Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

Black people this, women that, I'm just glad that someone is at long last standing up for the hypotheticals.

Yeah, because that's exactly what motivated me - the rights of imaginary white people. Not a rejection of a demonstrably nonsensical moral absolute, which, as I've explained, I don't consider to be the most effective way of countering racism.

It's telling that much of the argument against my position relies on a dishonest caricature of it.

Nothing like the sight of a white man insisting to women of colour that he knows better about racism :thumbs :

Presumably you've chosen to ignore the views of Mariane Pearl, another woman of colour. Convenient for you.

Yeah, because that's exactly what motivated me - the rights of imaginary white people. Not a rejection of a demonstrably nonsensical moral absolute, which, as I've explained, I don't consider to be the most effective way of countering racism.

It's telling that much of the argument against my position relies on a dishonest caricature of it.
But we live in this world. Because of its baggage, white people blacking up isn't a neutral thing to do. And in the case of films - yes, even in the case of Angelina Jolie and Mariane Pearl - it's a product of, and a reinforcement of, structural inequalities. Taken as a whole, mainstream representation of black women in particular in US films is rather shocking, no? A white woman plays a mixed race part. Meanwhile a mixed race woman like Halle Berry gets the parts of black women. There are very few black female film stars in the US, and very few mainstream directors who create roles for them.

btw in the case of Mariane Pearl, she's doing publicity for her film. I wouldn't take anything she says particularly seriously. What else is she going to say? It's pr fluff. She's making $$$$$.

83620157ab119590e91d52d6b8a0205f.jpg

Okay, so so far it's you and one non-poster who you've decided supports you in correcting the women of colour you're insisting are wrong about racism.

Yeah, because an argument's worth is dictated by weight of numbers.

The fact that Mation and I disagree about the efficacy of a particular tactic in the fight against racism is not quite the same as me insisting she's wrong. And, in any event, she accepted my central point (the hypothetical one).

In your opinion, what are the circumstances in which it is acceptable for a white person to disagree with a person of colour regarding race?

Last edited:
btw in the case of Mariane Pearl, she's doing publicity for her film. I wouldn't take anything she says particularly seriously. What else is she going to say? It's pr fluff. She's making $$$$$.

So, notwithstanding the absence of any evidence that she's not sincere, you've discounted what she said. And it just happens to undermine your argument. A bit too convenient.

So, notwithstanding the absence of any evidence that she's not sincere, you've discounted what she said. And it just happens to undermine your argument. A bit too convenient.
I have recognised that she is promoting her film. She's bound to talk up how perfect her star is in that film. It is naive to think that this has anything to do with sincerity. She may or may not be sincere, I don't know. But no, I don't take pr guff seriously. And neither should you.

I have recognised that she is promoting her film. She's bound to talk up how perfect her star is in that film. It is naive to think that this has anything to do with sincerity. She may or may not be sincere, I don't know. But no, I don't take pr guff seriously. And neither should you.

This isn't a case where she's required to offer an ex post facto justification; she specifically states that she chose Jolie because of the connection between them. Are you saying she's lying?

This isn't a case where she's required to offer an ex post facto justification; she specifically states that she chose Jolie because of the connection between them. Are you saying she's lying?
I'm saying that she is doing pr for her film. Have you not seen Hollywood pr before? It's always like this.

Back
Top Bottom