Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why are Leave voters expected to compromise?

Think there's talk of letting ex-pats vote in the Presidential elections, in future. And maybe that will lead to being able to vote in the bigger, more important stuff.
They might allow ex pats to vote in the presidency, but I doubt they would allow a vote in a general except if they followed the French and Italian examples of a handful of seats for ex-pats in the Dail. The sharp rise in passport applications post the Brexit referendum from people previously uniterested in Irish citizenship and therefore Dail wankings will prevent the FFG/Lab/Greens from expanding voting rights to Generals.

They might allow ex pats to vote in the presidency, but I doubt they would allow a vote in a general except if they followed the French and Italian examples of a handful of seats for ex-pats in the Dail. The sharp rise in passport applications post the Brexit referendum from people previously uniterested in Irish citizenship and therefore Dail wankings will prevent the FFG/Lab/Greens from expanding voting rights to Generals.
imagine Spymaster choosing the irish president, it doesn't bear thinking about :(

But they could not vote in the EU referendum. Despite some of them living here for years. Like my Polish friend who has been here for ten years.

One of my objections to the referendum was that that the people from other EU countries , who referendum would effect, didn't have a say.
I suppose your friends could always have become British citizens, as many others have done, which would have given them both the right to vote and the right to stay here, but apparently you're still complaining about them not being treated like everybody else...

I suppose your friends could always have become British citizens, as many others have done, which would have given them both the right to vote and the right to stay here, but apparently you're still complaining about them not being treated like everybody else...

Costs about a grand and a half, not small change for most people, which I suspect is the intent, part of the hostile environment aimed at the less well off. A way of disenfranchising people doing ‘working class’ service sector jobs etc., particularly in cities like London.

I’m not one for the ‘great replacement’ bollocks of the far right, but don’t think it’s an accident that a large proportion of the people doing the shittiest jobs don’t get to have a say in how society is organised (if you buy into the idea of democracy giving such control).

Costs about a grand and a half, not small change for most people, which I suspect is the intent, part of the hostile environment aimed at the less well off. A way of disenfranchising people doing ‘working class’ service sector jobs etc., particularly in cities like London.

I’m not one for the ‘great replacement’ bollocks of the far right, but don’t think it’s an accident that a large proportion of the people doing the shittiest jobs don’t get to have a say in how society is organised (if you buy into the idea of democracy giving such control).
none of us have had a say in how society is organised. if we had i submit it would be much better organised.

Stirling unlikely to plummet but sterling will

I stand corrected; thank you for educating me!

BTW, 'will' implies a future adaptation - more scare mongering?

That said, I do appreciate your reading my reply, and once again, thanks for the spelling correction - much appreciated indeed.

That said, I do appreciate your reading my reply, and once again, thanks for the spelling correction - much appreciated indeed.
Pound plunges after Leave vote
Pound PLUNGES against euro and US dollar – moment Sterling reacts to Brexit vote
given that the pound has declined significantly in value following the referendum and after mv3 i think it is reasonable to suppose that when brexit occurs a similar fall in the pound's value will take place.

further to my previous post it's a great disappointment to have to remind you of things which have already happened

I have skim-read your posts and I agree with some of what you say but it's nothing new. There are loads of Brexit threads in support of multiple positions (including yours) on here but you come across as a pompous ringpiece which is why people are ignoring you or taking the piss.

Well, I don't know of any raising that question and on top of that I wrote (towards the end of the original post, near the end):
"...I haven't seen anyone present the above hypothetical casus and should someone already have, please accept my apologies for having wasted your time and consider my message as if it had never been posted..."

Also, I can't say that there isn't a lot of reaction going on (probably happened while you were on the toilet?).

BTW, especially in a discussion it's never wise to throw insults around and even more so when they lack any substantiation whatsoever. Doing so only contributes to people thinking that they're right in their judgment of you.......

Well, I don't know of any raising that question and on top of that I wrote (towards the end of the original post, near the end):
"...I haven't seen anyone present the above hypothetical casus and should someone already have, please accept my apologies for having wasted your time and consider my message as if it had never been posted..."

Also, I can't say that there isn't a lot of reaction going on (probably happened while you were on the toilet?).

BTW, especially in a discussion it's never wise to throw insults around and even more so when they lack any substantiation whatsoever. Doing so only contributes to people thinking that they're right in their judgment of you.......
QED.

Based on what; that he cannot handle the fact that someone else is right (rendering his position wrong)?
Great way of arguing - really impressed!
You seem to have such a low opinion of your interlocutors here that I wonder why you even bothered to join or post.

Stirling’s about as low as it can get.

Feeling or fact?

If I'm informed correctly a few days after the referendum in 2016 (to be precise: June 27, 2016) the exchange rate of the British Pound against the Euro was: 0,83875.
On March 30th last it stood at: 0,85658 which amounts to an increase of a little over 2%.
A low for Sterling was f.i. May 8, 2000 when said rate was 0.58510 which is about 43% lower than last weekend; so what's your point?

View attachment 166370

The point that the basis of your thread is redundant nonsense stands, whatever the electorate were told. Any singular, exceptional expression of 'direct democracy' within a Parliamentary system of representative democracy affords voters (or non voters) no capacity to compromise, whatever their choice on the day of the plebiscite.

For your own reasons you appear unable to accept that fact.

Aah, basing personal opinions on so-called wisdom that wasn't shared with the voters - way to right a wrong!
I'm wondering on which side the denial lies of the fact that 'Leave' plain and simple won.

EU nationals from other EU countries have, until we leave, rights here.

This includes right to vote in local election and EU elections.

