Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who is the best Captain?

Captain Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III

Plane_crash_into_Hudson_River_muchcropped.jpg

e1df827a528cbf2d4fdd5d94c424f8f7.jpg

For those a bit mystified by krtek a houby's post, that's Captain Crisps, the main character in a promotional campaign for Irish crisps from the early '80s.

Years and years later, I was walking down the street somewhere and happened to glance up at the windows of one of the houses, where I could see original Captain Crisp posters still pinned proudly to the wall.

photo.jpg

Captain Ruth 'Nancy' Blackett. I wanted to be her far more than I did John Walker, who was an arse and sexist to Susan and Titty, and who bullied whatever his younger brother was called

Captain Valentine Todd, who when under heavy artillery bombardment during the seige of Ladysmith refused to abandon his cricket match and was killed by a shell while running up to bowl. The umpires, unable to retrieve the ball from his hand, declared it 'dead' and allowed play to continue with a replacement.

Captain Valentine Todd, who when under heavy artillery bombardment during the seige of Ladysmith refused to abandon his cricket match and was killed by a shell while running up to bowl. The umpires, unable to retrieve the ball from his hand, declared it 'dead' and allowed play to continue with a replacement.

That's a bit unfair on the batsman. I hope someone apologised on Todd's behalf for breaking off when in delivery stride. I bet the cad didn't declare his action either.

That made me read about the siege of Ladysmith, where I found this:

“On Christmas Day 1899, the Boers fired into Ladysmith a carrier shell without fuze, which contained a Christmas pudding, two Union Flags and the message "compliments of the season". The shell is still kept in the museum at Ladysmith.”

Back
Top Bottom