Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Overall a fun ride. Gets a little too soppy and self-referential towards the end, but you're expecting that. I probably won't watch it 5x like its grandparent, but it was good enough.
Extra points to the team that put out the digital copy - since I bought the fancy telly, I've seen so much bad use of HDR it was an absolute treat to see it being used the way it should be.

The Lady Takes a Flyer

Lana Turner stars as a wartime ferry pilot who meets up with a bomber pilot and his mate: together they go back into the ferrying business, delivering army surplus planes around the world.

This being a fifties American flick however, marriage and motherhood await. The stresses and strains of that drive the last act, which features tense night landings in fog and the like.

Despite its proto-feminist leanings, a lost classic this is not. In fact, I'd leave it in the "don't bother" file.

I
I watched this again, because I showed it to a friend. This film appears to be divisive and I can see why some think this is a bad film but I believe the clunky dialogue and bad acting are intentional. Similar to what Stuart Gordon did with Re-Animator and From Beyond, this is a deadpan body-horror comedy. For an hour and a bit Malignant appears to be a middling horror film about a woman who shares a pysychic connection with a creepy serial killer. Then the last act reveales what or who its antagonist is, which leads into the most joyfully batshit last 30 minutes in recent cinema. Again I sat there with a big grin.
i couldn’t sleep last night so I watched this on my phone. :oops: Very enjoyable and deranged whatthefuckery! Great sets too - the underground bits and those overhead shots of her running about the house. Not exactly scary but that’s ok.
Might have to check out Wan’s other non-Saw horror movies

The Lady Takes a Flyer

Lana Turner stars as a wartime ferry pilot who meets up with a bomber pilot and his mate: together they go back into the ferrying business, delivering army surplus planes around the world.

This being a fifties American flick however, marriage and motherhood await. The stresses and strains of that drive the last act, which features tense night landings in fog and the like.

Despite its proto-feminist leanings, a lost classic this is not. In fact, I'd leave it in the "don't bother" file.
:( You first sentence got me quite interested.

The Invisible Woman - Not a horror film at all but a screwball comedy in which a profession model decides to volunteer to become invisible. John Barrymore stars as the mad professor. Certainly not in the first rank of screwball comedies - the leads are certainly no Jean Arthur, Carol Lombard or William Powell but it has some nice moments and packs everything into less than 90 minutes.

:( You first sentence got me quite interested.

The Invisible Woman - Not a horror film at all but a screwball comedy in which a profession model decides to volunteer to become invisible. John Barrymore stars as the mad professor. Certainly not in the first rank of screwball comedies - the leads are certainly no Jean Arthur, Carol Lombard or William Powell but it has some nice moments and packs everything into less than 90 minutes.
And your first sentence got me interested!

That Lana Turner film could have made a great 30s screwball comedy. I could see Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn as the leads: but by 1958, Hollywood had lost its screwball mojo.

And your first sentence got me interested!

That Lana Turner film could have made a great 30s screwball comedy. I could see Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn as the leads: but by 1958, Hollywood had lost its screwball mojo.
...but it really got its melodrama mojo on.

I haven't seen The Lady Takes a Flyer and don't doubt that it's no classic but a note of interest is that it was directed by Jack Arnold. He's most famous for directing several of the great 50s sci-fi movies, like The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Creature from the Black Lagoon and It Came from Outer Space.

Last edited:
Dragonwyck
Flawed but enjoyable slice of gothic melodrama and class war in the Upper Hudson valley from 1946 starring Gene Tierney and Vincent Price and directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Haughty and haunted Dutch-American 'Patroon' Nicholas Van Ryn played by Price clashes with his Anti-Rent tenant farmers, and it's his determination to preserve and transfer his ancestral privilege to a male heir that leads him to send for a distant cousin Miranda Wells played by Tierney to come to live in his big old mansion Dragonwyck, where it gets all gothic.

Not without faults, a number of times themes were introduced and then didn't really go anywhere - the anti-rent campaign is quite prominent to begin with and then largely gets forgotten, and there's a nicely done supernatural subplot of sorts featuring Van Ryn's gloomy daughter played creepily well by Connie Marshall which is likewise undeveloped (and the daughter just disappears about halfway through or so). Tierney, Price and the rest of the cast all seem to embrace the slightly silly melodrama though and create an effective atmosphere and overall it's good fun.

