Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to do with LOADS of leftover food I can't eat?

I hosted xmas for 10 but my my mum advised on food shopping plus brought tons of stuff herself.

There's no way I can eat it all before it goes bad. I hadn't realised how much there was :(

What can I do with it? It's things like cold meats/salad so can't be frozen.

See if there is a local soup kitchen open to you? The big one here in Brum is remaining open 24 hours a day from christmas eve until new years day, you may have local ones doing similar.

They might be able to take it on and I'm sure it would get used.

Cold meats can be frozen :) cured meat can't but others can :)

Salad, well, put it out for the birds!!

I made a massive pie with lots of the turkey leftovers and having people over. That and freezing some of the roasties for a defrost tomorrow and then a re-roast. Otherwise, the birds!

I hosted xmas for 10 but my my mum advised on food shopping plus brought tons of stuff herself.

There's no way I can eat it all before it goes bad. I hadn't realised how much there was :(

depends what you've got.

cooked meat, just freeze it.

cureds meats, can freeze for a short time as they are. as in a month to 6 weeks apparently. any longer and the taste seriously degrades apparently, i'd probably prefer to use them in something like pasta sauce/stew after freezing.

hard cheese will freeze.

i've frozen soft cheese based pasta sauce bfore now. wasn't as nice as fresh, but was edible

toms, roast them, then freeze.

and i've used excess salad leaves as an alternative to spinich before now in cooked recipies.

See if there is a local soup kitchen open to you? The big one here in Brum is remaining open 24 hours a day from christmas eve until new years day, you may have local ones doing similar.

They might be able to take it on and I'm sure it would get used.

Where is that? I've got a box of veg that's going to go to waste if it's not used soon.

Where is that? I've got a box of veg that's going to go to waste if it's not used soon.
St George's Hub in Newtown - there is a website here (http://www.birminghamchristmasshelter.org/pages/find-us.html). :)
But bear in mind:

Food
  • We also welcome donations of sealed/unopenned packets of snacks, crisps, chocolates, cakes, tea, coffee (de-caf), sugar that are all in date over the christmas period.
  • Some of our guests have dogs, so tins of dog food and treats are welcome too (dog leads and toys too!)
  • Please note that we are not able to accept any homemade food or food without a use by date.

Soup kitchen is definitely the best idea.
As others have said, leftover salad will be appreciated by many species of bird, if you live near water then ducks and geese are well geared up to eat lettuce and leafy greens as they are not that different to the fresh-water plants that they forage and is a darn sight better for them than bread, and garden birds will also appreciate various bits of it. If you still have greens left over then local wildlife charities or small-pet rescues might be grateful.

Hard cheeses can be frozen - it does change the texture a little (becomes a bit drier/more crumbly when frozen and defrosted) but it's a good way to store it if you have such a glut that it's in danger of not being eaten whilst it's at its best.

Give it to me.

we have 7 large dogs..

we dont have a problem with leftover food

I don't imagine you do :D
Unfortunately it doesn't work quite the same way with cats, even if they will eat vegetable matter in the first place, it tends to go straight through them. :oops: They're one of the most carnivorous animals and have a very short intestinal tract, and as such make for very poor waste disposal :D

Meat and veg soup, freeze it in placcy tubs.

This too, even veg that do not freeze well can be fine in frozen soups. Potatoes and leeks are not known for doing great in the freezer, but cook them up into leek and potato soup and it will be fine frozen, I do it myself regularly. Root veg (carrot, parsnip, turnip etc.) can be cut into chunks, parboiled, and then frozen. Potatoes can be boiled and mashed then form them into patties with a bit of chopped onion or whatever you like in hash browns or similar baked method, then put in the freezer ready to be baked or fried from frozen. A head of celery can keep for around 3 weeks stood in a pint glass of cold water in the door of the fridge, it goes soggy when it's frozen because the high water content forms crystals and breaks down the cell structure, but it is still OK to use in cooking.

moomoo - let Urban know what you have, and I am sure you will get loads of suggestions for what can be frozen and what needs to be done to it to keep it best in the freezer. :D

Christmas Pie?

many different versions, but in esence its all the leftovers shredded and baked into a hot-water pastry pie (think pork pie..). it will last an age in the freezer, or a week or so in the fridge and used as lunch.

soup is the easiest option, easy to do, easy to sub-divide into required portions, and will last forever in the freezer.

Christmas Pie?

many different versions, but in esence its all the leftovers shredded and baked into a hot-water pastry pie (think pork pie..). it will last an age in the freezer, or a week or so in the fridge and used as lunch.

soup is the easiest option, easy to do, easy to sub-divide into required portions, and will last forever in the freezer.
I'm going to make this: http://www.staceysnacksonline.com/2013/12/curried-chicken-or-turkey-pie.html

I don't like soup very much :oops:

Know anyone who keeps hens?

Ours thrive on leftover ham, beef and lamb (ignoring all use by dates). But not poultry...

Get nice fresh eggs in return.

byva8u5e.jpg
ubyga5y5.jpg
sujaqahe.jpg

It's bloody lush :cool:

Thanks for the idea kebabking

Back
Top Bottom