Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Weird alt-universe story with mid nineteen-nineties production values with some well-known acting talent. Enjoyed it a lot.
Much as I'd love to see a big budget remake, it has that Doctor Who thing where the low budget is part of the charm.
I first saw it as a PAL->NTSC VHS conversion, for added grainy shitness.

Much as I'd love to see a big budget remake, it has that Doctor Who thing where the low budget is part of the charm.
I first saw it as a PAL->NTSC VHS conversion, for added grainy shitness.
There's a good radio version of it (and book and graphic novel) as well.

Haven't seen the telly version for years. Have an unopened DVD, one of these days will treat/terrify self to a viewing.

Watched Prime Suspect season 1 and 2. Gave up half the way through season 3 as it was a bit silly. Can't be accused of choosing easy story lines: sexism, racism, child abuse etc. The first season was bold for its time, and it felt like there was a drop in standard after that.

Manhunt (the Martin Clunes vehicle) well put together and the second season was even better than the first.

Finished the Dune miniseries from 2000. Bit of a slog.

Comments online claiming it's the best adaptation are either wading in nostalgic or just plain trolling.

Cruella. Third if not fourth viewing, and it remains a great watch, and a perfect Sunday film. Emma Thompson is just superlative in this, and alone worth the repeat viewings.

Past Lives. Debut by director Celine Song. About a love triangle involving a Korean immigrant, her childhood sweetheart and her American husband.

Finished season one of A Very Peculiar Practice over the weekend. I hadn't noticed how much the V-C character looked like Neil Kinnock. Also had great fun spotting the Birmingham locations.

Dry Summer - Another film from the World Cinema Project, this time from 1963 Turkey. Absolutely great. The plot is nothing special, a farmer refuses to share the water from the spring on his land with his neighbours while lusting after his brothers wife. But the way it is told keeps an incredible tension and feel - primal and epic despite it only running 90 minutes. Somehow the actor playing the villain keeps the character real even when he is - literally - twirling his moustache in villainy. And it looks and sounds fabulous.

Last edited:
David Brent - Life On the Road

Lacks the charm of The Office and Brent is such an unlikable character it's difficult to care. That said, some good support from Doc Brown and one or two amusing moments. 5/10.

Tampopo

The ramen western. There's a lot here that doesn't even make sense, as it jumps from main story to vignette all over the place. But I had a smile on the entire time. It's delightful.

In the Mood for Love.

A captivating, tender and very human portrayal of an unrequited - or not perhaps - love in 60s Hong Kong. Missed opportunities, restraint and temptation, mirrored conversations.

Beautifully shot, and complemented by a superb soundtrack - the main theme which featured throughout the film was haunting.

In the Mood for Love.

A captivating, tender and very human portrayal of an unrequited - or not perhaps - love in 60s Hong Kong. Missed opportunities, restraint and temptation, mirrored conversations.

Beautifully shot, and complemented by a superb soundtrack - the main theme which featured throughout the film was haunting.
❤️

Whenever I watch that, I lust after Maggie Cheung's beautiful outfits. And noodles. :oops:

❤️

Whenever I watch that, I lust after Maggie Cheung's beautiful outfits. And noodles. :oops:
One of the notes I scribbled down as the credits rolled were her costumes. vibrant and passionate floral designs while she herself remains restrained.

Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom