

This is the planet the Guardian now lives on.

Are you a US student struggling to pay back college debt? Join our source network by having your say, and you'll help us tell a more nuanced and personal story of debt
From Girls to Veep: US TV's most stylish characters From Selina Meyer's vice-presidential wardrobe in Veep to April Ludgate's geek chic in Parks & Recreation – US TV stars are offering great fashion inspiration

The Princess of Wales gown auction: which of Diana's dresses can you buy? - in pictures

bloke i used to work with in the warehouse (earning £7.50 an hour, initially £7.00) used to be a lecturer, brougt it in every day, god knows how he afforded it :eek:

It was a pre-budget article, not a post-budget one. The Evening Standard got into trouble for pre-publishing the whole lot, but they all do preview articles of the main points on the morning of the budget speech.

I don't think they routinely change stories once they become retrospective and I wouldn't want them to either. It is still being grabbed by their content management system as a recent story on the budget, that's all.

Newspaper puts article from the morning edition on front page of website shock!

Bit of a stretch.

They should not change the original article. It is in their cluster of recent articles about the budget. It's an example of how modern newspapers organise their online content, nothing else.

They should not change the original article. It is in their cluster of recent articles about the budget. It's an example of how modern newspapers organise their online content, nothing else.
Can you point to someone saying that they should change the original article? If not, why are you saying this? It's been pointed out twice now that this was highlighted as an example of their pan going headlines. Take a step back. If you can.

Can you point to someone saying that they should change the original article? If not, why are you saying this? It's been pointed out twice now that this was highlighted as an example of their pan going headlines. Take a step back. If you can.

You said the newspaper doesn't change it all fucking day. Does that mean you think they should republish it as a new article with a slightly changed headline?

What's the "pan" thing? I don't understand what you mean by the use of that word.

Back
Top Bottom