Harry Potter all 8 Movies for the last 2 days
You should watch the recent 20-year reunion one-off documentary, quite enjoyable if you like the films.

As an aside thought, I watched Tom Felton aka Malfoy this evening on The One Show, talking about an upcoming film. He comes across as a really likeable bloke. And of all the main actors, he looks like the one who has developed the most towards a decent actor.

In Fabric. My daughter sent it to me. Err, fucking hell! Was not expecting THAT.

Tried to analyse it afterwards, got as far as
it's a sideswipe at consumerism
but no further 🤣

In Fabric. My daughter sent it to me. Err, fucking hell! Was not expecting THAT.

Tried to analyse it afterwards, got as far as
it's a sideswipe at consumerism
but no further 🤣
I would have enjoyed a kitchen sink type film about Sheila, I thought Marianne Jean-Baptiste was excellent

Simple as Water (2021) - very spare, very moving hourlong documentary about being a parent or carer as Syria breaks up and families flee for safety. It's not exploitative, not gory, restrained and dignified - and still one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. (And I'm not even a parent - it may be too wrenching if you have young kids yourself.) Humanist rather than political, beautifully photographed and full of surprises, most of them extremely sad. Worth your time, but not easy viewing.

Lamb...An Icelandic couple workisng as Sheep farmers gain an addition to the family. The trailer makes it look very intense but it's actually very slow. There's some great shots of scenery but I just didn't think it was that good and when the reveal came I felt like I'd seen it before.

Boiling Point - astonishing. It seems to be filmed in one shot like that Michael Keaton film a few years ago, for 90 mins. One night in a restuarant. Stephen Graham. Nuff said. Out there on the torrents.

I liked how intense it was and I imagine a lot of the characters were probably recognisable to anyone who's worked in kitchens even though I haven't myself. The problem for me was none of the storylines went anywhere and there were several opportunities to take the film towards what would have been a better ending.

I liked how intense it was and I imagine a lot of the characters were probably recognisable to anyone who's worked in kitchens even though I haven't myself. The problem for me was none of the storylines went anywhere and there were several opportunities to take the film towards what would have been a better ending.

Not sure how they actually do that. The one shot thing. And I think the fact the storylines didn't really end was the point in a way. Chaos.

Not sure how they actually do that. The one shot thing. And I think the fact the storylines didn't really end was the point in a way. Chaos.
Yea I thought the one take thing is what makes it stand out. It must be really difficult to pull off.

There have been quite a number of feature films shot in one take or at least shot in long takes and then edited to seem like it, Hitchcock's Rope from 1948 being the first one.

I believe this one genuinely was shot in one take, something that's only become possible since films have been shot digitally. They rehearse like a stage play and then they shoot it several times till it works.

Last edited:
Also it was built out of a short made by Barantini with Graham, so they've lived with the bones and guts of this story and its characters a long time.

I can't believe that. I kept trying to see an error, even from an extra. And there were none.
This is nothing compared to Mike Figgis Timecode from 2000, the first feature film to genuinely be shot in one take. That film is split into four different screens and four cameras simultaneously following four plot lines which keep intersecting at certain points.

I did notice one bit where someone almost
Well that and Steven Graham. He's incredible in all he does.
I disagree, he's done some stuff where he just plays Stephen Graham and he was terrible in the North Water just after Boiling Point. Sometimes when his wife's picking his roles she picks some shit.

Not seen Boiling Point, but I do think there is a tendency on these one shoot films to focus so much on the idea/concept that other elements go put the window. The German crime flick Victoria being an example, story and characterisation put second to the concept.
This is nothing compared to Mike Figgis Timecode from 2000, the first feature film to genuinely be shot in one take. That film is split into four different screens and four cameras simultaneously following four plot lines which keep intersecting at certain points.
Yeah still the best of these really.

--------------

Voyage of Time - Terrence Malick film, rather like a more portentous episode of one of the BBCs natural history documentaries, if you've seen Tree of Life .you've got the jist of it (some of the scenes are used in both). Brad Pitt is no David Attenborough in the narration stakes. Looks stunning but ultimately a bit empty.

A Winter's Tale - Éric Rohmer and with all the good and bad points of Rohmer. He gets an great performance out of Charlotte Véry in the central role . You stick with it, and her, despite the frustrations at times.

Back
Top Bottom