Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to do with leftover beef?

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
It's somewhat tough - thought I'd bought topside, but it was silverside and I couldn't cook it as slow as I wanted, so I have a big lump of tasty but tough beef to use in something? What? Preferably something that doesn't take too long, cos I'll be cooking after 9pm for all the next week

I was at a loss for this too, all I done was made up some really rich gravy (put horseradish and everything in the gravy), put it in the pan, sliced the beef into 0.5cm slices and put the beef in the pan too, let it simmer for 30-60 mins and the beef took loads of moisture in and was a lot more tender and edible :)

Served it with roasts or mash and some veg.

Bit of a bodge but it worked.

Or what Dodgers said, pop over to the Chinese place in the Market, get some curry paste, roughly chop some onions, throw in some peas and mushrooms and your beef.

Beef Hash - chop it up small, mix with mash, fry. (other stuff can be added like onions)
serve with vegetables and chutney or brown sauce

Beef croquettes - usually made with leftover curried roast beef:

Croquettes
Ingredients:
1 kg minced mutton or beef
2 onions, cut fine
2 red chillies (dried)
4 green chillies, de-seeded
10 cloves
1 inch piece ginger
8 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
2 slices bread
2 eggs
1 cup water
½ cup of breadcrumbs
1 cup of oil for frying

Method:
Mix the meat, onion, chillies, cloves, garlic, ginger and salt and pepper with 1 cup of water. Put in a pan on moderate heat and stir cook till all the water has been absorbed and the meat is dry. Grind meat fine in a blender. Soak the bread in water for 5 minutes. Squeeze dry and add to the meat along with 1 egg, lightly beaten. Form the meat into cocktail-type sausage shapes. Beat the remaining egg and dip each croquette into the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a frying pan on a moderate flame and fry the croquettes to a golden brown color. Cool. You should get about 30 croquettes.

You could adapt this recipe. My mum just uses semolina instead of egg and breadcrumbs to coat the croquettes.

Make a Thai style dressing and mix into the very thinly sliced beef, some cold, cooked rice noodles, spring onions, finely sliced red pepper, toasted sesame seeds and lots of fresh coriander.

Peel and chop up a pile of tatties, chop up an onion, chop up some beef, chuck it all in the pot add water, herbs and garlic(this is my choice not traditional) and boil til tatties are done.
This is called stovies up here, it sometimes has other veg in it, it's entirely up to you, what you or don't add. The beef should soften up with the extra water/cooking.
Oatcakes are a good thing to go with this.

Only the thread-starter can now. Except sometimes I can see the 'edit tags' link on a thread I haven't started. So I'm not sure.

Peel and chop up a pile of tatties, chop up an onion, chop up some beef, chuck it all in the pot add water, herbs and garlic(this is my choice not traditional) and boil til tatties are done.
This is called stovies up here, it sometimes has other veg in it, it's entirely up to you, what you or don't add. The beef should soften up with the extra water/cooking.
Oatcakes are a good thing to go with this.

This plus loads of other veg and pearl barley and simmer it slow. Beef stew, will be very thick and tasty and moist.

Do you have a cat? There is no such thing as left over anything when you have a cat.

whizz it in the food processor with some onion, garlic, herbs, allspice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Warm it in a frying pan and eat it in pittas with yoghurt sauce. Hey presto - beef shawarma!

I usually do that with leftover lamb

Beef stew/hotpot/cassarole

That will make tough beef nice and soft,once it's been in the sauce for an hour or so. :) Just chop up some carrots,onions,mushrooms,tomatos and cook the fucker :cool:

you can make 1 large pot up,and then reheat it as you need it.

Are all these recipes for cooked beef? It's been cooked already in case that wasn't clear

when evr we have leftover roast beef,we cassarole it,or make a stew or something. It's the perfect thing to do with leftover beef. All you need is a cassarole mix for the sauce and a few veg. Stick it in a big dish and cook it for an hour or so. Do some chips with it or something,then all you've got to worry about is cooking the chips,cos the main meal bit is done.

Back
Top Bottom