Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was this 90s venue near Tottenham Ct Road?

Cloo

Approved by toads
On the day I got my A-level results (1996) I went to an indie club at a venue I've never been to before or since, the venue was underneath a hotel (I think) near Tottenha, Court Road, maybe underneath the St Giles Hotel? Very small, one room place, quite funkily fitted out IIRC and it was several floors underground - you accessed it by a lift or lots of stairs. I'm sure I didn't imagine it, but I can't remember for the life of me what the venue was called.

On the day I got my A-level results (1996) I went to an indie club at a venue I've never been to before or since, the venue was underneath a hotel (I think) near Tottenha, Court Road, maybe underneath the St Giles Hotel? Very small, one room place, quite funkily fitted out IIRC and it was several floors underground - you accessed it by a lift or lots of stairs. I'm sure I didn't imagine it, but I can't remember for the life of me what the venue was called.
You're not thinking of the little club under the Astoria?

Sounds like the astoria 2

I went to a place that sounds very much like that Cloo On the right hand side of Tottenham Court Road if you were heading towards Centreppint.

They had a Thursday night indie night that was very baggy-oriented called 061 I think. I remember being very starstruck because a couple of the Inspiral Carpets were in that night. I also saw Birdland (remember them lol) do a sort of secret gig there. Venue name totally escapes me though, sorry.

I also remember this club and in my indistinct but geographically pedantic memory it was definitely underneath whatever was opposite the mcdonalds and flying horse pub rather than round the corner under the astoria (which I knew very well and would have known that I was under).

I also remember this club and in my indistinct but geographically pedantic memory it was definitely underneath whatever was opposite the mcdonalds and flying horse pub rather than round the corner under the astoria (which I knew very well and would have known that I was under).
metro?
...was def a few flights down and was one room.

I went to a place that sounds very much like that Cloo On the right hand side of Tottenham Court Road if you were heading towards Centreppint.

They had a Thursday night indie night that was very baggy-oriented called 061 I think. I remember being very starstruck because a couple of the Inspiral Carpets were in that night. I also saw Birdland (remember them lol) do a sort of secret gig there. Venue name totally escapes me though, sorry.

I used to go to a Saturday metal night there called the Hellfire Club. I vaguely remember the place being called Browns?

metro?
...was def a few flights down and was one room.
That name rings a bell. I only went once in approx 1990 or 1991. There was some big new important song that I heard for the first time there but can't remember now.

That name rings a bell. I only went once in approx 1990 or 1991. There was some big new important song that I heard for the first time there but can't remember now.
I would have been there once or twice in 98 or 99 or so. No idea when it opened / closed, or whether it changed hands a few times.

It's not LA2, Borderline or the one next to the Astoria where Ultimate B.A.S.E was for a bit

Metro sounded likely, it's a name that came up when I looked for former clubs in that specific area, but apparently it was Oxford St. This was definitely off TCR

My guess is this is somewhere that didn't exist for very long or ever have any well known night at it.

In 2004, I went to the after party for Le Tigre at Ghetto – a small underground gay bar opposite the Astoria, directly opposite Centrepoint. Ring any bells?

1689770632761.png

1689770682296.png

sounds like RAW club under the YMCA
used to be a top jungle night there bitd
was deep underground had to walk down loads of stairs

2e08e3d4-6e39-47c2-9ef8-0239f0de36f0.jpg

Last edited:
memory hazy as only went there once but you had to walk down the car park stairs...or was it the next set of doors where the bus is - flash of yellow?
Opera Snapshot_2023-07-19_161923_www.google.com.png

i seem to remember leopard print pattern painted on the walls going down

likely the site of what is now called Zedwells Undergound Hotel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom