Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to see and do in Leeds?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
I'm popping over to Leeds, need to get some new spectacles and the nearest optician that has the ones I saw online that I like is in Leeds.

Coincidentally, Facebook showed me an event in Leeds, so I thought I'd stay overnight in a hotel with a swimming pool.

So tonight I'm going to this:

BOLD AS BRASS - AFRODESIA + KLONK + FLAT MOON + KANAVU​

At the Hyde Park Book Club in Headingly.

Then tomorrow I'm going to the optician to get my eyes tested and order my specs.

What else should I see or do? And where would you recommend I eat? I'll be staying fairly central at the Crowne Plaza Leeds, so somewhere nice for brunch or lunch on Saturday?

Gallery or museum recommendations? Anything interesting or quirky?

Empire Cafe doe a great brunch The Empire Cafe
Eat Your Greens great too Eat Your Greens - Good Food. Good Wine. Good Times
Both in city centre so easy for you to get to. Also plenty of food stalls at Kirkgate Market

Leeds-Liverpool Canal and River Aire are great to walk along, quite a lot of wildlife for such an urban area. If you want to go a bit further you could go to Ilkley, see the moor and go to Betty's.

Leeds Art Gallery is pretty good has a good exhibition on Nothing Lasts Forever: Peter Mitchell - Leeds Art Gallery
And the Henry Moore Institute has this exhibition on that looks interesting, although I've not been yet (thinking of doing so tomorrow, so maybe we'll pass each other)
Sculpting Royalty: Hew Locke and Mary Thornycroft | The Henry Moore Institute

If you had longer I'd recommend the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and The Hepworth Gallery but they are probably a bit far for just a day trip

If you're a fan of street art there is the Leeds Street Art Trail - see some art and something of the city

The other big museum is the National Armouries at Leeds Dock, not sure if that is your cup of tea?

Last edited:
I'm popping over to Leeds, need to get some new spectacles and the nearest optician that has the ones I saw online that I like is in Leeds.

Coincidentally, Facebook showed me an event in Leeds, so I thought I'd stay overnight in a hotel with a swimming pool.

So tonight I'm going to this:

BOLD AS BRASS - AFRODESIA + KLONK + FLAT MOON + KANAVU​

At the Hyde Park Book Club in Headingly.

Then tomorrow I'm going to the optician to get my eyes tested and order my specs.

What else should I see or do? And where would you recommend I eat? I'll be staying fairly central at the Crowne Plaza Leeds, so somewhere nice for brunch or lunch on Saturday?

Gallery or museum recommendations? Anything interesting or quirky?
Leeds is a bit shit for visitors, imo. It's a great city to live in, but it's not got many must see attractions.

The museums redsquirrel mentioned are all good, though for something a little different there's the Thackray Medical Museum.

If you do go to the market, the original Marks and Spencers site has a little stall there. Not worth going out of your way for, but a little bit of local history I guess.

Two of the oldest cinemas in the country are both within walking distance of Hyde Park Book club.

Hyde Park Picture House shows much better films, and has recently had a facelift (keeping all the nice original features).

I don't know if it is open yet, but Headingley Bear Pit has recently been restored and they're going to open it to the public (without the bears, of course!)

Kirkstall Abbey is nice for a sunny day out. They sometimes have a farmer's market on a weekend - Kirkstall Abbey - Leeds Museums & Galleries

If you do go to the Art Gallery make sure you visit the Tile Cafe.
Food not amazing TBH, but coffee decent and venue is great

FCshDC8XMAUoIBR

I don't know if you're a beer drinker AnnO'Neemus?
But even if you're not you should think about visiting the "beating heart of Leeds" Whitelocks - if you can get a seat

If you are a beer drinker - spoilt for choice! Lots of local breweries and taprooms and the like (unless they have all closed down now!)

Tapped is good for beers n pizza

Brownhill & Co nice for a relaxed beer

Northern Monk Refectory for some crazy beers and a mini canal stroll

Bundobust for great Indian street food and beer (there's one in Manchester too)

Good coffee n cake and lunch/brunch at Mrs Athas on Central Road

You could head over to Kirkstall Abbey for a look at that - head to Dave's Pies and Ale for some refreshments/refuel on the way back into town

If you are a beer drinker - spoilt for choice! Lots of local breweries and taprooms and the like (unless they have all closed down now!)

You could head over to Kirkstall Abbey for a look at that - head to Dave's Pies and Ale for some refreshments/refuel on the way back into town
Brew Society too

And if you fancy somewhere a little more lively there is the Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen Belgrave Music Hall & Canteen

I've just checked and there are gigs* on at Kirkstall Abbey this weekend, so not the best time to visit. Probably all fenced off :(

*Madness, Embrace and a comedy festival.

