Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Paper Tigers. A 2020 martial arts action comedy about three unfit middle aged men and former teenage friends and kung fu prodigies who decide to reunite and try to solve the mysterious circumstances in which their former Kung fu teacher dies.

We fancied a decent action comedy film yesterday and googled suggestions, and this was actually top of one list. Actually very good, one of the bests of the genre.

Last edited:
The Yellow Rolls Royce.

Me; is that the woman who was the witch in the Wizard of Oz?

Mrs Idris: that's Joyce Grenfell

Me; that looks like Ingrid Bergman but surely it can't be her?

Mrs Idris: that is Ingrid Bergman.

Yes, this is one of those movies with everyone in it: Ingrid B., Joyce G., and Alain Delon, Shirley Maclaine, Rex Harrison, Jeanne Moreau, George C. Scott, and Omar Sharif.

The gimmick in this portmanteau movie is in the title: initially bought by an aristocratic English FO type, the eponymous motor vehicle then passes into the hands of a Chicago gangster holidaying in Italy, before winding up being owned by Ingrid Bergman's neutral American who gets caught up in the German invasion of Yugoslavia. From 1964, it feels more a 1950s flick, but it all worked surprisingly well - Bergman and Sharif were particularly good, but the whole team did the business and did it well. Recommended.

The Yellow Rolls Royce.

Yes, this is one of those movies with everyone in it: Ingrid B., Joyce G., and Alain Delon, Shirley Maclaine, Rex Harrison, Jeanne Moreau, George C. Scott, and Omar Sharif.

The gimmick in this portmanteau movie is in the title: initially bought by an aristocratic English FO type, the eponymous motor vehicle then passes into the hands of a Chicago gangster holidaying in Italy, before winding up being owned by Ingrid Bergman's neutral American who gets caught up in the German invasion of Yugoslavia. From 1964, it feels more a 1950s flick, but it all worked surprisingly well - Bergman and Sharif were particularly good, but the whole team did the business and did it well. Recommended.
Sounds good!

Is it on streaming or YouTube?

The Yellow Rolls Royce.

My parents had a friend in Jersey (of course) with a yellow Rolls Royce. I don't think he was Rex Harrison

Jane Birkin has died. Some nice photos of her over the years here

The two films she made with Agnes Varda - Jane B For Agnès V and Kung Fu Master - are both interesting works and probably the best things I've seen her in.
BFI Obituary of Birkin here

The year of Slogan Birkin also appeared in Jacques Deray’s thriller La Piscine, where her androgynous gamine look contrasted with the more womanly eroticism of Romy Schneider. Generally, Birkin’s film career divides along two strands. She appeared in a string of domestic comedies, such as Claude Zidi’s La moutarde me monte au nez (1974) and La Course à l’échalote (1975), both co-starring Pierre Richard, in which she deploys a zany, faux naif, persona in her trademark accent. These films certainly never made the international festival circuit, but they cemented her bond with French audiences, along with television appearances; she became a household name. While making popular films, she moved into auteur cinema, after Gainsbourg’s own Je t’aime, moi non plus (1976), about a bisexual ménage à trois co-starring Joe Dallesandro.

She began to appear in Jacques Doillon’s intimist, tormented dramas, such as La Fille prodigue (1981). She and Doillon started a relationship and had a daughter, Lou Doillon, born 1982. Over the years Birkin worked with Jacques Rivette (La Belle Noiseuse, 1991; Around a Small Mountain, 2009), Jean-Luc Godard (Soigne ta droite, 1987), Alain Resnais (On connaît la chanson, 1997) and, most interestingly, Agnès Varda. In Jane B. by Agnès V. (1988) Varda explores not only ‘Jane B.’ but the visual construction of femininity in our culture. She also cast Birkin in Kung Fu Master (1988), alongside her own son, Mathieu Demy.

Also just spotted that Derek Malcolm has also died. I always was a bit on the fence about his criticism though I'm in furious agreement with him on
The increasing number of films and their extending length towards and beyond the two-hour mark became regular complaints of his.

Orang Utan, would you mind resharing a link to that site that tells you which streaming site etc you can find specific programmes/films on? Searched on this forum but can't find it! Thanks v much. :)

It's fantastic right..? Totally different to season one but still so very beautifully done. The young lass who plays the junior head chef is out of this world. The whole season's out there now.
Yep it is superb. I binged the whole lot over a week. Some of the single character episodes were incredible.

Wasn't feeling in a videogamey mood last night so on a whim watched Good Will Hunting. Never seen it before though I knew who was in it. Really enjoyed it, made me feel happy. Terrific performances all round.

Bottle Rocket. Wes Anderson’s first film. It’s a very decent directorial debut, but it’s striking how different it is from the rest of this films style-wise. I would have never guessed if I had watched it without knowing.

Extraction - Chris Hemsworth action flick that owes something to The Raid and John Wick.

Extraction 2 - more of the same. Would say that the first just pips this, as a bit jaded with Eastern European gangsters.

A Night at the Opera - The Marx Brothers (minus Zeppo) on board for a memorable theatrical experience. Groucho's rapid fire delivery on target in the first of the MGM era tales.

Back
Top Bottom