Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which car?

Red Cat

I currently have a 14 year old Ford Fiesta, which I've enjoyed driving, but I want a bigger but smallish family car for £3000 max, cheapish maintenance and insurance. I want good boot space for camping. It's mainly for city use, but want something nice on the motorway, would go further more often with a good car.

Thinking a Ford Focus, but also Honda Civic or Kia Ceed. VW Golf I think is too expensive, but I haven't really researched that, just assuming. I know I need to test drive some but interested in opinions/experiences atm.

Any ideas?

That sounds cheap to me for a 5 yr old Golf. I'm searching for 3k max and they're all 10 years old.

If they're no more expensive than a Focus, why do so many people buy the Focus when the Golf gets better reviews???

ALso, petrol or diesel. There's loads of diesels about...not sure if there's an advantage overall????

That sounds cheap to me for a 5 yr old Golf. I'm searching for 3k max and they're all 10 years old.

If they're no more expensive than a Focus, why do so many people buy the Focus when the Golf gets better reviews???
Possibly because of maintenance costs - Ford parts are a lot cheaper, or so I've been told. Maybe cheaper insurance too?

ALso, petrol or diesel. There's loads of diesels about...not sure if there's an advantage overall????

There's been a few things in the news the last week or so about how environmentally unfriendly diesels apparently are

When I got my current car (19 years ago - it's a diesel peugeot 205 which will be 22 next month) the general message seemed to be that diesels were more environmentally friendly than petrol cars - the drift of this seemed to be that a bit of soot was better than all the invisible crap that petrol engine cars churn out.

Opinion seems to be changing - there's a risk that tax etc on diesel cars (and potentially on diesel) will go up more in coming years. I'm aware that if the current proposals go through, then mine will be banned from going in to central london in a few years...

Petrol. I think ppl are offloading diesels either for environmental reasons, or because they'll pay more thru environmental surcharges. In London for example, Boris has proposed that diesel cars pay an extra £10 a day congestion charge.

Petrol def. Hondas are very reliable and nicely built, but Focus a good alternative. I would prefer an older premium brand car like those to something newer but less upmarket, for the same price, but look for the best miles and poss trade in.

VW Passat makes a lovely family car. I got 1.9 tdi Saloon its good on diesel for it's size and really lovely to drive.

I think it was 6 years old then tbf, quite pleased to get it at that price:thumbs:

Thanks for the ideas.

I had a look for a VW Passat last night and I thought they seemed above my budget....but will look again as I'm a bit autotradered-out and getting confused now.

Also thought about a Skoda.

I really like the look of the Honda Civic, although it's supposed to have poor rear visibility. I've seen a nice one (not in the flesh) for £2,995, but I'd like to pay less than that if poss. How much discount d'you think you could expect to get on that?

There's also one for £2,200, same year but with 131,000 miles. I understand that this is far less important than is usually made out but seems a bit on the high side. My Fiesta has over 130,000 though, and the engine is fine, it's everything else that isn't.

Used car prices have increased since 2009, perhaps by 20%.

Used car prices have increased since 2009, perhaps by 20%.

Car-graph-18.jpg

(source: SMMT)

Presumably used car price growth has a negative correlation with the new car registrations growth of three or four years prior? So over the next couple of years, shouldn't prices drop?

Car-graph-18.jpg

(source: SMMT)

Presumably used car price growth has a negative correlation with the new car registrations growth of three or four years prior? So over the next couple of years, shouldn't prices drop?

I don't know about new car registrations. Nice graph though. I know used car prices have gone up, which is worth taking into account when someone says they bought such and such for so many peanuts so many moons ago.

Saab 9-3 is a great car going really cheap as Saab doesn't exist anymore I believe.
Get a lot of car for under 3k but not sure about spares going forward

Does anyone have a Honda Civic?

Yep. its 12 years old and I bought it with 105,000 on the clock, only done another 10K but the thing is bulletproof, its a total scuzzbucket but everything works apart from the aircon (the condenser is in a really silly place just behind the bumper). Just make sure its had a cambelt replaced and avoid dealers and buy privately.

I think it's now between a Ford Focus C-Max, which has more boot capacity than the Civic, and the Civic, which has a good boot for a hatchback. I don't think the boot is big enough in a Golf or a standard Focus.

I'm sure you're all riveted :D

I think it's now between a Ford Focus C-Max, which has more boot capacity than the Civic, and the Civic, which has a good boot for a hatchback. I don't think the boot is big enough in a Golf or a standard Focus.

I'm sure you're all riveted :D
Probably right, the boot in the golf will fit three holdall type bags and a few more things on top , luckily we have the back seat for the rest of our holiday stuff

Civic is excellent. Mine is a 57 plate 1.8 auto - you're right the rear visibility isn't great but apart from that it's spot on. The auto gearbox is quite strange in that it acts like a manual (long lazy shifts at low speed rather than the seamless shift with most autos) but it reacts to driving style. Replaced with a standard auto in later models, but I like it anyway.

Don't get the 1.4, not enough engine for the size of the car.

I had the 1.8 manual petrol Civic, 2007. Couldn't advise on what fuel type or transmission to get, but it was a lovely car. You get used to the rear view quickly enough, and it was reliable, funky and IMO great looking.

Got three landrovers,a Disco and and a Freelander both in daily use and a county ( tucked away for the winter) and an average weekly fuel bill of £ 50/60 per week plus high road tax.
Now I need to keep one for towing etc, but looking at EVs I can actually lease a leaf practically for free £ 153 PM, no fuel costs (ok a couple of quid for overnight charging) but public charge points are free, no road tax, minimal maintenance, no oil, coolant worries, my average daily mileage is well within the currents leafs mileage constraints.......I have got to be missing something ......no free lunches.. Right?

For the OP, Toyota Corollas aren't bad value for family cars, the estate version isn't too bulky looking either. I have a friend that swears by them.

I'd go for the Focus or Civic if I were you. Both are good cars, comfortable and drivable. The Honda will be very reliable but if things go wrong they are more expensive than the Ford is likely to be.

I'd not go for a diesel unless you are going to drive long distances. In the UK diesel is more expensive than petrol and, although you will get better mileage, this is insignificant compared to the cost, except at greater distances over a year. Additionally, diesels need more oil changes. They have a worse reputation for particulates and pollution.

Overall I'd say try the Focus and the Honda and decide that way.

Or look at an Astra. Cheap, reliable enough, nothing special, but will do the job.

Back
Top Bottom