Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I Am Cuba (1964)

The lives of Cubans before and during the glorious revolution.

Absolutely stunning. One of the most beautifully shot films ever made.

Detachment (2011) Adrien Brody is a supply teacher in a failing school, with challenging students and burnout teachers. The film has a slightly whimsical low quality art film feel about it, but don't be deceived, it has a wealth of acting talent and was actually directed by the American History X director. I liked it because it gave a glimpse into how dysfunctional schools can be.

Spent the weekend on the Millenium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon tattoo etc.), Swedish TV version. Much better than I remembered it, and a million times better than any of the US films.

Kansas City Confidential.

Quite enjoyed this lively noir - four masked men rob a bank and then meet up in Mexico later on to split the haul, with only the big boss knowing who the four of them are. A patsy who was briefly arrested for the robbery tracks them down but who is Mr Big? Jack Elam and Lee Van Cleef are two of the masked men.

It brought to mind a few other films where the criminal gang either don’t know each other or use pseudonyms (or nicknames). Reservoir Dogs, The Taking of Pelham 123 and Inside Man. Probably loads more.

A Life Less Ordinary

1997 fantasy romance crime comedy. Ewan McGregor and Cameron Diaz star in a Danny Boyle misfire that has its moments. Unfortunately, not too many of them. The karaoke scene is nice, though.

Great supply from Delroy Lindo, Holly Hunter, Dan Hedaya, Stanley Tucci, and briefly, Tony Shaloub and Timothy Oliphant.

Always thought had seen it before, but turns out had read an installment or two in 2000AD.

Gosford Park (2001) Upstairs downstairs 1930's drama meets Agatha Christie murder mystery. Stars Richard E. Grant, Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, Stephen Fry, Charles Dance and others. Manages to combine a very subtle social commentary in an interesting crime-drama piece. Very much worth watching.

Quite enjoyed this lively noir - four masked men rob a bank and then meet up in Mexico later on to split the haul, with only the big boss knowing who the four of them are. A patsy who was briefly arrested for the robbery tracks them down but who is Mr Big? Jack Elam and Lee Van Cleef are two of the masked men.

It brought to mind a few other films where the criminal gang either don’t know each other or use pseudonyms (or nicknames). Reservoir Dogs, The Taking of Pelham 123 and Inside Man. Probably loads more.
I kinda like it, but it is so drab and slow, and the touches that resonated down the years since are so muted unless you are really looking for them.

ETA:

There's a pretty decent rip on the Internet Archive:

Last edited:
Battle Beyond the Stars

From the Roger Corman stable, this 1980 sci-fi pays homage to The Seven Samurai and Magnetic Seven. It also capitalises on the Star Wars phenomenon, badly.

In its favour, there a great James Horner score anticipating his later work on The Wrath of Khan. James Cameron works on the special effects (room for improvement) and John Sayles has a hand in the script.

Also watched Space Truckers and what a stinker it is. Dennis Hopper, Steven Dorff and Debi Mazar are truckers up against biomechanical soldiers a rapey pirate and corporate shenanigans. Charles Dance and George Wendt are also involved. Guess the Bray hospitality must have helped ease the awfulness.

Brought to you in 1996 by the director of Reanimator.

tapered by liking loki season 1 really

do not see it as death just a jump for Antman into another variant universe

also was that "he who remains"

Where Time Began/The Fabulous Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1978)

Kenneth More and annoying young lovers go down into the bowels of the planet and get into various scrapes and encounters. It's a film enjoyed many years back but Tbh, the 1959 version is far superior. The characters are constantly doing dense things that would have you tear your hair out. On the plus side, there's a peculiar side plot that involves time travel and cloning, but it's not really expanded upon.

What's Love Got to Do with it?

Angela Bassett is superb in this biopic of Tina Turner from 1993. Laurence Fishburne has the unenviable task of bringing to life the monstrous Ike, in this sometime difficult to watch drama.

At times, it feels like one of those made for TV films, and it's rushed, years just skipping by. Both Turners weren't happy with the script, apparently. Not surprised.

Tim Hunkin, best known for co-hosting The Secret Life of Machines and running a coin-op shop full of his marvelous mechanical contraptions has a YouTube series out on "Components", doing a bit of a deep dive into the use of chains, bearings, etc. Ruined a full morning's work, that.

Soderbergh's No Sudden Move (2021) also has criminals who do not know each other

Rewatching Aronofsky's Noah (2014). After so many Marvel movies, I keep expecting the rock-angels to make sarcastic little quips in Taika Waititi's voice.

Last edited:
antonioni's Blow Up. it's exactly the sort of thing i thought i'd like and i found it unwatchable. i hadn't counted on how much antipathy i feel for the swinging london stuff.

antonioni's Blow Up. it's exactly the sort of thing i thought i'd like and i found it unwatchable. i hadn't counted on how much antipathy i feel for the swinging london stuff.
Mike Leigh called it "a pile of pretentious crap".
Frankly I've just never got the duration of Antonioni, I mean I get the theme of the films, they often look great, they often have some good acting in them. But they all seem to believe (and lots of people seem to believe too) that they are far more deep, giving far more 'insight' into the human condition than they really do IMO.

The Dirty Dozen - The most 'Aldritchesque' of all Aldrich's films? It's a little bit overstuff, lacks that edge that his very best work had, but it is a good, entertaining, picture with a little more to it than nearly all the pictures that drew inspiration from it afterwards.

Moment to Moment - Jean Seberg is a lonely wife, who husband has left her alone with their son on the French Riviera. She starts to develop feelings for a young sailor after a chance encounter, and ends up in a mess. The film itself is a mess, the first part with the developing feelings of the two, with Seberg trying to balance her love for her husband with her attraction to this other man is done with some intelligence. Then the film flips and ends up trying to shoehorn some half-baked thriller element in. This part is just silly in a stupid way. Still the colours are wonderful.

Orders to Kill - a French resistance cell has lost 5 of its 9 members, they allies think they know who the leaker is and pull in a young American flier to train and send as a agent to kill the man. Quite a bit of suspension of disbelief is required but the film is a decent, often enjoyable little thriller. It could do with losing 15 minutes and being a little tighter, and it would have been interesting to see what say Lang could have down with it, rather than Asquith. But it is no wash out

Frieda - Rewatched this. Made in 1947, it's a question film, 'how do we deal with the Germans?' but a pretty good one for all that. David Farrar, a British pilot shot down over Germany is helped by a young German woman, Mai Zetterling, marries her (out of gratitude) and they escape back to England, where they have to deal with the feelings of his family, friends and community. There are some plot points that are constructed for dramatic license - Germany in 1944/45 must have been a doddle to escape from - but you can accept them without too much trouble. Zetterling steals the show, despite the part being underwritten, the camera adores her, she almost literally shines in some scenes. Bit of a underrated gem of UK films.

Mike Leigh called it "a pile of pretentious crap".
Frankly I've just never got the duration of Antonioni, I mean I get the theme of the films, they often look great, they often have some good acting in them. But they all seem to believe (and lots of people seem to believe too) that they are far more deep, giving far more 'insight' into the human condition than they really do IMO.

i read that it was far enough over budget that they had to cut something so they cut the backstory to the killing. well now what good is it ffs. it gives that "mysterious, deep" quality to leave things unexplained, maybe, but i didn't watch it for that. :snarl:

i read that it was far enough over budget that they had to cut something so they cut the backstory to the killing. well now what good is it ffs. it gives that "mysterious, deep" quality to leave things unexplained, maybe, but i didn't watch it for that. :snarl:
Perhaps you were watching it for the wrong reasons then?

Back
Top Bottom