What Im saying is that the EU referendum should have allowed EU nationals here to vote in the referendum. They were excluded from it. This was a political choice.

The UK being in the EU meant that EU nationals could live here with rights without need to go for UK citizenship.

Some have done this for years.

I dont know what u mean by still complaining.

As EU nationals from other countries resident here, some for decades, had voting rights here already I think they should have had right to vote in a referendum which potentially affects there status here.

Feeling or fact?

If I'm informed correctly a few days after the referendum in 2016 (to be precise: June 27, 2016) the exchange rate of the British Pound against the Euro was: 0,83875.
On March 30th last it stood at: 0,85658 which amounts to an increase of a little over 2%.
A low for Sterling was f.i. May 8, 2000 when said rate was 0.58510 which is about 43% lower than last weekend; so what's your point?

I think you may have your numbers the wrong way round, 0.58510 was the amount of pounds needed to buy one euro (ie 58.5p), it’s now about 86p (0.8588 as of last look), so euros are more expensive in pounds, ie the pound is weaker. 0.58510 in May 2000 was a high for Sterling vs euro.

Feeling or fact?

perhaps you should get to know what you're talking about before you start saying things which don't make sense.

for example the difference you ought to be looking at is how the pound was v the euro on 22 june 2016:
upload_2019-4-2_12-37-35.png

so your 'on 27/6/16 the pound v euro was 0.83875' is quite a decline from the position just a few days before. the pound has never yet returned to its pre-ref strength against either the dollar or the euro.

Your question is based on a set of faulty assumptions. So you’re unlikely to get the answer you’re looking for. Also, you seem to be arguing with some of the more ardent remainers on here, so I don’t expect any light from this thread.

Well, if my facts were to be wrong, I invite you to correct me. I can only learn from that and improve my view-point(s).

Second of all, I 'm not trying to 'get an answer', only to raise a point that I had not yet heard.
Didn't know the people that react are Remainers - and understand much better mow why there's a deadlock. People don't listen to arguments; in stead apparently they prefer to display ostrich like behavior by burying their heads in the sand in order not to see things they don't want to see, so they can remain (pun intended) in their own bubble.

Sadly enough, the beauty of elections is that one isn't required (to be able) to explain why one voted as one did.
The result of the voting speaks for itself.

As I already concluded: haven't read or understood my original post at all.
I'm of the opinion that 'Leavers' should *NOT* have to compromise anything; I that that that was clear, but it turns out that it wasn't.

Aah, basing personal opinions on so-called wisdom that wasn't shared with the voters - way to right a wrong!
I'm wondering on which side the denial lies of the fact that 'Leave' plain and simple won.
Not really sure what you're on about or why, but if you're hoping to find folk who would deny that more people voted 'Leave' than 'Remain', you've come to the wrong place.
I was simply pointing out that your presumption that voters of either persuasion are in any position to compromise with anybody over anything is arrant tosh.

Pound plunges after Leave vote
Pound PLUNGES against euro and US dollar – moment Sterling reacts to Brexit vote
given that the pound has declined significantly in value following the referendum and after mv3 i think it is reasonable to suppose that when brexit occurs a similar fall in the pound's value will take place.

Now here's something I thought was broadly known out there: NEVER BUY OR SELL (RELATIVELY) IMMEDIATELY AFTER AN EVENT TOOK PLACE. If people are that nervous (or is it stupid), they don't have any business doing what they do - don't take my word for it, simply ask the renowned traders.
Furthermore, your argument doesn't take into account that some 20 years ago (May 2000), Sterling was much weaker to the tone of over 43% (mind you, weaker without any signs of the UK leaving the EU).
But hey it's a free world, I suggest that you just go on believing in what you choose to.

Now here's something I thought was broadly known out there: NEVER BUY OR SELL (RELATIVELY) IMMEDIATELY AFTER AN EVENT TOOK PLACE. If people are that nervous (or is it stupid), they don't have any business doing what they do - don't take my word for it, simply ask the renowned traders.
Furthermore, your argument doesn't take into account that some 20 years ago (May 2000), Sterling was much weaker to the tone of over 43% (mind you, weaker without any signs of the UK leaving the EU).
But hey it's a free world, I suggest that you just go on believing in what you choose to.
i think you'll find that in may 2000 sterling was much stronger to the tune of over 43%. but, hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

The low sterling value that you’ve quoted was after a specific event and not a value that was sustained, but then I expect you already know that.

here is a chart of how many euros you could get for a pound since 1999
upload_2019-4-2_12-56-4.png
British Pound to Euro Spot Exchange Rates for 1999 to 2019 from the Bank of England
strangely the weak pound you talked about seems really really strong in 2000.

you haven't a fucking clue what you're on about.

I think you may have your numbers the wrong way round, 0.58510 was the amount of pounds needed to buy one euro (ie 58.5p), it’s now about 86p (0.8588 as of last look), so euros are more expensive in pounds, ie the pound is weaker. 0.58510 in May 2000 was a high for Sterling vs euro.

Well, the diagram I looked at shows Sterling vs. the Euro
upload_2019-4-2_13-54-10.png

But even if you're correct (which I'm not taking issue with, you probably do this much more often than I do) the same diagram shows that on December 31, 2008 Sterling did 0.9525 to the Euro as opposed to 10½ years later 0.85 something. So doesn't the argument bear the same validity? Granted, not so much validity as the other way around, but still the opinion raised appears to be short sighted.

(boy, am I glad I'm not a trader, especially of British Pounds; could have lost millions with this ☹).

Back
Top Bottom