Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why Conspiracy Theorists are so prevalent.

Not sure about you guys but I was never exposed to any type of critical thinking classes in school. I think this is the case for the majority of people without some basic tools for discerning truth from falsehood people doomed to fall prey to this magical thinking.

Thats what good quality history teachers should be for amongst other things ...

Not enough of that around though.

Isn't God just the ultimate conspiracy theory?

It depends on whether you think life has meaning.

Evidently many people today do not, or rather pretend not to.

But of course in reality it is impossible for the human mind to miss the distinction between appearance and essence.

We all know that the way things seem is distinct from the way they really are.

Lacking rational direction, as it frequently does today, this knowledge sends the mind haywire.

Not sure about you guys but I was never exposed to any type of critical thinking classes in school. I think this is the case for the majority of people without some basic tools for discerning truth from falsehood people doomed to fall prey to this magical thinking.

History, English Lit, Geography and virtually every Science should all teach you critical thinking to some degree. Has the teaching got so structured towards exams and grades that these skills are being lost? I can't believe that.

History, English Lit, Geography and virtually every Science should all teach you critical thinking to some degree. Has the teaching got so structured towards exams and grades that these skills are being lost? I can't believe that.

I don't believe it; I know it.

An interesting article on the increasing prevalence of conspiracy theorists:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-faked-why-people-believe-conspiracy-theories
it's a decent piece, although it doesn't really follow its own conclusions through.

If 'belief in conspiracy theories is associated with feelings of powerlessness, uncertainty and a general lack of agency and control'
surely the author should be asking why there has been an increase in such feelings. The partial answer given - basically, cos the consequences are scary shit - only goes so far. That was just as true fifty years ago (people believed the Cuban missile crisis would mean the end of the world), so what's changed?

I think there are three things. Firstly scientific advances has explained even more than ever before, rendering religion less and less meaningful or central to peoples lives. So religion is waning. But, at the same time, science seems to be being abused (eg GM crops) and/or (depending upon the CTer) going too far in trying to control the uncontrollable. Plus most scientists (according to CTers) work for big corporations and are only interested in making them money, so science is out as an alternative. Which is where the third thing comes in. Many CTs include a very crude anti-capitalism, but, with the defeat of 'actually existing communism' combined with the usual yankee fears of anything that might be termed communism, there is no coherent political alternative.

And then they follow the Holmesian dictum ,when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Thus, only CTs remain.

I don't believe it; I know it.

How so?

I'm not so sure, I think its always been the case. I think its something within all of us to be to a certain extent unquestioning, a survival mechanism if you like. We're a pack animal and for the pack to thrive it requires a lot of trust in each other.

I'm not so sure, I think its always been the case. I think its something within all of us to be to a certain extent unquestioning, a survival mechanism if you like. We're a pack animal and for the pack to thrive it requires a lot of trust in each other.
'To a certain extent' can mean anything and nothing. Yes, there are many ways in which we must be unquestioning, and just trust our group in what it is doing, but, as a species, we're anything but. Take a look at the world around you, thats only there because humans are always questioning, discovering how the world works and trying to exercise dominion over it.

Back
Top Bottom