Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Gun Crazy last night. Enjoyed it.

Hudsucker proxy tonight. Googled films that were good to cheer oneself up. This was the first on a list that appealed as didn’t seem to be a landfill romantic comedy starring two people who looked they could have been in Friends (although funnily enough it did feature a man and woman working together in an office at one point and falling for each other which is typical rom-com setup). Anyway I liked this, sort of a screwball comedy with a good cast and some funny lines. Paul Newman seemed to be playing his character as Clint too which I liked anyway.

Gun Crazy last night. Enjoyed it.

Hudsucker proxy tonight. Googled films that were good to cheer oneself up. This was the first on a list that appealed as didn’t seem to be a landfill romantic comedy starring two people who looked they could have been in Friends (although funnily enough it did feature a man and woman working together in an office at one point and falling for each other which is typical rom-com setup). Anyway I liked this, sort of a screwball comedy with a good cast and some funny lines. Paul Newman seemed to be playing his character as Clint too which I liked anyway.

Hudsucker Proxy is a favourite. Went to see it at the time and we all laughed ourselves stupid. The old fashioned way of the story but maxed up by the Coen Brothers, the Carter Burwell soundtrack, the Sam Raimi input and magnificent Jennifer Jason Leigh. Critic's were sniffy about it, iirc, but they were wrongly wrong.

Quest For Fire

Early man looks for fire, gets into scrapes and stuff. A young Ron Perlman, Everett McGill ((Twin Peaks) and Rae Dawn Chong (daughter of Tommy) star.

Entertaining nonsense from 1981. The documentary with an earnest Orson Welles is worth a look, if you like the film.

Quest For Fire

Early man looks for fire, gets into scrapes and stuff. A young Ron Perlman, Everett McGill ((Twin Peaks) and Rae Dawn Chong (daughter of Tommy) star.

Entertaining nonsense from 1981. The documentary with an earnest Orson Welles is worth a look, if you like the film.
I just remember being taken to watch it as a child and thinking it was total pants. I wonder what adult me would think?

Continuing my exploration into film noir last night was The Night of the Hunter

Wow. Loved the way it was shot. Robert Mitchum was so intimidating as the preacher. Those scenes of him on the horse along the top of the hill. Felt the performance of the child actors was brilliant.

What struck me the most was the magical ride down the river with the shots of nature.

Continuing my exploration into film noir last night was The Night of the Hunter

Wow. Loved the way it was shot. Robert Mitchum was so intimidating as the preacher. Those scenes of him on the horse along the top of the hill. Felt the performance of the child actors was brilliant.

What struck me the most was the magical ride down the river with the shots of nature.
Yes -amazingly Charles Laughton's only film that he directed..
Some interesting info here...

I just remember being taken to watch it as a child and thinking it was total pants. I wonder what adult me would think?
Wasn't allowed go see it back then. Mom decided it was rubbish, mind, she hated 2001 (the opening scene, especially, which must have been an influence on it).

Amazed to find that the film had Anthony Burgess and Desmond Morris as consultants for language and anthropology, respectively.

Tbh, it feels silly to begin with but after a bit, you just fall into it.

Detective Story. Kirk Douglas is an obsessed cop in this tight adaptation of a play ably directed by William Wyler which takes place during the early evening at a New York police station. The action moves quickly as criminals and victims come and go. Beautifully shot and paced.
Love me a bit of noir and I don't think I'm familiar with this will have to check it out. I echo Sue's suggestion of In a lonely place Bogart's finest performance.

Reactions: Sue
The French Dispatch

Similar style as The Grand Budapest Hotel but not as accessible. It's a Wes Anderson, so will always watch his output. Jeffrey Wright channels Orson Welles is a standout but reckon need to see it again, to totally get it.

Not as brutalising as I expected, actually. Which is not to say that it isn't emotionally intense, of course; just that anything made by Spielberg is going to be impeccably made and tailored to be accessible/digestible to the widest possible audience. Full of dignified power.

It was good for my son to see it, he was pretty quiet afterwards.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008) Frances McDormand vehicle set in Britain on the eve of WW2. Frances character is a down-and-out who has stumbled into the employ of a bright young thing navigating several love interests. A late twist added to what was generally a so-so film with a bit of an unconvincing rags-to-riches/love conquers all vibe.

A Hunting Accident

1978 Chekhov adaptation. Young village girl is the object of lustful desire by three posh blokes. Picnics, drunken singalongs, dead ducks and heartache ensue.

Strange, haunting and atmospheric USSR period drama.

I was hugely disappointed in The Square, just not very funny and nothing like as insightful as it thought it was (There's a lot of wankers in the art world. Really! Well blow me down that's not been said before).
Force Majere is on available on MUBI at the moment if you did not know
The Square is brilliant. It wouldn't have been as good as people say it is if it wasn't for THAT scene, but I thought that totally rescued it.

Triangle of Sadness on the other hand, well my (Filipina) missus loved it. I thought it was ok. Like a bludgeon to those of us steeped in politics but it really made some people think... I watched a few reviews afterwards and was a bit surprised people saw the main British lad as a protagonist...

The Forty First

Another Mosfilm, this time from 1956 dealing with Red Army survivors who capture a White Army officer. Takes place in the deserts of Kazakhstan and the Aral Sea (which is no more, apparently). A sniper with the Red Army and the officer are thrown together in adverse circumstances and a journey of discovery ensues.

We Are From Jazz

1983 comedy about a group of musicians trying to make jazz a thing in the Soviet Union. Easy going, amusing and a shame about the blackface scenes, though.

We Are From Jazz

1983 comedy about a group of musicians trying to make jazz a thing in the Soviet Union. Easy going, amusing and a shame about the blackface scenes, though.
1983 is pre-Gorby and pre-Glasnost. I would have thought Jazz was still "frowned upon" in those days.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one - did you find it online?

1983 is pre-Gorby and pre-Glasnost. I would have thought Jazz was still "frowned upon" in those days.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one - did you find it online?
It's on the YouTube, check out the Mosfilm channel. All classic Soviet films, most subtitled and restored. A real treat.

The film seems to be set in the 30s. It's titled "Jazzmen" there but think it goes by a few other titles like the one previously mentioned and "We Are Jazzmen"...

Rhino (2021) - bleak and crunchingly brutal Ukrainian film and it's nothing to do with the war (not obviously, at least) - a fairly standard gangster-death-spiral story but told with some real skill and creativity - there are a couple of amazing sequences where time does funny things (ellipsis, misdirection, and a fantastic opening where our antihero's youth is raced through in under 10 minutes and sweeps you right along). Then obviously things get darker - it's set in the chaotic, violent, mafya-ridden mid 90s, with all the old Soviet certainties are shattering and the hoods jockeying for power; our anti-hero is a smouldering slab of muscle with few redeeming features, no nicer friends and not a lot of charm. Plenty of violent mayhem ensues and there are many, many innocent victims. Like the man it's about, this gets slightly caught in the dead end: the sins and the crimes escalate relentlessly, you can't trust anyone, even your mates turn against you, what was it all for really, etc etc. Not an easy watch but a very long way from straight-to-DVD thug-sploitation - there ARE deeper thoughts here (other than just "a life of crime is likely to be short and painful and sure to rob you of your soul") but probably a lot of the nuance only really hits home for Ukrainians. It's lugubrious, not lurid - despite all the punching and shooting and nasty acts with hand tools. Worth a watch if you've a strong stomach and/or are very interested in filmic technique. Its director Oleh Sentsov has served several years in Russian prison for anti-Putin activism in the Donbas and is currently serving in the Ukrainian Army so obviously does know a few things about trauma first hand. Was on FilmFour, so likely to be re-run soon.

Human Desire (1954) carbon-dark film noir directed by Fritz Lang, with Gloria Grahame giving it the full go as a cheap, brassy twitchy-lipped femme fatale trying to get Glenn Ford (mildly sleazy demobbed serviceman back from WWII Japan) to bump off her husband, who's a MUCH older, ugly drunken lunk (played by Broderick Crawford with some tragic dignity). Bleak as all get out without being at all explicit. So much in here about mutual exploitation, men and women and using and abusing each other with no illusions. All about the cynicism. Not a true classic (there's honestly not much suspense in it, or specially great frames) but even by classic noir standards it's strikingly stark, casting a cold clear eye on pretty much everybody. (Although seen through today's eyes, Glenn Ford's character is a LOT more creepy than he was probably written to be at the time.) On Talking Pictures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom