Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS?! Films that were never on your radar before but now they are you really, really must see them...

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
I can't say I'd ever heard of the original Les Rivières Pourpres, but having accidentally come across this précis of its sequel Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse I absolutely must let it lick my eyeballs:

As with the first movie, the pair's investigations intertwine and soon they are looking at a giant conspiracy involving a secretive group of monks on amphetamines led by Heinrich von Garten, played by Christopher Lee, searching for a treasure hidden by King Lothair II somewhere near the Maginot-Line.

Not a review, but the Scala doc I saw recently mentioned this repeatedly:

I heard about The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez (1982) for the first time the other day....sounds amazing...ive downloaded it but not acutally watched...probably will do nearer christmas, thats my tv and film time.... but anyhow the two things Ive heard about The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez are
its the first US western with a hispanic lead/hero ("Gregorio Cortez is a Chicano film, with Mexican-American actors, a largely Mexican-American production team, telling a Mexican-American story.)
and its considered the most realistic western of all time by those who know about such things...I think that means authenticity in all the production details

ballad.png

i love italian westerns but really dont get on with US ones, but I think the Chicano aspect of this will work....sounds like a classic

Last edited:
I heard about The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez (1982) for the first time the other day....sounds amazing...ive downloaded it but not acutally watched...probably will do nearer christmas, thats my tv and film time.... but anyhow the two things Ive heard about The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez are
its the first US western with a hispanic lead/hero ("Gregorio Cortez is a Chicano film, with Mexican-American actors, a largely Mexican-American production team, telling a Mexican-American story.)
and its considered the most realistic western of all time by those who know about such things...I think that means authenticity in all the production details

View attachment 399364

i love italian westerns, but really dont get on with US ones, but I think the Chicano aspect of this will work....sounds like a classic

I heard about it from this Criterion Closet pics youtube vid

always interesting films ive never heard of name checked on these things, first time ive actually downloaded one though (tell a lie i finally watched Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress earlier this year after someone picked it out)

I can't say I'd ever heard of the original Les Rivières Pourpres, but having accidentally come across this précis of its sequel Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse I absolutely must let it lick my eyeballs:

I'm watching this now! Half way through. Found it on fshare.

Name of the Rose meets the Eiger Sanction.

Eta: and now martial arts! Didn't see that coming.

I saw that a few decades ago, definitely at the Scala and probably at an all-nighter, though I confess I don't remember that much about it.

View attachment 399364

i love italian westerns but really dont get on with US ones, but I think the Chicano aspect of this will work....sounds like a classic
watched this now....amazing film, top class....on top of everything the look and feel just feels so of the time, a real time travelling experience...you know how when modern films about older times everything feels a little too clean and the actors look like they're dressing up, this manages to avoid that somehow, hard to say what it does differently but it really captures the past

the story telling is right up there too and done in quite an original way...
highly recommend

Peckinpah's gritty late westerns have that grungy lived in look, iirc. As do Leone's.

Still a sucker for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, though.

Was intrigued by the sound of Blackthorn - a kind of sequel to the George Roy Hill classic. It doesn't disappoint. Whether you agree with the premise or not.

Peckinpah's gritty late westerns have that grungy lived in look, iirc. As do Leone's.
yes but somehow this is that little bit more so....naturalistic acting also sort of verging on documentary cinematography? it does have style though...I dont know theres just something about the way it all comes together

ETA the director has a background in documentaries

Last edited:
So the guy introducing this at the LFF mentioned they were programming in some films related to the Scala and lo and behold...

watched this now....amazing film, top class....on top of everything the look and feel just feels so of the time, a real time travelling experience...you know how when modern films about older times everything feels a little too clean and the actors look like they're dressing up, this manages to avoid that somehow, hard to say what it does differently but it really captures the past

the story telling is right up there too and done in quite an original way...
highly recommend
Watched this tonight. Good summary that :oldthumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom