Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is the best method of protesting / bringing about lasting fundamental change?

Will2403

I apologise in advance for starting this thread and being a noob as far as this stuff goes, but its been playing on my mind a bit and I didn't see a thread about it. I hope its not too wishy washy! :)

It's been proved that marches from A to B achieve the square root of fuck all.

Riot's obviously doesn't achieve anything except adding new chapters to your criminal record.

Short occupations don't achieve anything beyond a bit of publicity.

UKUncut actions worked well for publicity, but what did they achieve beyond that?

It seems obvious that large numbers of people amassed in a significant location over a prolonged period of time is the way to go. It's been a useful first phase of the Egyptian revolution, but then what good is it if the systems remain in place?

Is there anyway for peaceful people power to be effective?

Surely if there was ever a time, then its now, never better to organise and get people from all walks of life and all locations involved in actions.

Can the various protest groups be united behind a cause that is linked to their cause, and perhaps more accurately targets the root of the problem?

Haha, ok, I can't get away from it. I still think the peaceful City of London protest is the way to go, but seriously, what are some other options, is it all just futile?

It's not just about methods, it's about numbers. for fundamental change you need a mass movement.. and a variety of tactics.. something for everyone.

UK Uncut actions were important in opening the first chink in the "there is no alternative" argument, and although far from the only factor was, I would argue, part of what caused a fall in government approval / cuts approval around the end of 2010.. part of a wider movement.

Hetherington Glasgow occupiers did well though:
http://freehetherington.wordpress.c...re-victory-as-glasgow-university-sit-in-ends/

You know what; it's fucking there - it got a dozen or so replies - mostly stupid and that was that.

Can't find it but prob not as prosaic as yours, so go for it.

Cut out the middle man ey?

I've got arms but no army.

And when I say arms, I mean the ones attached to my shoulders :(

Well I'd assumed that the only real way is to get the little old ladies out on the street as with the veal protests in 1995. I did see someone on a recent thread give several other successful examples of mass actions, though, but I forget what they were :(

depends on (among other things I daresay)

Your skills and aptitudes.

Your experience

Your confidence

But generally I say start with your street and neighbourhood and build from there as you gain success and confidence.

The chances of you changing the world are slim

The chances of you changing your neighbourhood are actually pretty high.

Don't expect anything like instant results - work for change because it will be worth it, even if you don't get to see it. IMHO one person at a time, one act at a time, one word at a time, we change the world.

Start with small things that affect your daily life and that of people you know like unpaid wages and lack of repairs, WIN some small victories and build experience confidence and numbers, and expand your ambitions until you have the capacity for mass actions... This is what Seattle Solidarity Network has been doing for the past few years and similar groups are starting in many places...

relevant links - www.seasol.net
http://libcom.org/library/why-you-should-start-solidarity-network
http://libcom.org/library/seasol-interview

we need a really radical leader that wants to overthrow Cameron....im not that person. If any Urbanite is brave enough i swear i can be powerful (humiliating tory people for example i do it in business and they loathe me in my work as a journalist - that is why i survive) if anyone needs my help PM me.

we need a really radical leader that wants to overthrow Cameron....im not that person. If any Urbanite is brave enough i swear i can be powerful (humiliating tory people for example i do it in business and they loathe me in my work as a journalist - that is why i survive) if anyone needs my help PM me.
I'd love to live on your planet for just one day.

i CANNOT DO ANYTHING....but i will definitely sacrifice my job and maybe even life (!) if it might mean the liberation of millions of Londoners from this vicious government. I am 33.

I reckon the best way of getting rid of cameron (and clegg) would be a nationwide campaign of egging. After about the 5th or 6th egging in a row he'd be a complete laughing stock and would have lost all his authority and the government would fall apart... maybe.

i CANNOT DO ANYTHING....but i will definitely sacrifice my job and maybe even life (!) if it might mean the liberation of millions of Londoners from this vicious government. I am 33.
That's so reassuring THANKYOU for your solidarity.

I reckon the best way of getting rid of cameron (and clegg) would be a nationwide campaign of egging. After about the 5th or 6th egging in a row he'd be a complete laughing stock and would have lost all his authority and the government would fall apart... maybe.

After the 3rd they'd probably bring back capital punishment for it.

Back
Top Bottom