Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What Shall I Do With..? (Cooking/recipe inspiration thread)

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
For when you have an item or a few ingredients and need some ideas about what to cook that uses them!

I'll go first, but I hope others find the thread useful - if you can't quite decide what to do with x ingredient(s) and want some suggestions please post and let the collective culinary minds of Urban solve your dilemma!

I am looking for ideas for Plums

I bought 8 lovely looking plums yesterday as they were a bit of a bargain, now I don't tend to eat fruit "as is" (with the exception of grapes, lychees and cherries, which I can happily scoff all day), but I do like fruity desserts.

I've considered:
-Plum crumble and custard - possible going to be a bit warm for that
-Stewed with sugar and brandy or rum and served with custard or ice cream - ideas for spices to add to this would be welcome

Any other suggestions also welcome! Except clatoufis, which would seem like the obvious summer suggestion to me, but OH thinks it's "interesting" ie isn't keen on it.

I have all the usual store cupboard/basic baking stuff.

Last edited:
Plum compote
The good thing about compote is after the sugar, fruit and water you can mess around with other flavours depending what spices etc..you have.

Oh and I alwsys feel caster sugar is optional, granulated is fine just needs a little longer to dissolve

Plum compote
The good thing about compote is after the sugar, fruit and water you can mess around with other flavours depending what spices etc..you have.

Fantastic, I was thinking star anise would go particularly well with plums - will have to sneak it past the OH (he's a fussy bugger tbf) but that would go lovely with the ice cream that we have in the freezer!

For when you have an item or a few ingredients and need some ideas about what to cook that uses them!

I'll go first, but I hope others find the thread useful - if you can't quite decide what to do with x ingredient and want some suggestions please post and let the collective culinary minds of Urban solve your dilemma!

I am looking for ideas for Plums

I bought 8 lovely looking plums yesterday as they were a bit of a bargain, now I don't tend to eat fruit "as is" (with the exception of grapes, lychees and cherries, which I can happily scoff all day), but I do like fruity desserts.

I've considered:
-Plum crumble and custard - possible going to be a bit warm for that
-Stewed with sugar and brandy or rum and served with custard or ice cream - ideas for spices to add to this would be welcome

Any other suggestions also welcome! Except clatoufis, which would seem like the obvious summer suggestion to me, but OH thinks it's "interesting" ie isn't keen on it.

I have all the usual store cupboard/basic baking stuff.

Some kind of hoisin sauce?

Brush them with egg white, then roll them in sugar or caster sugar, then bake in oven for a while, result: sugar plums. You'll still have to find something to 'go' with them, though.

Last edited:
Epona how about a German plum cake, like this one which was the first recipe I found but haven’t used myself

Epona how about a German plum cake, like this one which was the first recipe I found but haven’t used myself
Pedant mode on: Zwetschken are damson plums and not the red, round plums.
Very good suggestion Saunders 😊. Personally I think it’s the cake of gods. Especially in the autumn.

That looks absolutely amazing and is kind of a bit cake and a bit crumble. And yeah they are damsons but round plums would work just as well - mine are just at a perfect point to use now. Will have to make a decision today I think :D

As I am having difficulty deciding I think I'll describe the options to OH and see what he fancies. (I suspect the answer to that will be "custard" though, what goes with that is kind of secondary :D )

Last edited:
OK I've got another one.

Sultana Scones - (x3) purchased on yellow sticker a couple of days ago then forgotten about, a bit stale but not mouldy
Slightly wrinkly apples - (x6) they are getting on a bit but would still be ok for cooking

Any ideas for using the above? Together would be good - maybe some sort of scone and apple bread and butter pudding type of thing?

(I am out of room in the freezer atm).

OK I've got another one.

Sultana Scones - (x3) purchased on yellow sticker a couple of days ago then forgotten about, a bit stale but not mouldy
Slightly wrinkly apples - (x6) they are getting on a bit but would still be ok for cooking

Any ideas for using the above? Together would be good - maybe some sort of scone and apple bread and butter pudding type of thing?

(I am out of room in the freezer atm).
Some kind of apple cobbler? Or crumble, if they’re stale enough to crumb, dot a bit of butter over the top and and a generous scatter of sugar? I’m not good at bread and butter pudding but your suggestion sounds delicious with a sprinkle of cinnamon or without

Some kind of apple cobbler? Or crumble, if they’re stale enough to crumb, dot a bit of butter over the top and and a generous scatter of sugar? I’m not good at bread and butter pudding but your suggestion sounds delicious with a sprinkle of cinnamon or without

Oooh, using the scones as a sort of crumble topping could work, chopped up and with some sugar - great suggestion!

A bit late to the party but how about preserving them in Armagnac? Boozy plums are perfect for watching fireworks on chilly Autumnal evenings.

This is disgustingly delicious cake:

That would also go very well with ice cream and custard!

Back
Top Bottom