Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is it so expensive to get to the frikkin Isle of Wight?

Cheap option:

lard-19497.jpg

I'm supposed to be stewarding for oxfam at Bestival but they've only secured any deals for foot passengers. The ferry people want 125 fucking quid just for me to get to their poxy little island. Looks like it's bye bye oxfam.

the isle of wight is a lovely lovely place and it's where my dad's from. but I went there with an ex years ago and had the most miserable weekend of my life and it's put me off going back. but I'm determined to get the island back as my lovely place, not my place from hell, cos it was the company, not the place that was rubbish!

shame that oxfam don't cough up for your ferry fare though, it can be expensive enough getting to festivals before adding in wightlink or red funnels extortionate fees!

the isle of wight is a lovely lovely place and it's where my dad's from. but I went there with an ex years ago and had the most miserable weekend of my life and it's put me off going back. but I'm determined to get the island back as my lovely place, not my place from hell, cos it was the company, not the place that was rubbish!

shame that oxfam don't cough up for your ferry fare though, it can be expensive enough getting to festivals before adding in wightlink or red funnels extortionate fees!
To be honest I don't think oxfam stewarding is meant for people with any kind of disability or from cornwall :D By the time you've added the cost of diesel and the cost of ferries and shit it's pretty prohibitive

the companies have a bad monopoly, the prices are outrageous, i think the cheapest is the southampton to cowes one. It's not expensive if you're on the train and go as foot passenger with a rail ticket to say Ryde from portsmouth harbour.

What's so great about it? Looks like a bit of a shithole to me :hmm:
The wealthy residents want to keep the peasant scum out. IIRC, there was talk years ago about building a bridge, but the locals (or the wealthy ones) scuppered it, coz they didn't want their island accessible to the masses.

if I remember correctly, the solent is the most expensive stretch of water to cross in the universe. or something.

iirc it is the busiest so i assume the 2 would be connected. madzone- don't you have any people to travel with who could split the cost of the ferry in exchange for a seat in your car? :)

I'm supposed to be stewarding for oxfam at Bestival but they've only secured any deals for foot passengers. The ferry people want 125 fucking quid just for me to get to their poxy little island. Looks like it's bye bye oxfam.

You're right about that, the car ferry is a fucking disgrace.

I think you can get it for less than that though :hmm: look at some different times.

The Isle of Wight is my proppa happy place. We should have a little hollybobs there and see if we can't make it work for you again! :)

We will have a crazy golf tournament, climb the dinosaurs and get lost in the world's crappest maze at Blackgang Chine, eat a bitchin' cream tea with the blue rinse brigade in Godshill and then go dancing at Colonel Bogeys. Or maybe the Club K in Newport ;)

Didn't I get there as a foot passenger for about a £15 return for bestival last year? Is that not an option?

The Isle of Wight is my proppa happy place. We should have a little hollybobs there and see if we can't make it work for you again! :)

We will have a crazy golf tournament, climb the dinosaurs and get lost in the world's crappest maze at Blackgang Chine, eat a bitchin' cream tea with the blue rinse brigade in Godshill and then go dancing at Colonel Bogeys. Or maybe the K Club in Newport ;)

:D :cool:

I dunno why people tend to have this 'it's a shit hole' idea. If you go up onto the Downs above Ventnor on a clear summer day, it's quite quite quite magnificent. We took my wife up there and she had to stretch to Hainan Island (which is sort of like a not-quite-as-good-Thailand) to think of anywhere as beautiful in China. She didn't enjoy her first trip to the UK, but she said the Isle of Wight was really beautiful...

Last time I went to the Isle of Wight (for Bestival), my passage on the ferry was included in the ticket.

Hope that helps.

:)

The Tanky and Poots Tour will also take in the donkey sanctuary, obvs, where I shall coo like a loon at the donks like this one below:

donkeyd.jpg

By pootle07 at 2009-08-18

I love the donks, I do :)

What's not to love about the donks?

Look at these gorgeous things currently residing at the Widgit Donk Sanctuary:

mainimage.gif

By pootle07 at 2009-08-18

Contrary to popular belief people, there isn't actually a lump of flint where my heart should be ;)

Back
Top Bottom