Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

Given the subject matter is entirely bonkers .....

I hadn't realised how despicably violent the Jebus film was - total gore-fest and a box office smash.

Which film?
I believe it was called "The Passion of The Christ" .
I accidentally saw bits of it on an atheist video - they reckoned the longest bit without violence was about 6 minutes.

It shocked me, but then I won't even watch the news, let alone violent films or computer games.
The Abrahamic cults are extremely violent.

Perhaps some Brown actors refuse to play such parts on the grounds that the parts are not also suitable for a white actor. ;)

Everyone in the bible was white, you only have to look at the pictures

jesussauris.png

So many films, including Ridley Scott's newest Biblical epic, Exodus: Gods And Kings feature heavily made up white actors playing brown characters.
Why is this acceptable? I would have thought it was frowned upon nowadays.
Interesting question. I wonder, have there been any actual examples of 'browning up' in a modern day setting since Fisher Stevens in Short Circuit? Or to put it another way, is it purely reserved for stuff set thousands of years ago, when clearly everyone who mattered was white?

I believe it was called "The Passion of The Christ" .
I accidentally saw bits of it on an atheist video - they reckoned the longest bit without violence was about 6 minutes.

It shocked me, but then I won't even watch the news, let alone violent films or computer games.
The Abrahamic cults are extremely violent.
Who the eff do you think done all that violence on the christ?

I have only recently found out that some of the blacked-up minstrels in the old days in America were already black but wanted to exaggerate the effect.

So many films, including Ridley Scott's newest Biblical epic, Exodus: Gods And Kings feature heavily made up white actors playing brown characters.
Why is this acceptable? I would have thought it was frowned upon nowadays.

Thinking about it this is a whole can of worms, What is white? People of indigenous European ancestry? North Europeans? Caucasians?

Many people from the Middle East consider themselves to be white; are Italians White but Persians not?

The Romans apparently did that to a lot of people around that time.
Making it into a death cult and forcing children to watch it 2,000 years later is a bad idea.
So let's see - it wasn't anything to do with an Abrahamic cult but, in fact, people directly opposed to Abrahamic cults.

Last edited:
Interesting question. I wonder, have there been any actual examples of 'browning up' in a modern day setting since Fisher Stevens in Short Circuit? Or to put it another way, is it purely reserved for stuff set thousands of years ago, when clearly everyone who mattered was white?
Tropic Thunder?

... made up white actors playing brown characters. Why is this acceptable?

Why not? Actors play all sorts of parts. As long as the process for recruiting them is fair i.e. doesn't discriminate in favour of white actors, then I see no reason in principle why a white actor shouldn't play a 'brown' character, if the make-up is good enough.

Tropic Thunder?
That was "blacking up" really, and was knowingly post-ironic or something. And they got shit for it even then. I think Fisher Stevens did too, with his comedy Apu-style Indian, but I don't remember anyone criticising Ben Kingsley for doing Ghandi.

That was "blacking up" really, and was knowingly post-ironic or something. And they got shit for it even then. I think Fisher Stevens did too, with his comedy Apu-style Indian, but I don't remember anyone criticising Ben Kingsley for doing Ghandi.
Hank Azaria is white and got away with Apu in The Simpsons.
And Ben Kingsley is half-Indian. His real name is Krsna Banerjee!

Back
Top Bottom