Food

If you like Thai food, Leeds has a disproportionate amount of amazing Thai places for its size.

My favourite is one of the cheapest and it's really casual and they serve the food quickly, so perfect for lunch.

There's also Thai Aroy Dee, which is probably cheaper still, but more of a go with a group of friends kind of place. Not very nice ambience, but apparently authentic Thai food (I've never been to Thailand so can't comment).

There are loads of others, but they're more high end/pricey, and probably not ideal for a quick brunch/lunch stop.

In the market, you have plenty of food options, too. Including, of course, more Thai food (seriously, I don't know why there are so many here):

And Majit's Kitchen is ace veggie Indian street food:

I would never normally choose pasta when eating out, but Sarto is pretty amazing:

And there's plenty more if you want more recommendations in a specific area or cuisine!

If anyone else is here, say Hi. I'm the billy no mates woman wearing an emerald green blouse and navy blue pin strip wide leg linen trousers, white sneakers and black cross-body handbag. Hair just past shoulder, dyed blonde. Wearing round gold-coloured specs. Currently on a break outside while they set up for Afrodesia downstairs.

Omg. Super friendly people, such good vibes. Lots of people ended up just randomly dancing together, twirling and laughing. So much fun.

And apparently Bold as Brass is going to be a monthly event from September. Catch it if you can.

Not a clue, last time I was told avoid the suspicious looking man at the park (why send us?) then that my cousin is a dumbass for running into a table. Now he works at microsoft so maybe not lol.

Both in city centre so easy for you to get to. Also plenty of food stalls at Kirkgate Market

Leeds-Liverpool Canal and River Aire are great to walk along, quite a lot of wildlife for such an urban area. If you want to go a bit further you could go to Ilkley, see the moor and go to Betty's.

Leeds Art Gallery is pretty good has a good exhibition on Nothing Lasts Forever: Peter Mitchell - Leeds Art Gallery
And the Henry Moore Institute has this exhibition on that looks interesting, although I've not been yet (thinking of doing so tomorrow, so maybe we'll pass each other)

If you had longer I'd recommend the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and The Hepworth Gallery but they are probably a bit far for just a day trip

If you're a fan of street art there is the Leeds Street Art Trail - see some art and something of the city

The other big museum is the National Armouries at Leeds Dock, not sure if that is your cup of tea?
I love (good) street art. Funnily enough, about 20-30 metres from Hyde Park Book Club, I saw a mural, and thought the style looked reminiscent of Polish artist who lived in Manchester Tankpetrol. (Love his work, I bought one of his prints a few years ago.) Then I looked closer and it is one of Tankpetrol's works! Small world! IMG-20240726-WA0005~2.jpg

Last act Afrodesia were brilliant, very danceable, jazzy, salsa-y, African vibes, even the foot-tappy jazz cool cats started busting some moves.

My son's fiancee works there.

I went to Eat Your Greens for lunch, because it was close-ish to the opticians. I had the eggy bread with beans. They arrived totally smothered in chopped spring onions, which weren't mentioned in the description, which said 'herbs'. I had to faff about taking them all off and putting them in the glass I'd been given for the tea bag. The server pulled her face at the contents of the glass. I mean, if the menu had said 'onions' I'd have known to ask them to hold the onions. 🤷‍♀️

And then after eating, I had a quick look round the shop bit. I picked up two magazines to buy and as I started to walk round to the counter to pay for them, the woman came dashing over and I had to say 'I'm coming to pay for them, I'm not stealing them!'. Really weird and hostile way to be treating a customer who's just eaten and paid for lunch and who's about to pay £32 for two artsy magazines!

Might try the Empire Cafe next time or one of the other suggestions.

I'd love to go to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park one day, but I have to pass my driving test and get a car first!

Sadly, I didn't plan and organise my last trip very well, I was already on the train on the way over when it occurred to me to ask the urban collective. I'd already planned to go to the gig, then planned to have a swim in the hotel pool on Saturday morning, then do lots of interesting things. It didn't pan out like that, because by the time I got to the opticians and asked them to fit me in, I had a couple of hours to get some lunch before going back to the opticians. Then the easiest thing to do was go and see a movie - Deadpool and Wolverine, which was funny -grab a bite to eat, but I was hungry so had steak frites at Carter and Miller, nothing special, then catch the train home.

However, I have to go back to collect my new specs and have them fitted. I don't know whether to come and stay on Friday, 9 August or Saturday, 10 August, so am looking for gigs or theatre stuff on the Friday or Saturday night. I'm going to make a list of the places suggested and mark them on a map so I can better plan my trip.

Btw, not a beer drinker, I prefer wine; my worst nightmare is when I go in a pub/bar and ask what wine they have and they reply 'red, white or rose'. * shudders *

Back
Top Bottom